TKR My Journey

It just dawned on me that my discomfort increased when I switched from Celebrex back to the Meloxicam I had been on prior to my surgery. I contacted my surgeon to see if I can go back on the Celebrex to see if the discomfort improves.

During my PT session this morning I was able to stand up from one of my kitchen chairs unassisted and without pushing myself up. I’ve not been able to do that for at least ten years!

Angry knee! I drove to the grocery store this morning (30 minutes) and spent about 15 minutes in the store. Then drove home and my knee isn’t happy at all! Ice and elevation are my afternoon activity.

As Jockette says, “Drama queen knee” :heehee: . Sounds like you are doing great, though.

Shopping is the worse activity for me too. I’m out for the day after a big shop. If we had a delivery service here, I would most certainly use it and forgo the excitement of an excursion (sad that it has come to this being a treat!)

Angry knee! I drove to the grocery store this morning (30 minutes) and spent about 15 minutes in the store. Then drove home and my knee isn’t happy at all! Ice and elevation are my afternoon activity.
I'm not surprised your knee was angry. A total of 60 minutes driving, plus time in the grocery store was a lot more activity than is recommended for this early in recovery.
Your knee wasn't being a Drama Queen. It was simply telling you that you'd asked it to do more than it was ready for.

Do check your activity against what is recommended in this article:
Activity progression for TKRs

Thirty-eight days with my new knee and I am very pleased with my progress. No longer using assistive devices except if I’m going to get my mail up the gravelled driveway. It has been extremely hot here in Georgia so any outside tasks are done early in the morning. I enjoy my screened porch with my girls in the afternoons, reading or just “being”. I watch the bluebirds and flycatchers busy with their wee families and have a doe and her fawn who come and enjoy my garden (at least they’re enjoying the fruits of my pre-op planting).

My surgeon did agree to switch me back to the Celebrex after I noticed some discomfort and a bit of swelling after going back on the meloxicam which I had been on for a couple of years. Restarted Celebrex today and optimistic about it working better for me. I only take acetaminophen every ten hours and my discomfort is well managed. I have an appointment with my surgeon on Tuesday morning which will be a one hour drive each way. I am going to stop and get gas at the 30 minute mark to give the leg a break and will make a stop for lunch at the same point on the way home. Overall, feeling great!

@FourCats great update! Sounds like you are doing really well.

Good luck with your long drive on Tuesday. You plan to stop along the way sound spot on! Let us know how it goes.

FourCats, keep us posted as to your post-op check up. Sounds like you are doing great!

I had my six week follow up this morning and my surgeon was amazed as he saw me walking with no assistive device and no limp! When he came into the exam room I said “watch this” and got up out of the chair without using my hands to push up with. He said with a laugh “now you’re just showing off!” I will continue my exercises without PT coming to my home and return in two months for next follow up. The drive (one hour each way) was not too bad but he was running behind schedule so the extra 45 minutes in the waiting room increased the stiffness and swelling. I did get up and walk around and stretch a few times while waiting and stopped halfway during the drive to get out and straighten the leg. Home now with leg elevated and iced!

Congratulations on such a good follow-up appointment. Well done!

Great report! Congratulations! :wow:

Appointment with my endocrinologist this morning = second one hour drive (each way) but I’m optimistic after the positive experience on Tuesday. And there is a Starbucks on the route to his office so planning to treat myself after fasting for labs! :mcoffee:

Glad it was a successful outing for you! A good day like that can be a real shot in the arm!

I have a nickname for my new knee ... knee-teorologist ... there’s definitely a change in weather coming to my area.

Exercise or exorcism? I think my new knee might be possessed. When I’m lying down in bed and straighten the leg, it will (without my doing anything) slowly move Itself into a bent position. I can feel it and i can stop it but it’s just really creepy that it seems to have a mind of it’s own!!

Very pleased that I was able to mow my yard this morning before it gets too hot. Was able to do most with the lawn tractor and the rest with the trimmer so didn’t have to pull out the push mower! Another step on the road to independence!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dcytpoti
Recent bookmarks
Back