TKR my knee on the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.

jensen01

Hi every one. Op all ok, wasn't too bad. Having nausea and vomiting due to sensitivity to the drugs. A tablet given is doing the job. Walked to toilet with frame today with physio and done exercise. They said I'm doing ok. Just sat in chair now, elevated with ice/cryo cuff. Much relief. Had a bad night, no sleep, feeling pain. Doctor gave orapmorph prn as well as the other drugs. Hope to get better each day :angel:

The surgeon appears happy all went well. The make of implant is Zimmer New Generation and he said it was a good fit.
x Marie

Hi there Jensen. The great thing about the first few days is being in the stimulating environment of the hospital (!) I had lots of nausea too. It was worse with vicodin so I switched to percocet (oxycodone/paracetemol). In the hospital they had to give me spiranolactone IV on a regular basis to keep me feeling OK. It's a great anti-nausea medicine that doesn't make you sleepy. I also had to push in order to get enough pain medication. I took their puny little pain pill every four hours but then halfway between the pain pills one nurse would give me a demerol shot.

Start advocating for yourself because you'll be doing that for months to come! One way to do that is to confer with the nurse at the beginning of her/his shift and mutually agree on goals for that shift (e.g., pain and nausea control) and how to address it. Be specific! Perhaps the nurse needs your doctor to write new orders. Good luck!

Thank you. The doctor has taken me off codeine and given me new meds including anti sickness. I have just taken them as we speak and just had a little soup and ice cream for lunch. Hoping to keep it down. All is going ok. I will take another little walk later then more ice.

So glad your surgery is over. That nausea can be a killer!! Took several days of different to get mine under control. After getting over it, everything is moving along nicely. Hang in there--keep ahead of the pain. Keep us posted.

Feel better soon, Jensen! I can not relate or give advice becuase my surgery is a week away but hoping you turn a corner soon!~

Feeling much better this afternoon, happy and in good spirits. Been for a little walk on the corridor then rest and ice cyro cuff. Knee feels not too bad when I walked on it gently. Not doing too bad for day one after surgery.

Cathy glad to hear you're doing well :)

Wow, so good to hear from you! Do you think the codine was causing the nausea (that can often be the case I think?) I had a similar reaction to it years ago so with my TKR I told them; they avoided it and I was fine. No nausea at all, thank goodness...because that is just the worst :sad: Glad it is under control and you're feeling better.

Isn't it amazing that you can actually walk on the new knee so soon? What an amazing feeling and truly makes you feel like you've accomplished something really special :happydance: . You have! Atta girl!:yay:

Interesting you also have the new generation Zimmer...that is what I have...and I'm really, really pleased with my recovery. I think you will be too.

Keep up the good work and just rest and recuperate!

Heidi

Hi Marie, it is so good to hear from you! I, also, have problems with nausea/vomiting after most opiates. When I had my brain surgery we worked out the antinausea med first, then the IV and/or shot of the pain med. Since the nurses were tired of cleaning up mess after mess they ALWAYS remembered! I can take Percocet (go figure) so I think I will be in good shape after the IV has to come out.
I am also getting a Zimmer CR something or other knee. I cannot wait to take my first walk with it.
Keep on doing well, and so glad recovery is here for you! xx:dancy:

s. :kittykiss:

Nausea is pretty common. Your body has been through a lot. Don't be surprised if you don't have an appetite either. Pain meds do odd things. (Be sure to take a stool softener when you get home. Colace is the most common.):heehee: Pain meds are notorious for gumming up the works. Glad you are doing well.

Good going for you. Here's the recovery articles ...

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

And wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM

Hi Marie, so glad to hear that you are doing well now and managed to keep that soup and ice cream down :sick: Take it easy and I hope all is going well with you and you get some sleep tonight! take care :beg: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile:

day 2 after surgery is going well had a good 6 hours sleep last night pain meds are good they make me sleepy walked to bathroom this morning with zimmer frame washed and dressed and had tea and toast for brekie the surgeon has been to see me this am and said all is going well knee and leg more swollen today so to ge more ice on it its only swelled more since been walking around advised by pysio the surgeon said the knee sholuld bend more on day 2 so more ice today for me :)

Glad that you have come through the operation OK - my mother had her TKR in Sheffield a couple of years ago

Sounds like you are doing well Marie! So glad that you are getting some quality sleep, that really helps in the recovery process. And tea and toast for breakfast very nice :puppysmooze: My hospital room had an eastern exposure and the morning sun poured in - I would sit there in bed with my coffee and muffin and just soak up the sun, sip my coffee and feel good. (When I go back in the fall to have the other knee done I'm going to request that same room! Wonder if one can do that - like in a hotel?)

Curious, is a zimmer what we call a walker in the US?

Heidi

Hi Jensen,
Good Luck with your recovery !!! :) I'm glad you got your meds in order. Sunny days ahead with
your new knee :SUNsmile:take care & keep us up-dated with your progress. We care :friends:
Diana :flwrysmile:

hi baystater yes a zimmer is a walker pysio came today and took it away and gave me crutchs she observed me walking s little on them and was ok.shes going to watch me on the stairs tomorrow to see how i go a lot of swelling today so it makes movement harder working on ice and rest today they said it should bend more than it is on day 2 but if its swollen its not going to is it the pysio lady is very bossy and i feel shes pushing me too soon she says she isnt its what is needed after TKR walking slowly on crutchs is fine but exausting and im tired out on the bed for ice and rest

Some of the PT's have kind of bossy attitudes :hissy: - I had one in the hospital who wanted me to bend it more than I felt I could and I tried my best, but it hurt! Once I was home things were better, I found I could increase the bend without the pressure of someone barking orders at me! That said I have been lucky to have a PT coming to the house 3x a week, she's been great. She gently encourages and gets me to increase my ROM sometimes by changing the way I do the exercises. The quad lifts were the hardest thing for me but she just kept helping me and it worked. She's Australian which I love - just a nice attitude and a lovely accent! (Of course to her I'm probably the one with the accent.)
How long will you be in the hospital? 3 or 4 nights seems to be standard here in the US. I was so happy to get home and I instantly felt better. You will too! :SUNsmile:

Heidi

maybe late tomorrow or saturday i will be home.depends if the knee can make it upstairs with.crutchs whilst pysio watchs me if there happy they will let me home and i cant wait :)

Glad your surgery went well; too bad you have to deal with a bossy PT (hopefully your new one will be nicer). That is one of my fears of getting a pushy PT. DO you have stairs at home that you have to deal with? How is your stomach feeling? Hope you get to go home soon; keep us posted!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020