Mom of 2 looking for guidance

@LAbabymama

The oil with THC isn’t legal in my state, so I’ve been taking the full-spectrum CBD oil which is legal here.

I did a bunch of online research and understand that the full spectrum may have a minuscule bit of THC in it, but there are no effects from it.

Sorry - I don’t know about the CBD:THC ratio, but would be very interested in hearing about your results and recommendations after you try it.

I’m not sure I notice that the oil affects my pain - I was taking it for sleep and, as I said, it’s been a miracle when combined with low-dose melatonin.

I have taken blood thinners for 15+ years because of a common genetic blood condition, and I did have to monitor my blood more closely for awhile.

I had to reduce the blood thinners as the CBD oil slowed their metabolism.

I told my GP about using the oil and he worked with me to adjust my meds. So it DOES affect bleeding if a person is taking blood thinners.

I don’t know what it does with folks who don’t take them, or take them only after surgery.

But it does seem as if it would likely affect after-surgery bleeding if the thinners are prescribed?

Keep me posted!

@ebungalow, my OS’s physicians assistant said she’s seen CBD negatively affect pain control post-surgery. She doesn’t want me to take it, so I guess I’ll just have to tough out the pain for another two weeks. Sleep is not in the cards for me for a while. Oh well.

I took Tylenol PM during the week pre-op for sleep. Without Aleve or Advil, it was the only way to get a little comfort and snooze!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

@LAbabymama

Good information, but so sorry to hear that - hope you can get at least some sleep. I know it’s awful not to be able to sleep.

@LAbabymama and @ebungalow ..... I'm so pleased to hear that you both are working with your doctors regarding the use of any CBD oil products. As your posts indicate, there can be medical issues with these items and, even in cases where they are legal where you are, your doctors need to be in the mix to be sure you are safe using them.

Good advice @JennyLynne! I’m breaking out the Tylenol PM tonight. Didn’t even occur to me. Thanks for the kind words @ebungalow! Only two weeks to go until my surgery, and I’m starting to get excited. Had my joint replacement class at the hospital today and it’s all starting to feel very real. Can’t wait to kiss this bum hip goodbye.

Interesting thread... I've been thinking about using CBD oil as well as the pain is really debilitating, especially at night trying to sleep. I'm end stage arthritis, no cartilage left in either hip so I've been on tramadol 4*day and tylenol arthritis with tylenol pm at night, since January. The pain killers don't seem to work anymore and I'm concerned about surgery in 2 weeks and the pain meds not working... I'm going to talk to my family doc tomorrow and will ask him if this is a factor and also if CBD oil will affect the blood thinners after surgery. Will let you know what he says.

Another question for you all... I went to me pre-operative class at the hospital yesterday and the nurse teaching it said I shouldn't use a recliner at home for the first couple of weeks. I'm confused because I thought all of you said a recliner is a great thing to have, but she says it puts the hips in a bad position. She recommended using a regular chair with arms when I'm not in bed. I'm more inclined to believe all of you who have gone through this before... She also recommended getting off the pain meds as fast as possible. Of course that's my goal, but once again you've all said to use the pain meds as long as needed. So frustrating to get conflicting information...

The good news is that they're going to provide all the equipment I need for recovery. So at least there's something positive that came out of the class!

Recliners can be a bit too soft under the bum. I have put a firm 1 1/2" piece of foam on the chair which prevents breaking restrictions but I think most people use them as is and if you have your feet up your not bending tight at the hip anyway.
Painkillers you should use as needed but absolutely as prescribed for at least 10 days. If the pain takes hold, it is a nightmare to break that cycle. This is only MY opinion but I have followed unofficial advice from doctors on my daughters cardiac unit and learned a fair bit over the years about pain cycles.

The morning after my surgery, the nurse came in, got me out of bed and took me to the bathroom to get washed up and dressed. She then returned me, not to my bed , but to the recliner next to my bed.

I think the issue is really how low and how soft the recliner is. I would never use my son's for those reasons, but ours is fine.

With respect to pain meds, I think there is a great fear in the land that EVERY person who needs narcotic pain meds will become addicted. It makes them overly cautious. That being said, there is a definite reason for their fears. So this is where your good common sense will serve you well.

Recliners can be used if they are not too soft and you don't have a problem getting in and out. Many new hippies spend the first weeks in a recliner.
Painkillers you should use as needed but absolutely as prescribed for at least 10 days.
There is no time line for using your pain meds. Take them until you start forgetting doses. This is usually the midday dose. We all want to get of the heavy meds as soon as possible. But for some it is a longer process. Do not feel pressured.

Thank you everyone! My recliner is fairly soft and low, but it's one of the ones that lifts up and down, so I'm hoping that'll make it easier to get in and out of without breaking restrictions (posterio-lateral approach here). I have a wheelchair cushion that I could put on top of it to make it more firm, but when I tried it I found that it made the chair to high for me. Maybe the in-home PT can help me figure out how to make it work.

After my first baby was born, I was prescribed oxy for pain in the hospital. It worked like a charm with no bad side effects. When I left the hospital, my husband wasn't able to fill the prescription we got from the doctor (pharmacies in the US are pretty strict about doling out narcotics). I foolishly thought I would be fine without the meds and went cold turkey. Ended up suffering through a full week of pain so intense I thought something had to be wrong. I've definitely learned my lesson to keep ahead of the pain -- won't make that mistake twice! I have to imagine that the pain following a hip replacement is way worse than after childbirth.

have to imagine that the pain following a hip replacement is way worse than after childbirth.
Having had both, I will tell you that for me the pain of my babies was far, far worse than my THR. I have stayed ahead of the pain but....

After living with OA and bone on bone, this has just been a blessing. Be prepared to be amazed at the difference.

Unless you had the birth from hell, I am surprised you were given something that strong. I was induced with one of my babies very rapidly so went from zero to 9cm in less than 2 hours. I had the ring of fire from dilating so fast and that was what I identify as my 10 on the pain scale. However, once delivered, I was pain free. With the hip the OA pain is gone but you have new pain in my opinion. It's intense as the spinal wears off, very intense! At about day 4/6 you might notice it easing just a bit and from there it eases bit by bit every day. This is all just my opinion but I truly think you need to keep pains on schedule the first 10 days even in the night. Supplement pain killers with ice - it's at least as helpful as an extra pill.

I was given a week of painkillers when I left the hospital. My surgeons office called to check on my today and I asked about getting more... she said yes of course if needed. But it’s a pain... they can’t call in narcotics so my husband will have to go pick up script and get it filled. Really make you jump through hoops!

My advice is listen to your body, don’t try to be a hero, and do what you need to get well. Less pain will help you move forward in recovery and that’s the most important point!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks