Okay, you posed a few questions there:
1. if there is
any evidence of arthritis anywhere else in the knee, then a partial is most definitely NOT recommended.
2. going in to a surgeon and asking (or in his view demanding) a TKR would not go down well. You can 'discuss options' but unless he is thinking TKR from the outset, you'd be banging your head against the proverbial brick wall! Your only choice is to find a surgeon who is willing from the outset.
3. You want to know why you are getting these bursts of pain that sometimes render you incapable of walking?
Here it is!
Let me tell you about this pain
Prior to my surgery I had barely any ongoing pain, just what I refer to as an occasional 'stone in the shoe' pain which came and went erratically. Sometimes it lasted for an hour, sometimes for a week, once it lasted two weeks, but I knew what caused it so let me share that with you.
Arthritis has the effect of making our joints crumble like an old concrete step as you can see here
It breaks down, creating lots of grit and debris. Generally this stays in the pouches at the side of the joint but every so often, a craggy, rough edged bit gets into the weight bearing part of the joint and then we get that extreme pain and can't bear weight on the leg at all! Pain killers do nothing, nor do things like braces. We are just conscious of this excruciatingly horrible pain that all of a sudden goes away!
It's every bit as disabling as the constant bone-on-bone pain so many others suffer and is a very good indicator that a joint replacement is needed.
I suppose I had about 6 such episodes in the year leading to my surgery and sitting in the pre-op, perfectly able to walk around without any problems, felt more than foolish! So when my surgeon came to check me over, I sheepishly asked if this surgery was
really necessary and wasn't I just wasting everyone's time! (do remember that this was a department I'd worked in for a number of years and I'd worked with this surgeon as well!) But in a very avuncular way, he patted my arm and just said in a reassuring tone "Well let's just say it isn't going to get any better"! I took his point and went ahead with the procedure!
To assess your need for replacement, print off the form in this link, read the instructions and fill it in
Score chart: how bad is my arthritic hip/knee