Guest viewing is limited

TKR Moving forward.

I am leaning toward just getting the tkr and being done with it. Years of pain until having another tkr just doesn't make sense to me even after just having had one.
That's what I did last year. It was clear that my left knee was going the same way that righty had and I decided I was ready to get it done and get back to my life. I scheduled my surgery for winter so I would be able to get back to hiking in the summer. I'm really glad i did it. By September is was able to dance at my daughter's wedding with two good knees!

We're here for you whatever you decide!
 
Just shy of 10 months on the right knee. It feels really good. I'd say that it is 95% normal. The only thing keeping it from being 100% is some very minor and occasional stiffness. Even that seems to loosen up with movement, but it does remind me of the recent past.
My left knee is another story. I can get around alright only due to 15mg of meloxicam a day.
Any activity even remotely athletic is out of the question. I dislike taking the pills, so I take them for two days and then skip two days. If I don't take them for three I have to one step stairs because of pain. Then it takes a day or two for the pills to have any positive affect.
I'm not going to do this for very long. I'll be getting the left done soon. I've just got to figure out timing and my pre-op to do list around the farm.
Hope everyone is well. Also, I'll add that I dealt with a little difficulty getting my right knee perfectly straight. The last few degrees were just not meeting expectations. At this point my knee is straight. I didn't do anything special either. It just happened with time.
 
Happy Ten Month Anniversary, Cycle-Path!
Thanks for stopping by to update. It is nice to hear from you and know you're doing well.
I am sorry about your left knee. I hope you're able to work through details soon to schedule your Left TKR. Going through the motions while in pain is draining and it gets old quickly. Please know that we'll be here to walk alongside you for support when the time comes. Enjoy the week and take good care!
@Cycle-Path
 
Hello Everyone!

The time has come for left knee to catch up with the right. Had an appointment today and I was kind of shocked to learn that the cartilage in there is now gone. It went from dented/torn in January to bone on bone at this point. My patella has begun to grow bone around it. Doc said that's a bad thing.

They are now submittiing everything to my insurance for TKR approval. They estimate four weeks for approval.

I'm reserved in my excitement. For those of you that have had both left & right sides done, how would you rate the second go-round?
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Moving forward.
    20251023_161226.webp
    389.9 KB · Views: 30
  • [Bonesmart.org] Moving forward.
    20251023_161236.webp
    430.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I hope you are coming to terms with the news. I found that my second knee was very similar to the first. It helped a bit knowing what to expect. I’ve had a third knee as well now ( revision) and I have recovered well from all three. Wishing you well for knee two.
 
Sorry you have to endure another surgery / recovery, but if you need it you'll feel so much better once you're completely healed. Keep us posted and let us know when you get a date and we'll update your signature.
Wishing you comfort if you're in any pain currently.
@Cycle-Path
 
I'm sorry things progressed so quickly but sadly that's often the case with osteoarthritis.

The common wisdom that "no two knees are alike, even on the same person" seems to be true.

I'm pleased with outcomes on both mine. There's a bit of scar tissue binding my lateral quads just above the knee on number2. It makes prolonged sitting deeply uncomfortable. But it's a stable joint that allows me to do what activities I need to do and enjoy doing (walking, tai chi, being on the ground).
 
Great to see you back on the forum, @Cycle-Path.

Just a reminder, that we implemented a two-tier membership program back in January. You are currently a Basic Member, which means you may search the forum and read others' thread. You may also continue to post in this thread -- but only about the original (right TKR) surgery.

If you would like to start a thread to discuss your upcoming TKR, and receive advice from our staff, you will need to join the Insiders Club.

We are a non-profit organization and the small subscription cost enables us to keep BoneSmart available.

Best Wishes, and we hope to see you join the Insiders Club.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom