Guest viewing is limited

TKR My recovery feels like it is to slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
exercises: straight leg raises, bend knee, knee stretch with a rolled towel under leg, thigh tension, foot swings and forward and back. Sitting on a chair with a skateboard under my L/knee push back and forward to assist with my knee bend. 3 x times a day.
Anything that hurts or puts force through the knee isn't needed this early.

Strength exercises not needed yet, all you need is mobility.

I've highlighted those that might be surplus to requirements right now.

All the rest are gentle mobility stretches, spot on :thumb:
 
Hi, Lel, welcome to BoneSmart. Don't be surprised when a moderator moves your first post to your own dedicated recovery thread that's All About You. We've all got one :)
 
Thanks Roy- how will I find it if it is moved? I'm not a very technical person- in fact it's taken me a while to work out how to put a post up in the first place!
 
OK; in the top right of your browser window is your user name; run your mouse over it and a drop-down appears; on there click 'your content' to see a list of all your postings. Voila!

Edit: Of course, if it's moved before you read the instructions above, you could be in trouble :)

Except if the moderator moves the post but leaves the follow-ups, of course.

Reminds me of a computer I had delivered once; on opening the box the book of instructions was on top. First picture in the book showed someone opening the box...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Lel---I moved your post to your own thread, so you can take a look at that---it is called simply, "Lel's Recovery Thread"---we can change the title to what you would like, if you wish.
 
I have came to terms that my running, soccer and touch football days are over. I am looking forward to life with my new knee, walking without a limp, knee not giving way, knee not locking and the constant pain. Even though I have a lot of pain due to the procedure, I hope that with time that will decrease.

Hi Collie, please don't count yourself out of the activities you love. I was the same way as you. First off, my first TKR was absolutely horrible, horrible pain. I felt like I'd never get well, I used to worry and complain on here all of the time that my knee would never bend again. But things did start turning around after 8-12 weeks.

I was a long distance runner, this was a HUGE part of my life, who I was. My very first post on Bonesmart was in February 2011 asking if I can run again after TKR surgery. I got many, many encouraging replies. At 6 months post op I walked a 5k in 47:30 my goal was to do it under one hour. Afterwards I've, elevate and rest. In October I walked another 5k and did fine. At 8 months post op I ran a 5 mile Jingle Bell Run at an 11:25 pace and charged up the hills from the strong quads I'd built in Physical Therapy. At 9 months post op I ran a 1/2 marathon. My goal was to do it under 3 hours and I did it in 2:47:10. After that I was satisfied that I could do it and told myself I'd back off running and cycle as I continued to heal. I joined a cycling club and would go on group rides. Several rides at 36 miles, one at 42 miles and VERY hilly and a 50 miler. I then got a mountain bike too, then started riding in the dirt. Up until this time I can say that my knee never felt great but I could still do the active things that I loved to do. During the time I was cycling I'd run one day a week up to 6 miles at a time. But...this is where you and I part ways...

by October 2012 I was losing my ROM, in March 2013 I could still pedal a bike but only with the middle of my TKR foot. I had been going back to my OS and complaining of pain and loss of ROM but he would brush me off telling me to go to Physical Therapy. I'd been in Physical Therapy for two years. I found a new doctor who told me just what I suspected and that was my knee was FULL of scar tissue. This is what took away my ROM. I had surgery to remove it. They freed up my knee to let another TKR specialist determine that I had ligament I instability which made my platform sloppy with side to side movement which in turn was always inflaming my knee thus growing scar tissue.

So why did I just tell you all that? Because you'll see that I had a revision and I wanted you to know that it was not from being active, it was from lose ligaments with my first TKR. Don't give up on my dreams of being active again. Dick Beardsley (former USA Olympian) has bilateral TKR's and runs a 1/2 marathon several times a month all year long, all around the country. I met someone else who ran the Houston Marathon at 6 months post op, then again at 1.5 years post op. I have decided on my own that I will not run long distance again only because I have this revision, but even with my latest surgery (as well as several other doctors in the past) have told me that "a little" running is ok. They just don't give you their blessing and say GO RUN! The last doctors visit I was at for my post revision I was told this: we have a patient that is 5' 3" inches tall and weighs 400 pounds. Me at 122 pounds and 5' 3" if I did a five 5k I'd be putting less stress on my knee that the 400 pound woman would put on her knee every day. They didn't tell me to run but gave me the analogy instead.

All is not lost, hang in there and be patient. Listen to your body, you are still very early in recovery. I'll be 4 weeks on Monday the 30th and soon I'll be out there on my bike again and walking 10 miles and do an occasional 5k just for fun!
 
  • Agree
Reactions: pdx
1.Pain Levels Generally it does vary from day to day with some days getting up around the 7 mark for a time. I was told in hospital try not get it over 3.
What makes it peak to 7?
2. Medication - 1 x OxyContin 20mg, 2xParacetamol Twice a day every 12hrs
1 x Endone 5mg 2x Paracetamol 3 to 4 times a day(depends on pain level ) aprox every 4hrs
I do hope you're not taking more than 8 paracetamol tablets per 24hrs, are you?
Other than that, do you feel this all controls your pain well?


As for exercises - you haven't given any details, meaning how many of each per session
walking most mornings(dependent on pain level) aprox 500mtr
straight leg raises
bend knee
knee stretch with a rolled towel under leg
thigh tension
foot swings and forward and back
sitting on a chair with a skateboard under my L/knee push back and forward
3 x times a day
 
@Josephine

walking most mornings(dependent on pain level) aprox 500mtr x 1 a day
straight leg raises
bend knee
knee stretch with a rolled towel under leg
thigh tension
foot swings and forward and back
sitting on a chair with a skateboard under my L/knee push back and forward
3 x times a day x 10 ea

NO I DONT TAKE MORE THAN 8 paracetamol ( it is written on my box of paracetamol max up to 8 per day)
I wish I knew why some days the pain is up there. But I have had a high pain level since surgery in the hospital the nurses told me it was due to my age, as younger patients have higher pain level (just great).
Maybe the medication is not right for me, some days it seems to take longer to kick in.
My next appointment with my GP is on the 6 Jan and my surgeon 17 Jan, any changes to my meds will have to wait till then.
 
3 x times a day x 10 ea
Thank you - I think you should try doing 2 times a day at the most. And reduce the quantity like so ....

walking most mornings (dependent on pain level) aprox 500mtr x 1 a day - too far, just walk for 10 mins

straight leg raises - do 5 reps
bend knee- try - do 5 reps
knee stretch with a rolled towel under leg leave this for the next couple of weeks
thigh tension - do 5 reps
foot swings and forward and back - no more than 5 reps
sitting on a chair with a skateboard under my L/knee push back and forward - do 5 reps

Also, do remember you are only 3½ weeks out which is incredibly early on and you therefore need to take things a lot more easily.
 
@RunA42K,

Thanks for your support, I know that as my recovery moves along my quality of life will improve and I will get back to doing some of the things I love to do. Although my surgeon has recommended that I do not run, play soccer & touch football any more.

As a Defence Force Member fitness has always being a large part of my life and normal day. I went from doing 6 days a week workouts to nothing due to my arthroscopy and the two blood 2 clots in the left calf 3 weeks post surgery. The lack of activity has seen me put on weight and played with my mind some what. I lost muscle and strength in my left leg. Once I was told there was no option but a TKR my physo changed my rehab and I worked on building strength and building muscle to ensure I had the best chance of a good recovery. I was very happy with what I achieved prior to surgery. My surgeon was very happy that I had done this work and said that most people would do nothing and feel sorry for themselves.

MY TKR was due to a crush injury by a 10,000lb forklift while on deployment in 2006. Years later it came back to bit me(always knew it would somehow). Going from having a lot of responsibility and in charge of a large team, to not working & when I returned it was only part days behind a desk. WOW so not me at all, it makes you feel so useless I understand why it was that way, it does not make it any easier though.

My work colleges often say if a 10,000lb will not kill me nothing will.. I use that strength to keep me going through this recovery. I have to say with all the deployments, time away from family and friends, living in some crappy conditions, working long days and the things I have seen during my time. This is by far the most challenging thing I have taken on.

I am positive that I will bounce back, reading all the posts in this forum shows me that and my own want to return will get me there. I just have to get over a few speed humps along the way.

As the saying goes what does not kill you will make you stronger. I do believe in his...

I wish you well on you recovery and it sees you getting back to what you love doing.

Cheers

Cheers
 
@Josephine ,

Taken on board and will reduce the exercises. You are so right I am only a short time into my recovery and I have to remember this. I have to re-train my brain and not to be so hard on myself is the key.

The reduced exercise starts today lets see how it goes.

Thanks heaps
Cheers
 
Sounds like probably for you, the tough thing will be taking it a little easy. :wink:But you have a good attitude with is good.
 
Today is 4 weeks post TKR, swelling has gone down, scar seems to healing well. The area around the scar is still numb but I can feel some feeling starting to came back, still have the restless leg usually at night.
I still have my up and down days and the pain levels very day to day. I have reduced some of my exercises on advise and seem to be doing better.

Look forward to moving on with my recovery and start to enjoy life with my new knee. Bring on the new year tonight and hope for a great 2014.

Cheers
 
[Bonesmart.org] My recovery feels like it is to slow.
Hope you and yours have had a wonderful Christmas holiday with lots of family fellowship and sharing of gifts and lots of good food to eat.


I’ll be looking for you at the BoneSmart annual New Year’s Party. It’s been a very eventful year for most of us---and will be a very eventful year coming up for others of us looking forward to surgery in the new year.


Remember to bring food and drink to share---and pictures are always appreciated and loads of fun to share.


SEE YOU AT THE PARTY!!!!!
[Bonesmart.org] My recovery feels like it is to slow.
bottomshollow
 
Hi and welcome. I had my RTKRalmost 3 months ago. My recovery is going very slowly. But I am improving! I'm 41 and my surgeon also mentioned that his young patients have more pain and usually a slower recovery (not fair if you ask me) :-) I'm still dealing with lots of swelling (much more than average, apparently), but I am still plugging along! Just remember to keep in mind that this is a very long journey! Good luck!
Heather
 
Hi Collie!
My LTKR was on 11Dec2013. I had my right knee done 4 yrs ago. They are very different as far as recovery. Sounds like you are doing fine. I try not to be too impatient with myself but I get frustrated and then I get all upset. Hang in there--we both have quite a journey ahead of us!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom