Guest viewing is limited

TKR My recovery story

That is why I did not want to force anything. I read too many accounts like yours @Jockette so I started late last week just rocking back and forth. Even after I was able to do the rotation easily but carefully, I did not want to do too many. Slow and steady is the key.
 
Once you get a rotation you've hit a milestone! :yes!:
 
Hello - I just got the sad news that my grandmother passed away. It wasn’t sudden and we expected it. She was 99 years old and had been moved to hospice a few weeks ago.

My question is, would it be ok to fly at 8 weeks? I still have swelling, stiffness especially after over exertion. The flight would take about 4 hours. Any advise?
 
I am so sorry to hear your sad news xx

I am in the UK and I was told no flying for 3 months after my op.

It may be different advise, perhaps in the USA.

Hopefully others will come along with some info for you or you could explain to your OS the situation. I think the issue is to do with swelling and possible DVT? I am unsure if walking about as often as possible would be ok to help you on a flight.

Hope you get more info soon.

X
 
I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother.

I think you should ask your surgeon if he/she is OK with you flying so soon.

If you are given permission to fly, here is some useful advice:
Flying soon after surgery
 
I’m sorry to hear about your grandmother. If it turns out that you are unable to go I’m sure she would want you to take good care of yourself at this early stage of your recovery.

I know you want to be there with family, probably some family members you haven’t seen in a long time, but I think that big of a trip could take quite a toll on you. :console2:
 
Hi: I am sorry about your grandmother, I am new here, but wanted to jump in to say that my OS gave me the ok to travel to Japan (an eleven hour flight) just over 8 weeks post TKR, as long as I got up and walked around the airplane every two hours or so and wore compression socks (b/c of DVT concern). I went to Japan, where I did a fair amount of walking, using a cane (but that was mostly because my arthritic non-replaced knee was bugging me a lot) and had a wonderful time and no problems or regrets. So, I'd ask your doc, as it may be fine...
 
I had a 5 hour flight at 6 weeks. The physician’s assistant prescribed a regular Asprin 5 days before the flight, while I was away and 5 days after the return flight. I was up every hour walking up and down and did heel pumps while sitting. I had compression socks and I brought small and larger freezer bags and filled one with ice after I got through security. Got a cup of ice from the flight attendant to top it up. I also packed 2 of my freezer packs in my checked bag to use while I was away. I found the actual flight somewhat uncomfortable and had some lower leg swelling added to the regular knee swelling but that dissipated over the next couple of days. Sorry about your grandmother. It will be nice to go and celebrate her life with family.
 
Her life is definitely worth celebrating. We are so grateful to God for keeping her with us for 99 years of a life well lived.

I left a message with my OS staff to see what he says. I hardly slept last night. On top of my usual knee discomfort I kept thinking about all the what ifs.

Thank you @Celle @Suzette @Jockette @mscdiver @CdnCarol for your kind words and sympathy.

Thanks again. Other than my family, it’s nice to know my BoneSmart family is also here for me.
 
My condolences on your grandmother’s passing. You’ve gotten excellent advice on how to take a long flight. Definitely consider arranging a wheelchair if you are going through a major (large) airport. Less time on your feet at security, as they’ll pass you through. At your stage of recovery, you will likely get some swelling from the flight, but your knee will settle back down with some TLC after. Being there to celebrate your grandmother’s life is important for you and also your family. Have a safe flight.
 
9 1/2 Weeks Update- I’m getting along a bit better. Walking mostly without the cane and making conscious effort to walk heel to toe. Still have some difficulty sleeping at night. I’m waking up about 3x a night (a bit after midnight, 3 am, and 5 am when my alarm wakes me up). It takes me a little while to go back to sleep but I’m guessing 1/2 later I’m back asleep. (It might be less than 1/2 hour although it seems like it in my internal clock.) As far as pain is concerned I’m not getting the stabbing nerve pain that brought me to tears in the early days. I still have about 3 inches of swelling above my knee.

I measured my ROM today with an App (PeerWell) using an iPhone and that was a disappointing 89 degrees. The extension was measure at 16 but I think there is something wrong with how that was measured. I have quite a bit of swelling on top of my knee so it might have been measuring the bump. I’m not sure how to measure since I don’t go to PT anymore.

I still have the stiffness above my knee due to swelling and my hamstring tendons are tender. I need to walk more. I haven’t been outside to walk. Mostly I walk inside while doing my ADLs. On weekends I walk more as we tend to do our shopping then.

I started to do 5 minutes of biking (slow and without tension) every other day. It’s not super easy but I figured it could help.

I still ice and elevate most of the day. I do take a break from icing in the evenings. For some reason I’m not able to tolerate cold on my knee in the evening.

I also started to wear a Tubigrip bandage on my TKR and non TKR knee. My non surgical knee is starting to bother me more and more. I think it is nearly bone on bone. I sometimes switch the cane to the right side to give my non surgical knee a break.

I do get pain when I get out of bed largely because I tend to bend my knee at night. Also when I’m sitting in the car if I opt to ride in the front. As of late I have been riding on the back with my knee propped up on top of the middle front seat compartment.

I’m still not driving. I think I want to try a short spin around the block this weekend to see how I do. If it works out, I plan to drive to my GP appointment next week.

That’s it for now. Sorry it was so long.
 
That sounds about right for 9 1/2 weeks. :thumb:

I didn’t drive until about 11 weeks, and I had my left knee done. I’m not crazy about driving, and until then I didn’t have to. We are retired and pretty much go most places together.
 
I measured my ROM today with an App (PeerWell) using an iPhone and that was a disappointing 89 degrees. The extension was measure at 16 but I think there is something wrong with how that was measured.
None of those measurements you get is going to be 100% accurate. It all depends so much on where exactly you put the tool, and that can vary every time.

I would disregard a number like 89 - it's so close to 90 that really there's no difference. And in any case it's possible to get a difference of as much as 10 degrees or more between measurements. Instead, look on it as being "somewhere between 85 and 95." If you're around that at this time in recovery, you're doing OK.

Try not to focus on the numbers. It only makes you worried.
What you can do with your knee is far more important.
 
I have a question about medication. I read on this forum that a lot of people take Tramadol in combination with Tylenol. An orthopedic doctor I went to see for a consultation (not my actual OS) prescribed Tramadol for Arthritis pain to take on really bad days. In off days I took Meloxicam twice a day. I have discontinued Meloxicam since my TKR. The last time I took Tramadol it gave me a horrible headache. It was similar to a migraine. That time I had taken a dose during the day and one at night.

I’ve been tempted to take Tramadol but I’m afraid of the headaches. Anyone ever experienced headaches after taking Tramadol or heard of others who have? I have an appointment tomorrow with my PCP and wanted to discuss pain management as well as getting the tablet form of Gabapentin do I can wean off when the time comes.
 
I've not had any problems with headaches while taking Tramadol. I found the Tylenol/Tramadol combo worked well for me!
 
Hi I take cocodamol and that gives me a weird head ache. I have noticed that if I take tramadol intermittently I do get a head ache but not to the extent if a migraine though. I didn't actually notice a headache at all when I was taking them all the time at the beginning of the TKR. so maybe it's taking them now and again that causes this headache pain.

I hope you get it sorted soon though. X
 
The last time I took Tramadol it gave me a horrible headache. It was similar to a migraine. That time I had taken a dose during the day and one at night.

I’ve been tempted to take Tramadol but I’m afraid of the headaches. Anyone ever experienced headaches after taking Tramadol or heard of others who have? I have an appointment tomorrow with my PCP and wanted to discuss pain management as well as getting the tablet form of Gabapentin do I can wean off when the time comes.
I think the Tramadol headache is something you need to discuss with your PCP while you're talking about pain management and weaning off the Gabapentin.
 
All drugs can have side effects and headaches figure pretty prominently in most of them.
A site I always use for drug information is drugs.com
 

Staff online

  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
Back
Top Bottom