My BTKR is March 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh wait, I heard backpacking and came a runnin'
Great to have you with us @Tomel !:)

Is hiking and backpacking in your future, something you'd like to do again?
Is there a list of things you plan to do after you heal from you TKR?
 
@Derby @icep707 @RickSt @referee54 @1ELISEA @suzzee2000 @RedRider @Karringtyn @bottomshollow @Lovestoread

First post in several days.
I have been spending most of my free time reading all the fabulous threads and the library articles. Must admit though, I was shying away from the post-op side up until recently. Such a variety of recovery stories. Guess the bottom line is that we are all going to have our own individual journeys. The advice from all of you who have already cross over to the recovery side is priceless. I thought that I had compiled a pretty good ‘to do list’, but now I’ve add several things from your posts. Thanks for taking the time to write and helping the rest of us.
 
So stoked to see you gathering as much info as you can tomel, the more you know the better!
 
@VancouverUSAgal Good point! I see where it's possible to get discouraged if you forget that.

Thanks Linda, I'll add that to my collection of pearls.
 
Tomel...that is so true!!! :) I am finally all ready and I too had some of the best suggestions that I went out once again today to make sure I had everything I need! :)
 
@Tomel Welcome! I'm just two months out from BTKR, and I wouldn't change my decision for anything. The first couple of weeks were the most difficult for me, I came straight home after the hospital rather than go to a rehab facility (hubby is home all day and helped with everything). It's wise you're exercising and stretching - that will really help afterwards when you're regaining your ROM. The amount of upper body strength needed to haul yourself around cannot be underestimated. I have biceps like a bodybuilder and can almost see a six pack now.

This recovery is challenging, but as the others have said, you've definitely come to the right spot for support, encouragement, knowledge, and assistance. Good luck!!
 
Hi @ekars2
It is amazing how fast the time has past by. You are right by saying that we can do this. Having a positive attitude and the wisdom from the other smarties is the best medicine!
I still try to do the pre-op exercises every day, it keeps me busy and hopefully it will help with recovery. Your 46 days will also pass quickly and you’ll also be on the other side. Thanks for the post, I hope all is smooth sailing for you.
 
Folks - you don't need to quote a post every time to reply to it, so please don't do that unless there is something specific you want to refer to.
Just scoot on down to the bottom of the page and start typing!
 
Sounds like you are doing all the right things, plus your attitude is great and you are going to the gym . You are the perfect student . You will be fine . I wasnt aware you were having a bilateral. You are so brave . And I read that this decision was thoroughly thought out . We will be here for you. Before and after. Never to early for stool softeners ! You remind me of me . Very prepared !! And with a positive disposition. Honestly my single tkr has gone relatively easy but I dont know about bilateral , only for the fact , both knees are injured and recovering. So its foreign to me . Wishing you all the best . Take advantage of the rehab center. Just rest , ice and elevate ALL DAY. With the occasional walk and very light exercise. Dont underestimate the energy drain and lack of sleep , they are brutal . Best of luck . ICEMAN
 
Thanks ICEMAN! As you are also familiar with how much help this forum is. I've learned more in the last two weeks than all the books and readings prior to this. Thanks for all the encouragement and pearls of advise from your tkr. I did read your thread and must admitt you and Rick kept me in stitches (pun intended). tom
 
@Tomel I took the liberty of changing the name of your thread. I did this so if anyone does a search for BTKR, this thread will show up. So many people start a thread "New here" but after a couple of weeks they're not 'new' any more so the title needs updating! If there's something else you prefer, just say so and we'll change it again.
 
Woohoo! Two more days and you reclaim your life!! I too stayed away from the recovery side before surgery. I think a part of me should have read a little more. We are all here cheering you on. I am glad to hear you have a supportive wife. My hubs is my rock. I actually just called him and said if I don't get out of this house soon I am going to go psycho. He laughed and said Babe I will take you on a date tonight...where ever you want to go. Support is everything. My friends on here have been my glue. @icep707 is my big bro... @Nana Mo @Nana moon 27 @Bluetechseeker @dogwheels and so many more have been my rock when I have come apart. We will all be here for you too. We understand.

Biggest thing for hospital my friend??? CHAPSTICK!!!!!!!!!! And VERY loose clothes.....the swelling in the knee makes everything uncomfortable I wish I could have worn shorts home...but it was negative two out.

What else can we help you with as you progress? Breathe! Know that your life is about to change and it will be remarkable!!!!! Message me if you need a friend...any time...I am always on....
 
Hi @Tomel! What a great goal to get back out in Mother Nature! Focus on hiking and backpacking so the worries are more manageable. Glad to hear you are still able to be physically active. That will really help in your recovery. Keep thinking those positive thoughts!
 
[Bonesmart.org] My BTKR is March 19
Wanted to share...I love this..
 
I'm still trying to figure out how to use this forum!! (too many drugs)! Hope I do this right!
This site has a wealth of information and I am so glad I found it!

I had BTKR on Feb. 13, 2014. I did exercise before sx but not nearly enough! You don't realize how important a strong upper body comes into play.
I was in hospital for six days then went to a rehab facility for a week. So glad I did that. Home health 3 times a week for two weeks. Start PT this week at an out patient facility. Hope to start driving again this week and maybe working (sit down job) a half day on Friday. We shall see.
I am doing ok, but I feel like I should be further than I am. I am not a very patient person when it comes to being down. Still have swelling, pain and stiffness. As of yesterday, my right knee has had a sore floating feeling and it is making it hard to walk. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I can't wait to read more posts from people on this site and I am so glad we have somewhere to go for support.
 
Hi and thank all of you so much for all the good wishes and encouragements. @Karringtyn I love the poster. Reminds me of the times we were hiking up hill, for what seemed to be forever, to see the view from the summit of some mountain. It was always worth it! I agree whole heartily that knowing that you have a loving support team at home is priceless. I hope your date night is special.


I am doing ok, but I feel like I should be further than I am.
Hi and welcome @2014knees You have definitely found the best FORUM. I have on my desk top the picture from the show Kung Fu that referee54 sent to me. I also need to be reminded on a daily basis......
Patience, Grasshopper, Patience!!
His post #14 is one of several that I re-read often.

@TracyW Thanks for stopping by. The last hike I was able to do (well, sort of do anyway) was in Washington state on Whidbey Island. That was almost two years ago. I couldn't help then but think it would be my last. Now I have a renewed outlook and some catching up to do. That's my goal, that keeps me going. Best of luck in April, you'll do great.

Tom
 
@Tomel
First pair of shoes I bought after my TKR surgery, were...... I think they were my hiking boots from REI.


All the best with your upcoming surgery!


Do let us know how everything goes once you reach the other side!
 
I'll be thinking of you tomorrow and wishing you an uneventful surgery and easy recovery. We'll talk next week when we're both on the other side.:egypdance:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom