Guest viewing is limited

TKR Mom2fencers Journey - Both Knees Done Now

:)SusieShoes, yes, I think a corner has been reached.

Yesterday I got on my spin bike at home to see if I could get a full rotation yet. I’m able to make it happen on the recumbent bike with my trainer coach but had not been able for three days at home. And I went slowly forward then back. And then It happened.

Something that I’ve been doing for a while in the day and at night that helps me “unite” with my leg is to massage it with coconut oil and essential oils like eucalyptus oil. The leg scar is looking good and massaging the leg slowly from top to toes seems to relieve restlessness and makes me feel more united with my own leg.

I did this with my left arm after I shattered the elbow and fractured the arm back in 2016. I spent three days in the hospital and 1.5 years in PT three times a week to repair the damage. It’s what postponed my recent LTKR for so long. Two weeks after the fall and soft cast removal my arm looked like a prehistoric dinosaur bone and I could not move it or open my fingers. As time went on with many pain tears and a great arm specialist, I began to move it and used essential oils to massage It. I had a second surgery in 2017 to replace the arm plate. Oils and massaging it really helped me physically and mentally, and the scar is almost invisible.
 
We each communicate with our knees (and other body parts) in our own special ways. Touch is a great way to show the love. You feel better about your leg and in communion with what it's gone through (the scar is a reminder), and it surely appreciates the massage. My legs love to be massaged; they always feel so much better after getting one.

Essential oils are also such a wonderfully sensual experience! :)
 
:biking:Went for a 5 minute stroll on our hill and back. Then wondered if I could do anything on my rowing machine yet. Got on and hurrah. Glided fine. Did two minutes worth and said yippee to me...hard part was getting myself up and off.
 
Be very careful, that’s a lot for one month out. Don't do much the rest of the day. Sometimes the knee waits to pay you back for overdoing it. The knee is very sneaky sometimes. :skep:
 
:)Saw my OS today. I am 7 weeks post op today.

He was very pleased. Bend was 115 and leg is straight when extended. He said keep up doing what I’m doing. Also said normally I’d see you in 3 months but you are doing so well that you can see me again in a year unless you need to call me. I’ll be here.
 
Whoo-hoo! Great report! My surgeon also released me at six weeks when my ROM was where yours is. I think once you reach that degree of flexion and extension they figure you will ace the rest of recovery without any help from them. :heehee: When I saw him for my year check-up he noted the improvement in ROM and that I was pain-free and said, "See you in five years."

Sounds like you and your knee are star pupils!
 
:upright:A milestone at the gym today: we stopped the victory laps around the gym at end of workout and I did five minutes on the elliptical after my pedaling work and upper body work. Knee felt good. I went to lunch with friends after. Had a good day.

Came home and iced. When not busy, I ice.
 
Update: it is now January 2019. On December 8 I was in a powerlifting event. First time in 34 years. I turned 69 the day before. Squated 115, benched 80, and deadlifted 220. My knee doctor was very happy! I’m now at 165 squat, 95 bench, and 240 deadlift. All going well.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Happy to hear how well you are doing, thanks for coming back and posting how well you are doing.
What type of non-narcotic tube pump did you use? Are you referring to the On-Q?
 
I don’t know what kind of pain pump I had. but I am doing well at 69. Competed in a powerlifting event in December for first time in 36 years. Am squatting 175, benching 80 and deadlifting 230. Knees are doing great!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom