TKR My new knee<

Had TKR in January 2016 but still cannot bend knee. I have followed all advice given rest, ice, swimming etc. All I get is excuses from consultants who I have seen 6-7 times telling me how ligaments have tightened and there is no resolution as it sometimes happens.

Does anyone know anything about this?

I have just had THR 7 weeks ago and I'm doing really well but Dr told me they tried knee manipulation but has not worked. I'm really fed up as cannot bend this knee. I'm in no pain what so ever.

Any advice please


Tommy
 
@abbie1 you will notice that I reopened your original recovery thread and merged your recent post into it as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. If you would like a new thread title just give a shout.

I am sure one of the colleagues on the knee side of this board will be along soon to give you advice. Can you please confirm your TKR was in 2015?
 
Seeing a different dr for a second opinion would be my advice. You can look for someone who's a revision specialist as they are able to see or recognize issues other surgeons don't. Since you're in the U.K. @Josephine may be able to help with a surgeon.
 
yes tkr was done on 3/1/2015

thank you but have been in a dark place recently and now got myself together
 
Tommy, did I read right, that you have also had a hip replacement, about 7 weeks ago? What was the date of that? And did your surgeon do a manipulation of your knee at the same time? If so, did he say how far he was able to bend your knee?
 
I have just had THR 7 weeks ago and I'm doing really well
A hip is very much easier to go through than a knee, Abbie.
Dr told me they tried knee manipulation but has not worked.
I'm a bit puzzled by this. There are a couple of way to interpret it.
1. That he obtained a good flexion but it didn't last when you woke up
2. That he couldn't obtain a good flexion​
Do you know which it was?

And having read through this thread from the start, I see that you had been doing lots of very aggressive exercise and I suspect you are still doing these.

So I'm going to ask you these questions again so I can see what you are doing now. Then I can give you some structured advice.

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine) (Don't forget to include other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness)..

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how swollen is your leg compared to these?
[Bonesmart.org] My new knee<


4. what is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

5. are you icing your knee at all? If so, how often and for how long?

6. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

7. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

8. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.
 
my knee is moderate rom is 40 when sitting cannot bend knee back in towards my self, i have no pain in my knee at all ,i elevate my knee everyday, the swelling goes down but always comes back, i stopped icing as told by dr i think it was liasions or something he said and i would always have swelling as liasions damage sometimes happens and knee stays stiff.
i have been mobile doing all normal daily routines walk dog, swimming and housework but the bending of the knee restricts things i can do,find it difficult to do stairs,i moved house to ground floor flat it is that bad

regards

tommy
 
You can actually do the rx exercises to much and cause more swelling. I was one who pushed myself as I was being pushed and if anything all it did was set me back, when I finally became frustrated at not being able to please everyone along the way (p/t, surgeon ) and followed the less is more, I actually started doing better.
I am a yr out and due in 2 days for my yr-ly follow up, I still have swelling as of yet, it's about 1/2 again as my non surgical knee, I also still deal with some of that tight band feeling above the knee. For the most part I feel pretty darn good with my knee joint so I try not to worry about it and figure the rest of the recovery will come in time.
 
@abbie1 My dear, could you please answer my questions as I have written them - 1, 2 and so on. Then I can make sense of them.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom