Guest viewing is limited

TKR Moving along

Lindalu,
I wonder about turning a corner too. Everything I read on this forum advises patience (which is tough for me!) and that we all progress at our own rate. I hope that you turn that corner soon!
 
Lindsey, I am 12 weeks out from bilateral, so have two to compare. One is a good couple of weeks behind the other. I had a minor turning point at about 7/8 weeks when I finally started to get a reasonable night’s sleep, cheered up a lot, and learned to accept that recovery is a slow process and there’s no going back. The second started a couple of weeks ago, less of a turning point than a curve, when progress started to speed up at a much greater pace than previously.
Good luck
 
Hi Ghost pipe and Doxie Mom-thanks for sharing your thoughts -Here I am at 2:28 am with pain in the lower rt back, and buttock pain. I did take a pain pill at 10 last night which usually allows me to sleep till 5 but not this time. I’m icing and took anti inflammatory and sitting in recliner. Not sure if maybe PT was too much yesterday or what it is this time. I have a recheck with spine doc tomorrow -Idk what he will have to say -one thing I do know for certain I didn’t have this issue till I had the replacement. At this point I’m just frustrated and need to vent .
 
Vent away! I’m not sure many of us don’t acquire back pain after TKR...sleeping in a recliner can do a number on your back - it does mine! And then, we are much more sedentary after surgery so that doesn’t help. I understand your frustration! I think time will take care of things,but meanwhile :censored: ! You are not alone!
 
I had recheck with spine doc yesterday -since things aren’t any better he ordered MRI and new anti inflammatory med . Last night was pretty tough -tried topical on back and pain pill which allowed sleep on and off. I’m continuing to hope and pray this will subside . Also no PT for back until after MRI at this point not sure if I will return for knee PT.
 
I’m wondering if anyone is experiencing lumbar issues since their surgery . I’m 10 weeks post op and at 6 weeks I started with groin,hip and rt buttock pain . I never had this issue before -OS referred Me to spine doc in group bc he said it was not knee related.I had MRI last week which shows some discs compressing nerve root endings. I see spine doc for follow up tomorrow. I had a very painful weekend mostly laying around on ice and taking pain meds.PT seems to think that since my gait is different that this may have caused this issue that pre existed but dormant. If anyone else’s has these issues how did you work through them and is it better now ? I’m looking for some hope .
Thanks all!
 
Lindalu, you might check with @Jamie about the One Step program which deals specifically with gait. It is sponsored by BoneSmart.
 
@Lindalu .... We do have a special offer in place for a limited time for BoneSmart members to participate in the OneStep Therapy Program at no cost. It is completely gait based therapy and could be a big help for you. If you're interested, let me know and I'll provide more details in a personal message to you.
 
Hi Jamie -thanks for the offer . I would like to look into the program . I saw the spine doc last Tuesday and am having epidural steroid injection tomorrow -I’m off of nsaids and taking gabepentin before bed and Tylenol during the day -I can take pain pill if necessary but rarely take one.At least I’m sleeping all night now . I’m going to PT only once a week to make sure my knee is doing well.I’m not looking forward to this injection but praying it will stop whatever is going on with my back .
 
Great. I'll send you a Personal Message (PM) with some information. If it sounds like something you'd like to try, I'll get you registered.
 
Best of luck, Lindalu with your injection!! I hope it works!
 
So I had epidural spine injection on Monday for sciatica ,hip and groin pain. MRI showed compressed discs causing nerve compression .As of today I am having some cramping in the thigh area. The pain doc said if pain persists in that area then spine doc may want to look at hip next . I have two questions for anyone who has had knee replacement -has anyone experienced these symptoms? This all started 6 weeks after my surgery -also I’m still using a cane most of the time bc my knee randomly buckles and wobbles on me . At my 6 week check up I told OS about
It and he said that I needed to build up quadricep muscle. Well here I am at 3 mos (7/2) and still having this issue. I see the OS on 7/14 I’m starting to wonder if all of my issues may be because something is wrong with the replacement ?
 
It's unlikely that there is something wrong with your knee implant. It's very common to have pain after surgery because your body is adjusting to it's new alignment. That takes time.....more than a couple of months for sure. This is especially true of your knee was bad for some time before you had the surgery. This is why we tell people to expect full recovery to take a year or more.

Your surgeon is right that your quads probably need some strengthening. I really think you should consider participating in the OneStep program that we've been discussing in a Personal Message. It will help you normalize your gait and strengthen your leg muscles.
 
Lindalu, I agree with Jamie. The body needs time to adjust. I had both my replacements before you and just recently my hip is starting to give me fits and I know it’s because I am walking differently and my body is trying to adjust. They are not kidding when they say this recovery is a year long one. Hang in there.
 
Lindalu, I agree with Jamie. The body needs time to adjust. I had both my replacements before you and just recently my hip is starting to give me fits and I know it’s because I am walking differently and my body is trying to adjust. They are not kidding when they say this recovery is a year long one. Hang in there.
Hi Sister Pat -I hate to think that all of these docs the OS referred me to is bc of taking time to adjust to new knee.I know he probably felt he did what was best . I’m seeing a spine doc and pain specialist . MRI showed discs compressing nerves and stenosis but I’m pretty sure I was told that a long time ago . Their thinking now is that what’s causing sciatic like pain . TBH I’ve never really had back issues -if my back hurt in the past I’d rub a topical and some Tylenol and was good to go. Hopefully one step program will help . Thanks for the encouragement !
 
Well I finally got the answer to why they measure your flexion while laying on your back verses sitting up. When sitting up your hip can rise allowing you to get back further but your not really. Apparently you have to take your hip out of the equation to get a true measurement. So sad to say even though I thought I was getting to 90 I am not. More like 65 -70 at almost 9 weeks. So I think I am going to go head and do the MUA. I have pretty much been following bone smart. I only go to PT and have massage treatment to try and decrease swelling but nothing seems to help. Never really did the exercises they wanted me to do. Just heal slides and back and forth on my bike. I ice and elevate all the time, I just recently stopped the on and off all night icing as it was interfering with my sleep. Only take one tramadol at night and 1000mg Tylenol 3 times a day. Pain is 0 - 2. Occasionally I get some worse pains and then take an Oxycodone, but they usually go away with meds. Still limping if I’m up more then 15 min. I think I gave it my best but it still doesn’t want to bend. I’m tired and frustrated. I have seen a lot of slow progressions on this site with others but no one so far that has mentioned no progression but just going backwards. So maybe I’m in that 2% that get adhesions. I did have to have exploratory surgery once for pelvic pain and they found I had adhesions all wrapped around one of my ovaries. Which was weird since I had never had any previous abdominal surgeries. I also ended up with the MUA with my first TKR. So I feel like such a failure. But then realize everyone is different and I guess my body forms adhesions easily. My other knee eventually got better and so will this one. I don’t see the OS until the 8th so who knows maybe it will miraculously improve.
 
Well I finally got the answer to why they measure your flexion while laying on your back verses sitting up. When sitting up your hip can rise allowing you to get back further but your not really. Apparently you have to take your hip out of the equation to get a true measurement. So sad to say even though I thought I was getting to 90 I am not. More like 65 -70 at almost 9 weeks. So I think I am going to go head and do the MUA. I have pretty much been following bone smart. I only go to PT and have massage treatment to try and decrease swelling but nothing seems to help. Never really did the exercises they wanted me to do. Just heal slides and back and forth on my bike. I ice and elevate all the time, I just recently stopped the on and off all night icing as it was interfering with my sleep. Only take one tramadol at night and 1000mg Tylenol 3 times a day. Pain is 0 - 2. Occasionally I get some worse pains and then take an Oxycodone, but they usually go away with meds. Still limping if I’m up more then 15 min. I think I gave it my best but it still doesn’t want to bend. I’m tired and frustrated. I have seen a lot of slow progressions on this site with others but no one so far that has mentioned no progression but just going backwards. So maybe I’m in that 2% that get adhesions. I did have to have exploratory surgery once for pelvic pain and they found I had adhesions all wrapped around one of my ovaries. Which was weird since I had never had any previous abdominal surgeries. I also ended up with the MUA with my first TKR. So I feel like such a failure. But then realize everyone is different and I guess my body forms adhesions easily. My other knee eventually got better and so will this one. I don’t see the OS until the 8th so who knows maybe it will miraculously improve.
Hi Mar -your story is a lot like mine . I saw PT yesterday and they want me there twice a week . I had cut down to once bc of back issues. I thought they measured my flexion sitting down. I remember the home pt having me move to the front of a chair I was sitting on and at out patient
Pt the same thing.last time they measured a while ago it was 113-I don’t even ask anymore if they want to measure again bc I’m dealing with all of this other pain. I did not have a good day today -I did try to make it to grocery store with hubby but it was a very quick visit.That is how I do things now in and out. I’ll pray for both of us for a turnaround miracle. Good Luck !I don’t see my OS till 7/14 -let us know what your surgeon thinks after u see him on the 8th .
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mar
Lindsay, thanks I will pray for you as well.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom