Guest viewing is limited

THR Mismatched pair of hips^

So I must now eat some crow. My OS said none of my muscles were cut; they were all moved using retractors. He used to cut the 3 muscles I referenced but no longer does.

He cannot explain why I have so much muscle and nerve pain with this anterolateral VS the mini posterior that didn’t even require any PT. I didn’t bring up that he had told me twice it would be an anterior. I also gave him a pass on the OR behaviors by the others since I don’t know who is responsible.

My staples were removed and look good. I’m hoping my middle of the night charley horses in that area might end soon now.

He wants to see me back in 4 weeks which I’ll play by ear as it’s a 90 minute drive to his office. PT is working to determine if the significant length difference between my 2 legs will diminish when the swelling goes down. The previous THR leg had been shorter and the swelling has heightened the difference between my hips to the extent 1 shoulder is also now lower. They have placed 4 folded paper towels under the orthotic in the 1 shoe to try to balance my leg heights.

Fingers are crossed and I’m icing even more frequently to get the swelling down. PT is also trying to break this former lifelong runner of her supination foot positioning with special orthotics and good natured harassment. Apparently my supination played a role in my knee pain and arthritis.
 
They have placed 4 folded paper towels under the orthotic in the 1 shoe to try to balance my leg heights.
In my experience this settles on its own. I would not recommend any addition to your shoes right now. Wait at least 3-4 months post op before doing anything about a leg length difference (LLD). Everyone feels LLD post THR.
 
I'm glad you are getting some peace of mind after your bumpy start...
Really early days, as Jaycey says, and we are rooting for you.
Hope your day is peaceful:ice:
 
Four week update. Still having a lot of referred pain in my knee. Sometimes in a horseshoe in the bottom half of the knee and sometimes bursitis swelling on the outside center of the knee. Am now wearing a brace every day to help prevent pain. We’re moving Monday morning and I’ve been careful with what I help with. But just standing to wrap and pack some dishes apparently inflamed my quads. Today at PT they massaged the muscles which helped. My leg lengths are still off by over an inch. I continue to hope that it will decrease but wear an inch lift in the meantime. Using a cane and continue to strengthen my hip and thigh muscles as well as to improve my balance.
 
But just standing to wrap and pack some dishes apparently inflamed my quads.
My quads were very tender and took several months to begin to ease.
Sorry your knee's bothering you.
About to hit one month so really still early days.
Please do be careful while moving.
This recovery business doors take some time and patience.
Hope today is a Good Day:SUNsmile:
 
:wave:@BusterBeans
Five months today since you had your right hip replaced.
I know you have had a long haul of it and are also dealing with other arthritis related issues, your shoulder..is it?
Hope your hip is doing well though and that there is a plan for your other aching parts!
There is still alot of improvement to be seen on the hip front as mine continued to get better on up to the one year mark.
Hope today will be a good day!
 
Last edited:
Hi :wave:
Long time, no see.
Please leave us an update next time you stop by, if you have time.
We'd love to hear of your progress and it's also an inspiration for those following behind.
Hope you have a great November!
@BusterBeans
 
Still having a lot of referred pain in my knee.
Can you tell me where this pain is using this chart?

[Bonesmart.org] Mismatched pair of hips^
 
Hi Mojo and Layla! It’s been a long time!

My right hip is pretty much where it should be. My husband and I are back walking and have just started dancing again. It took a long time to get here. My left hip might have been a fluke. The left one was a mini-posterior. I think it might be called a super and there are a few other names.

They had me up walking an hour after my stomach settled. No PT, just told to walk, and I was back dancing in about a month. I guess I expected my right hip to be like that one but it ended up being an antero-latetersl that took a lot of PT and patience which I’m not good at.

Plus my hospital care was traumatic. Two of my friends had posterior THRs about when I had this second one, and their recoveries lasted as long as mine did. Someone did ask me if my problems were caused by having a mini-posterior on one hip and an antero-lateral on the other. They had been told you always needed to have the same approach on both hips or your walk would always be off. Ever hear of that?

Mojo, are you saying you’re still not quite pleased with your year-old hip?

My latest problem was this week when I had arthroscopic surgery on my right shoulder to sand off the bone spurs and arthritis cause the spurs were tearing my rotator cuff. Had that done on the left side last year.

This time the surgery center had a new anesthesiologist who said I had to have general this year. So I now have postsurgery myalgia from the succinylcholine used as the muscle relaxer for intubation. For the past 2 days the muscles all thru my body felt like I had a terrible case of the flu. The anesthesiologist said to take NSAIDs for a couple days and it will go away.

My surgeon reviewed my results with me said my next step is shoulder replacements as there’s nothing else he can do arthroscopically. But it will be a long, long time before I try general anesthesia again. I could write a book on some of my complications: allergic to the general anesthesia gases, had fracture blisters and phantom pain with BTKR, had terrible reactions to Midazolam with THR, and now the sux.
 
Mojo, are you saying you’re still not quite pleased with your year-old hip?
Not at all. I had both done together and I am doing great:chuckmarch:
I have some slight nagging SI pain that I have contemplated seeing a chiropractor about, but hips are great and I am ever so grateful for the BTHR that has me back to work and life hip pain free!:egypdance:

I could write a book on some of my complications: allergic to the general anesthesia gases, had fracture blisters and phantom pain with BTKR, had terrible reactions to Midazolam with THR, and now the sux.
:shocked:
That sounds Awful! I should think I should be sore pressed to want to contemplate surgery under those circumstances.
I hope you feel better very soon.
Healing hugs @BusterBeans
 
The good news is that today I’m just stiff and sore. No more pain in my muscles. Unless I sneeze. Thank you for listening to me whine. The other good news is my shoulder is doing very well. PT was surprised st my range and ability. I’m feeling so good this morning that I’m going to get that betodine off my chest and arm, plastic wrap my shoulder and take my first shower! Life is good.
 
Clean BusterBeans!:tada:

Aahhhh! So nice to get a proper shower.
Hope your weekend is restful.:loveshwr:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom