TKR Morning thoughts

the good news is that it is my hip causing my pain and the hip can be fixed. Back pain is much less straightforward
It is possible that the bad hip is the source of your back pain. That's what happened to me: once I recovered from my THR, my back pain started to lessened and continued to improve. Let's hope the same happens for you!
 
Hello Finallydone!
Will be watching for you to follow your journey on the hip forum.
Most that have experienced both TKR and THR maintain Hip recovery is easier so let's keep our fingers crossed that you can join that chorus one day. :fingersx: Best Wishes as you wait.
@Finallydone
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope all is going well with your knees as you await your October Hip surgery.
Wishing you lots of comfort as you wait.
@Finallydone
 
@Layla, thank you for checking in. My knees are great, they bend when they should and they don’t slide when going up or down inclines and they don’t hurt! If my hip was new I’d be comfortable.
[Bonesmart.org] Morning thoughts

I’m finding plenty of time to discover new things to worry about occurring during/with the procedure, and I know better than to borrow trouble. It seems the hip is getting more painful all the time and there is not much to do to relieve it.
I’ve certainly taken this opportunity to whine, thanks for listening. I do know that I’m fortunate to have an excellent, experienced surgeon and a surgery date. Tell me to suck it up and get on with it and that the new hip will be placed before I know it!! Blessings
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Finallydone,
Thanks for sharing an update.
Pre-op anxiety is normal. We all can relate to those feelings and concerns. I am sorry for your anxiety and your pain. It's not a fun time, I remember it well. The good thing is, and I've read this over and over again is that those that have experienced both TKR and THR share that the hip surgery recovery is easier.

Something I did as time grew closer to surgery was go to bed earlier than usual to watch tv with a heating pad on my hip, or wherever it was hurting. Getting off my feet helped and while it may not take away the pain, the heating pad was a comfort at best, distraction at the least. I wish you lots of times of comfort as you're waiting out these next weeks. :console2:
@Finallydone
 
Wow! That’s quite an X-ray! No wonder that hip is feeling bad. A new hip will feel so much better.
I like Layla’s idea of rest and distraction to get you through to your op date.
Wishing you a successful surgery and a healthy recovery!
 
@Layla and @VA Mom, thank you both for the well wishes and encouragement. I hadn’t thought of using a heating pad for the hip at this time, and hadn’t ever considered the emotional comfort to be found in heating pads vs ice packs! I believe you are right, though, heating pads are more comforting than ice packs. I know the time will pass and I will be the grateful recipient of a hip that works and doesn’t hurt. I think I’ll head to bed with my air pods, a book and the heating pad!! Blessings
 
New hip - I got a new left hip in 2019 and it was the best thing I ever did. The recovery was so easy - my surgeon only prescribed walking everyday. It was a breeze compared to having my knee replaced. I was amazed at the immediate relief of pain after surgery. You will thank yourself for getting a new hip.
 
@MichiganGal

Thanks for the encouragement, I’m glad your new hip went well and I’m praying mine will, also. Blessings
 
Happy Four Month Anniversary!
Only about a week and a half to go. Hang in there, I’m guessing you’re more than ready at this point. Wishing for your comfort.
@Finallydone
 
@Layla, thank you. The knees are great, and yes, I’m more than ready for the new hip. Had a much more thorough discussion of risks at the pre op visit with the surgeon than was reviewed pre-knees. Not sure why, it did raise a bit more anxiety. So I’m doing what I can to be ready for recovery and on to life where I can walk and stand without pain. Thanks for your care and support. This site and its community is a real blessing for “joint people”.
 
Aww, I am sure you'll do just fine. After all, you are familiar with joint replacement / recovery now and we most often read that THR recovery is easier than the TKR recovery.

We put a great deal of trust in our physicians and I am sure most of us appreciate their candor as a measure of respect in properly informing us as their patient. Hearing percentages, or risks involved, makes it all the more real and can temporarily raise our anxiety level. With that said, I am wondering if for your knee pre-ops your surgeon provided general information and was just more thorough for this pre-op visit. I am sure doctors have days when they communicate with their patients more effectively than other days, so try not to read anything into it, but trust that he is only doing his job by trying to cover all bases and all will go well.

We will be here for you, cheering you on and offering support and encouragement as you're healing. You'll have had over a full year of recovery, by the time all is said and done. You're a brave soul and a champ in my eyes!:friends:@Finallydone
 
Thank you for the “pep talk”!! I did need it. It’s been a tough week, and I need to focus on the positives and the relief the hip replacement will give. Thanks for the support and I’ll keep you all updated. Blessings
 
@Finallydone You are going to be a pro at joint replacement recovery! My hunch is that you are going to be very pleased with the outcome.

My hip bothers me but it is muscular (pseudo-sciatica) from muscles overworking to stabilize the knee. My low back pain is helped most when my hips are flexible. Such that the first thing I do when my back hurts is to stretch my hip flexors and stretch into external rotation - eg sitting with foot on knee and leaning forward - which unfortunately would be a definite no-no with post op hip precautions! Heat is very helpful for hip muscles (just not immediately post op). Your knee exercises have probably prepared you well for the hip surgery.
Anyway, wishing you all the best in your recovery. Take care!
 
Both seem to have their pros and cons, but the anterior approach usually involves fewer post op restrictions.
I can only speak for my recovery and my surgeon's protocol, but I experienced the posterior approach with zero restrictions. I was only cautioned to move thoughtfully and slowly and to STOP if any particular movement caused pain. I "loosely" followed some of the precautions that I read others here were following only because I figured it couldn't hurt.
 
@Layla and @dotski, thank you both so much for the observations and information. My surgeon is not going to do the anterior approach, but divides the muscle longitudinally with the posterior lateral approach, so no cut muscles to heal. He did say I shouldn’t cross my legs over my knees, but could cross my ankles (I find myself with crossed ankles often, but will try to not sit/lie with ankles crossed). Sleep has been difficult since the first knee as my preferred position is on my stomach, I’m definitely better at sleeping on my back than I was in January!! I mostly am concerned as he stated that depending on how well he thought the bone would hold, I may have a weight restriction on the surgical leg until the bone fills in some around the prosthesis. He doesn’t use cement on his hips. I guess I’ll deal with not bearing full weight on that leg if I have to. Your words of encouragement are appreciated. @dotski, I was quite certain my back pain was due to my arthritic knees and leg length discrepancy, have you had your hips x-rayed? Not to borrow trouble, ….
Again, thank you both, I’m 8 days away from surgery and not very patiently waiting!!! I will keep all updated.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom