Knee Infection* My 8 week post operation setback

This recovery is a rollercoaster, and discomfort showing up out of nowhere is not uncommon. Also, as @EalingGran mentioned, maybe those stretches, especially stretching that often is a bit more than your leg likes.

Another thought, have you had any somewhat severe weather lately? That can affect our healing knees.
 
Thanks for the replies. We did have servers weather a week or so ago. In regards to the hamstring exercises. The new PT I visited a few weeks ago suggested I needed to improve extension what was affecting my walking. I can lay off for a few days and see what happens
 
12 month update. Back in Australia for a few months. Had a checkup with OS & X-ray prior to leaving US. All ok according to OS. However, still sore, stiff & still can not get completely straight. OS said could be up to 18 months. Other knee beginning to also become painful. Feels like a never ending battle.
 
I’ve experienced a lot of improvement during the second year. However, one of my bilaterals has never improved to the point of satisfaction and I have discovered that the surgery is flawed. At least I have answers.
In my experience, the OS will never admit that he did a bad job, and will only do x-rays from angles that make it all look ok. I would leave it for another 6 months to a year, and if you are still unhappy, get a thorough second opinion from an experienced surgeon who has nothing to do with your OS.
You may very well be happy with it by next Christmas.
 
Hi
It's been a long while since I last updated. However here it goes. August 2023, I visited my US OS in Allen TX for a checkup & he suggested that the knee may be infected & took X-Rays & a sample of fluid for analysis (don't know why he had not done this previously when the knee was stiff & swollen). Anyhow, in the meantime, I had to fly to South Australia for family reasons & a few weeks later I received confirmation from the US OS that the results were indeed positive for infection.

Disappointed to say the least & at this stage I was feeling quite ill & ended up at the emergency department at the Royal Adelaide Hospital & explained the situation & history. Long story short, I ended up in the care of a Professor of Orthopedics & he's team that specializes in infectious diseases & revisions who conducted their own test, took biopsies etc. & concluded that the TKR was indeed infected & a 2 stage revision was the best solution.

Hence, I am still in Adelaide (cannot travel) & now have the 1st stage of the revision completed (14th Feb 2024 remove old prosthesis & have a temp hinged knee inserted). Surgery was 6 hrs. to remove infected bone & tissue etc. (10 days in hospital). Just come off of intravenous Antibiotics (Antibiotics canaster changed daily at home via mobile nurse care) & now on strong oral antibiotics for another 2 months. Blood markers checked weekly by Infectious disease team & look ok so far. Second stage now scheduled for June 18th if blood markers continue to be ok.

Been 7 weeks now & post op still cannot get my knee past 30 degrees however, I can get it much straighter now than before (anyone with hints on improving the bend at this stage let me know). The knee is stiffer & more painful than original TKR when trying to bend.

Point is, please be conscious of anything you feel that is out of the ordinary & challenge your OS. This is a life changing big deal for myself & family. Anyone else going through this please accept my condolences & best wishes.
 
I am so sorry you are going through this and you are right that we have to advocate for ourselves and really push sometimes when things don't feel right. Does the infection doctor have any idea how long it was infected or can they not tell?
 
Oh my goodness! So sorry you have had to go through all this, and in another country on the other side of the world!
Been 7 weeks now & post op still cannot get my knee past 30 degrees however, I can get it much straighter now than before (anyone with hints on improving the bend at this stage let me know). The knee is stiffer & more painful than original TKR when trying to bend.
Hopefully this is just a matter of being only 7 weeks post-op and as you continue to heal you will improve. Your poor knee has been through the wringer with an infection and revision. :prayer:Prayers for continued healing and comfort.
 
I am so sorry! Can I ask when you had regular bloodwork (not knee aspiration) and if it showed infection? Or did you get bloodwork done that came back ok? I am concerned about possible infection (vs suture allergy) and my bloodwork (crp and white count) is normal but I haven’t yet had any fluid or tissue in knee checked. Wishing you good recovery vibes. Sounds like you are in good hands.
 
I am so sorry you are going through this and you are right that we have to advocate for ourselves and really push sometimes when things don't feel right. Does the infection doctor have any idea how long it was infected or can they not tell?
They can not really tell, However they suggest the infection has been around from the early stages. I started having concerns around the 8 week post op stage. (When I started posting)
 
I am so sorry! Can I ask when you had regular bloodwork (not knee aspiration) and if it showed infection? Or did you get bloodwork done that came back ok? I am concerned about possible infection (vs suture allergy) and my bloodwork (crp and white count) is normal but I haven’t yet had any fluid or tissue in knee checked. Wishing you good recovery vibes. Sounds like you are in good hands.
The US OS never suggested bloodwork. However, post 1st stage of revision I have weekly blood test that certain markers are checked by the Infectious Disease team to ensure the antibiotics are effective. BTW they tested the bone & tissue removed from the revision surgery (they grow cultures to work out what antibiotic cocktail to administer) & found 3 separate strains of staff infection.
 
I am so sorry you have to endure this lengthy detour with all that's involved. Thanks for sharing your story and for your cautionary words. I wish you comfort along with complete and perfect healing.
@Tkrrecovery2022
 
Update. 2nd stage revision (hopefully final) surgery was 18 June. Just arrived back home after a week in hospital. Very sore & stiff however so far so good. On antibiotics for another 2 weeks whilst the Infectious disease team monitor tissue & bone sample cultures taken during surgery. Blood markers look good so far. Can straighten leg ok however, I still struggle with bend (only about 40-45 degrees so far & Surgeon only achieved 95 degrees during the operation). Long recovery ahead.
 
Hello there :wave:
Stopping by on the one month anniversary of the second stage of your revision.
Wondering how it's going for you? I hope you're doing well. We'd love to read an update if you have the time.
Hope to hear from you soon. :)
@Tkrrecovery2022
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom