THR Mjo42 Surgery date 15/01/15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey @copsham, do you get pain in your groin when doing the bum tensing exercise? I don't understand why its should be sore!!
 
Well 17 weeks in and new hip is doing great, the downside is my back is now very unhappy about the changes to my mechanics. We had hoped that some of my previous back pain was referred from my hip but alas it doesn't appear to have been the case, total bummer! Hoping new orthotics at the end of the month help things a bit but resigning myself to this is as good as it gets. Anyone else having other crappy joints playing havoc?
 
We had hoped that some of my previous back pain was referred from my hip but alas it doesn't appear to have been the case, total bummer!
@MJo42 As you can see in my signature I had spinal surgery years before my THRs. I was not expecting my THR to remedy my spinal issues but was hoping things might ease. At first it was (as you say) a real bummer! Had major spinal pain just post LTHR - in tears the first day post op not from the hip but from the back. I worked with an osteopath at the time and it turns out my SI joints were totally locked up due to limping around for so long with a bad hip. A good physio or osteopath may be able to work with you to ease this. Please don't think this is the best it gets. Those of us with spinal issues just have a bit more work in the recovery to do!

Warning - new orthotics will also aggravate your back for a bit. Your podiatrist will warn you to ease into wearing them. But you may find after the initial period of getting used to them, they ease your back issues. Has your podiatrist done a gait analysis?
 
I wear orthotics anyway and have done for years due to **** Achilles (prob something to do with my apparently rubbish kinectic chain) but have delayed getting them reviewed until after the 3 months post op mark. My right leg is now about 1cm longer and really notice it if I don't have the heel raise my Physio gave me in my shoe. Getting biomechanical assessment this weekend, think they'll have their work cut out for them!! Still hoping things settle but know arthritis doesn't go away...booooo!! How are you getting on these days?
 
I have worn orthotics for years. After my LTHR my left leg was about a 1cm longer than the right. I had the same problem if I didn't wear the raise my back would bother me. Getting a good assessment and a raise built into your orthotic will help loads. I do recommend a bit of physio or chiropractic/osteopath as well once your back has settled.

My good news is that my surgeon lengthen my right leg during my RTHR last year. I has made all the difference in the world. I still have back issues but can now walk bare foot for longer and longer periods. I also feel so much more confident - not so clumsy now. I think my back and hips were really wonky post LTHR.

Let us know how you assessment goes!
 
Wonky! What a great way to describe it . Fingers crossed new insoles even me out a bit and the old spine begins to behave Thanks for the pep talk.
 
@MJo42 ... could you please modify your signature to indicate which hip you had replaced? It's difficult to advise you regarding your orthotics and leg length discrepancy without knowing that.
 
So very sorry Jamie, amended as requested:ok:

I had a biomechanical assessment at the weekend and my left leg is 13mm shorter which the heel insert I currently have is not quite sorting it. Getting new insoles in a couple of weeks to fingers crossed theres light at the end of the tunnel.
 
Long time no post!

I'm not sure its been a good thing as I had forgotten how supportive this site is and how it feels to give someone a boost when they are having a down day.

All is good, had a bike fit and now have a 12mm shim on my left shoe with my right shoe cleat offset to take the longer right femur into account. So much comfier on the bike now and just have to concentrate on buidling up my fitness. Still got an occasional problem with sitting and my glutes not working so great but its a work in progress. I'm not taking regular tramadol anymore for any of my aches which is fantastic but think its masked a wee ankle problem thats been lurking, looks like I'm aiming for OA in all my right leg joints...great!! lol Nevermind it could be worse, at least my eye sight is still 20/20 :loll:

How are you doing @copsham?
 
Well, its been a couple of months since ive been on but have a wee problem and wondering if anyone can offer some advice. I was out cycling on my very first ever club group ride when I got a puncture....typical. So I flipped my bike over and bent down to get my spare tube out my seat bag when boom, I felt like my hamstring insertion( just underneath my bum cheek) went into spasm or something and has been achy ever since. It doesn't feel like a tear and I've had no bruising. Now my back is playing up big time and sitting is awkward cos of my achy bum cheek which altogether means I'm back on all my painkillers again. :-( Could this be some scar tissue causing this or because my glutes aren't firing as they should so my hamstrings have tried to cope but eventually gave up? Visited a Physio last week and gave me loads of excercises to do but in all honesty I feel its worse after a week of doing them and I am now getting pain my groin too. Gutted doesn't even begin to cover it so if anyone has any ideas or pearls of wisdom please, please, please share them with me. I was quite enjoying being "normal".

I'm about 10 months in from my op.
 
@MJo42 sorry you are still having post op issues. It's not unusual to have aches and pains the first time you do something new. You may have twisted in a new way when you bent down to fix your bike. Tight hamstrings were a major problem for me post LTHR.

One question, why are you going to physio? If it's for your hip please don't bother. Sounds like you are getting all the exercise you need if you are cycling.

I would suggest you try a chiropractor or osteopath. I had pretty good results with an osteopath post LTHR. Helped with my back and gait issues. Or - does your physio do deep muscle massage? I had that major pain in the butt and deep muscle massage really helped. Hurts like the dickens at first but soon eases.
 
Chiro and a osteopath didn't worked for me in the past and it's probably not the best idea since some of my joints are quite arthritic. As for the cycling, I've been cycling regularly for quite some time so it's even more reason to be surprised that whatever this is has flared up! I wasn't even into double figures in miles when it happened. That said, I have had niggles with that bit since my op but nothing to this level. It's very perplexing!!
 
Hi @MJo42
I can't help at all re your injury (not my area of expertise!). For muscular pains I have an Empsom Salt bath or rub in "Zheng Gu Dhui" which is like a liniment. I think they work certainly relaxes the muscles..

Just went back through your thread and see there are comments to me that I did not answer. Seems to be a perennial problem with getting the notifications so apologies. I am the same time post op as you. Its a long time ago now. I was healing reasonably until June. I got to the point of feeling "normal" ie forgetting about my hip for some of the day, able to go on walks etc. Then, nothing to do with my hip, I fell down two stairs and did complex damage to my opposite foot. This injury has been much harder to deal with than the hip and had aggravated my hip. Cutting a long story short I am very much on a roller coaster three month post foot op. But overall getting better - a long haul.

From foggy south to foggy North (?) take care.
 
Forgot to say I am impressed with your cycling!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom