TKR My Journey

Continuing to do well with minimal discomfort. I did experience some muscle spasms during the night and my PT gave me a couple of suggestions to relieve them when she was here this morning. I have transitioned to using my cane while indoors about 95% of the time; I still use the walker at night to get up to the bathroom and first thing in the morning until the legs wake up! Cut down to 1000mg acetaminophen every eight hours rather than every six and it is working well. Overall I’m a very happy RTKR!
 
:spin: :dancy:
Great news, FourCats! So happy for you! Yes, takes a while in the morning for legs to wake up!
Keep up the good work!
 
I finally figured out the muscle spasms are connected to my restless legs syndrome. I have endured this condition most of my adult life and have been taking ropinirole for about ten years about an hour before bedtime. I guess the reduced activity and trauma to my right leg are making me more aware of the uncontrollable leg jerks. I’m now cutting the ropinirole in half and taking it every twelve hours to keep it active in my system. I’ll keep you posted if the muscle spasms go away.
 
I agree with the other posts about not doing squats, I too tried and suffered for it. Puts too much pressure on the joint, straight leg lifts will get your quads in shape wIthout stressing the knees too much. You will find yourself doing light squats by picking up cat dishes when your knee is ready!
 
I stayed away from squats, too. They are very bad for a baby knee.
 
Yeah, I tried the squats with a kettlebell, that backfired.
 
I had my first outing today. My sister and I went to eat at our local Mexican restaurant, sitting outside on a beautiful day. Then a trip to the grocery store! Who knew a trip to get groceries could be so exciting! :loll:

I‘m pooped out but feel great. Came home, elevated and iced!
 
Me too! A Supermarket trip is such a big treat. I’m very easy to please at the moment
 
Tomorrow marks four weeks (my how time flies when you’re having fun!) and I only use my cane when I go out of the house. Range of motion yesterday was 110, up from 94 last week. I’ve been using my pedal exerciser twice a day and really feel it is helping loosen the tightness and improving my flexibility. Goal for PT tomorrow is walking to the mailbox and back. It’s about an eighth of a mile on gravel so it will take attention and concentration. My PT is going to carry one of my lawn chairs to the halfway point for me in case I need to rest along the way. Then my next adventure will be a trip to the dump to empty my trash (3 mile drive) to see how driving goes.
 
Sounds like a good plan to venture onto gravel for the first time with your PT.
 
Made it to the mailbox yesterday morning with my PT and cane! Am up at this crazy hour with muscle spasms so just ordered magnesium cream to see if that works. Will be venturing to the dump today (first time driving) after my PT worked with me getting in and out of the car. Looking forward to being a bit more independent in getting out and about!
 
I am noticing how difficult it is to relax my leg. As hard as I try, all of a sudden I realize how I have tightened it up. I try again with the same result. It always feels tense. Any thoughts?
 
Will be venturing to the dump today (first time driving) after my PT worked with me getting in and out of the car.
Just be careful what you do at the dump. It's probably too early to be dumping rubbish - only a month since you had major surgery.

I think your first drive should be a short trip to and from somewhere, not actually doing anything when you get there. Make sure you can do an emergency stop before you venture into traffic.
 
I am noticing how difficult it is to relax my leg. As hard as I try, all of a sudden I realize how I have tightened it up. I try again with the same result. It always feels tense. Any thoughts?
I would find myself tightening up with pain. Most of my pain was in the form of what I call achy stiffness. What are you doing for pain control? I continued to take tylenol for quite a while after I was done with the prescription pain meds.
The other thing might be to do some very gentle stretches.
 
@kneeper it is actually when I tighten up that I have the discomfort. It’s not unbearable but I’d rather not have it at all! I’m on acetaminophen every 8 hours. I ordered some magnesium lot after reading about the success some have had; it should be here midweek and I’m optimistic it might help.
 
Rough night with stiffness in the knee. Just couldn’t get comfortable. But the sun is shining and it’s a fresh start!
 
Every day a new day filled with hope!
I, too, woke up this morning feeling very stiff in both knees. Here comes that roller coaster...
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom