TKR Momkellz Recovery Journal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a big fan of PT.. they help with proper body mechanics. with pain you adjust your walk in order to function the best you can, so I find it best to relearn good motion, your back and muscles will thank you for it. and now want to regain strength! will be nice to be able to stand up without depending on something within reach so I can pull myself up. I also want more range of motion in my right hip if it is not too late. Previous PT with hip wasn't as good as this one. This guy wants to see me function at my best.

That all sounds good. However, do beware of starting strength training too soon. Right now, your body is still healing, and it's a bit early for strength training. This is one instance where being patient will pay off, big time.
 
I promise not to do too much. you are right too much only sets you back. Thanks for the reminder.
 
@momkellz Hi kneetwin, glad to hear you are doing so well!! I am not doing quite as well on my flexion, only 94 yesterday, but extension is spot on at 0!! I have been lucky and don't have any bruising but I understand the burning and sensitivity. I get little almost like shock feelings once in a while and am guessing it is the nerves. Just wanted to check in, hope you continue doing great!!
 
Hi kneetwin!

good to hear from you. Awesome no bruising!!! Wow! you must have good blood! I looked bad and still have sensitive areas where the bruising is.

the short shocks you are feeling are the nerves healing. You likely have numb areas around the knee and incision as the nerves heal that area will reduce and get better, those shocks will come for a few months, but they mean that healing is going on.

ROM I am so far ahead of the curve I am surprised. But I work on it every day, through out the day just gentle stretching . Partly because I had a knee lock up on me when I had hip surgery at 23. I was in traction for 2 months and eventually the progress with flexion stopped. They now call it MUA, manipulation under anesthesia emphasis on the UA part! And Thank God they do it under anesthesia! back 35years ago she (my therapist) just broke it loose right there on the table!!! that event racks up there as one of my worst pains... for the scale of 1-10 lol and I can't help myself.... I have to keep moving it... until it gets there. and even then I will still continue until I no longer feel the pull. Because I never want to do that again....lol it left its mark on my brain... and I just have to do it.

strength is my next thing to concur and not going to lie.. it is going to be work...lol going to therapy soon!

will talk to you later.
 
strength is my next thing to concur and not going to lie.. it is going to be work...lol going to therapy soon!
Strength and stamina are the last to return, usually. Remember, to work within the envelope and do not push or test the knee---it takes time to regain this strength and stamina---frustrating, but patience is the key.

The real work is not the PT, but trying to refrain from overworking or "working harder."

Work smarter, be patient, and the strength and stamina will come back.

Recovery is something that just happens on its own schedule.
 
Can not believe I am 5 weeks and a day out! Wow and doing more each and everyday.

Standing for long periods and fatigue are still my biggest challenges to. My range of motion is 126 and 0 so I am pretty good there. And OMG I actually have been on my knees 3 times now. had to do it, but admit I wanted to just try. Have to admit most of my weight is on the non-operative knee but it was nice to know it can be done and it will get better! I can't use my legs to stand up.... lol nothing new there, all I can say is Thank God for two good arms and furniture to pull up on..lol

I have been trying to be good... down with knee up twice the time I am up! I am almost ready for Christmas! I have one and a half more rooms to decorate. all gifts are wrapped! yay!!!!! so just a few more things to do. Now my house isn't perfect by any means, and there is much to get done but, it is what it is and it you don't like it... tough! there is only so much one can do this far from surgery.

So with my update, I would like to First thank everyone for all the knowledge, support and help! You all are awesome!

And would like to wish you all A VERY Merry Christmas! May you be Blessed with family, friends, good food, good cheer and Much Love!!!

Catherine
 
The fatigue will likely last several more weeks, but you'll gradually notice improvement. Good report. :thumb:
 
tomorrow is 7 weeks! I got hit with a serious Respiratory virus that was going around, that put me down for 3 days! Hips and knees don't stop me much .. but this virus sure did. Went back for PT and in two visits I was released. Not sure how I feel about it. but because I have full range of motion and only have to gain strength apparently according to insurance I am done. so all my PT is working at home at my pace.

I can now go up and down steps using both legs if I use the hand rail. There is some discomfort going down steps, but not pain really. Not too bad if you realize I haven't used that leg to go down steps in over 5 years. Even when the opposite hip had failed and needed replacing that leg took me up and down steps. The first efforts to use my left leg to go down steps was not only awkward it was a bit painful. after a few tries I am getting much much better.

the burning pain is still there and some days it is worse than others but is over all getting better. I should be back to work in about 4 weeks. Longer than I had hoped for, but at least 2 weeks shorter than the full 12 so I will take it. To be honest I think I could go back in about 2 weeks but my apt is four weeks from Wednesday.

so no choice. and I am actually okay with it as I have a few things to try to accomplish in the next few weeks...lol nothing like getting started ... maybe tomorrow or Wednesday...lol
 
Can anyone who has had both a hip and I knee replacement if the cold bothers the knee more than the hip?
We had a cold snap and yesterday I felt like I was set back weeks! because I was in so much pain when I got up but unlike most morning as I got busy the discomfort didn't resolve. Figured it was weather related because so many of my joints hurt... but the knee was the worst!

other than that my knee is doing well. still sore. Still VERY painful to kneel on it. Working on going up and down stairs normally, unless my hands are full then I have to go one step at a time. and only a few weeks and I will be back to work.
 
@momkellz .... I'm so sorry that everyone seems to have missed your question!!!

As to the cold....it ususally doesn't affect either hips or knees like it does when a person has arthritis. But, that said....we have had members who said their knees did "feel" a sudden drop in temperatures or atmospheric pressure. So, if you feel it, then you feel it! However, you really aren't all that far out from your TKR and it is highly likely that any discomfort you have with this winter's cold weather will not be present next year.

Glad you are beginning to enjoy the new knee. And I hope your return to work went well. Let us hear from you when you have a few moments. We'll always appreciate an update.
 
My mother felt the cold in both her knee replacements. She used to wear knitted knee-warmers in the winter.

I've never noticed that my knees feel the cold.
 
I guess that I am one of the lucky ones---while before, my arthritic knees could tell me when the weather was going to change (normally for the worse), now, nothing seems to bother them. They feel the same all of the time.
 
@Jamie @Celle and @referee54 thanks for your input.

I am 11 weeks today and tomorrow is a week since I returned to work. and they are taking it easy on me. So I am getting use to getting up and going on these cold crappy mornings. Today we were covered in ice.

LOL I have been a walking barometer since I can remember. and I do know that as it ages it will improve.
I went to the dr on the 4th to be released to return to work. He was VERY pleased with my progress. I was and am still feeling like I am behind. and part of it is because I am so stiff when I get up to move around and going down stairs is still quite painful though I keep trying to work through it. I have found if I turn slightly sideways the stress on the joint is much less and it is easier to go down using that knee.

The Dr. was funny when he checked out my knee. He picked up my leg and straightened it "0" he was happy with that, Oh and my compression stockings! yes the fluid in my legs is worse since the surgery, so I am trying to be a good girl and wear them. but I digress... so then he carefully starts to bend my knee to see how far it will go before I wince....lol And I reached down pulled it up on the table and easily to 130 or so. He was really surprised. He clearly didn't expect that much movement!

We did talk about on going pain and he said it would take a good year to finish healing and that I was not that far out from the surgery and doing much better than average.

so.. I guess I just have to have more patience with myself. and that is the hardest for me. He asked if I had tried kneeling and I told him I had, but it was painful. He also said I can't hurt the knee and prompted the question can I go past 130 flexing. and he said if you can that is fine. He said many with weight issues can not. But he said there is no reason that I shouldn't get there if I want to... yay!!

In my OE hip I have a line of arthritis going on and in the OE knee I have narrowing of the joint and bone spurs, so I asked him what I could do to preserve them and he said other than maintaining good weight and exercise which I am doing there was nothing else I could do. So looks like I could be up for round two at some point

but for now I am doing pretty good. Really good if I listen to others. Just not fast enough for me. LOL
 
Hello all,

I am over 4 months out. and things are going well and slower than I would like. But I have to say in the last week my big success is that I can kneel!!! okay not super easy and it is still uncomfortable, but not unbearable pain either which is huge. I will be camping this weekend and it is good to know that I can kneel if I need to!! huge yay!! and a big WHEW!!!!! Still building strength, and still stiff and sore but... feeling better all the time. Going upstairs is getting easier, as is going down. Going down is still harder but doable. Before surgery it was impossible so.. another big improvement. Hope everyone is doing well!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom