Guest viewing is limited

THR Mismatched pair of hips^

@BusterBeans, so glad you’re home and doing better. Do your OS explain why this hip was done differently than first? I know it was a different doc, but still, it would have nice to know what to expect.

Make sure you take pain medicine on schedule to stay ahead of it. Meltdowns are no fun but sometimes they’re needed.

Take care.
 
@BusterBeans, so glad you’re home and doing better. Do your OS explain why this hip was done differently than first? I know it was a different doc, but still, it would have nice to know what to expect.

Make sure you take pain medicine on schedule to stay ahead of it. Meltdowns are no fun but sometimes they’re needed.

Take care.

@celynda, As I was lying naked on the operating table, I asked him where the Hana table was for the anterior THR. My surgeon explained he was giving me the anterior approach he had stated because he was removing the acetabular using the anterior approach, but it would be through a lateral incision. That’s actually called an anterolateral THR. But with all the research I’ve done and all the surgery videos I’ve watched, an anterior meant anterior approach and incision. Technically it’s called a direct anterior. If I had known I was going to get an anterolateral, I would have had it done locally rather than driving 90 minutes into Orlando for all these appointments and surgery plus 2 nights in hotel for hubby. Or had the surgery done back in Pennsylvania as a mini posterior. I guess lesson learned. Luckily I don’t have any more hips to get done.
I’ve only taken one hydromorphone which was during my meltdown Friday. I’ve been taking Tylenol otherwise. Today PT worked me pretty hard and I looked for a bottle of Tramadol I have but couldn’t find it.

How are you progressing?
 
Hope all is easing some in the early days.
Sending healing hugs your way.:friends:
 
@Mojo333, thank you for your kind wishes.

I had been making a lot of improvement with PT but on Monday night, both hips and quads experienced severe pain. I’ve never had pain with my left hip which was done 1-1/2 years ago. I also had severe pain shooting down the inner thigh on my right which has the new hip. On Monday I had a new PT person who had added quad exercises. I didn’t take my hydromorphone but instead dug out some Tramadol and went to bed after I iced. PT didn’t come yesterday but is coming this morning. She believes my pain is coming from the “hitch” in my walk and from sciatica or pinched nerve in my butt/back. I’m dreading PT, will take either Tylenol OT Tramadol before she gets here and not do those new quad exercises. I would rather walk more but all these exercises that even my OS wrote I should do 3 times a day exhaust me too much to walk. Plus it’s almost 90 degrees and humid every day. Boy, I whine a lot...
 
If the PT is causing pain, don't do it. You are probably better off just doing more walking.
 
STOP! Don't do them. They are causing you pain and will only make it worse since you're already in pain.
You mentioned you are currently experiencing pain in your left hip, which was replaced two and a half years ago. You expressed you've yet to have pain in that hip. What is that telling you? "Pain Is Your Body Asking For Change." Heed the warning. Popping pills to do something you're dreading, in an effort to tolerate it is no way to live.
I'm very sorry you're experiencing pain. Please listen to your injured body and give it the TLC is so desperately needs. You've just experienced a major surgery. If your injuries were from a car accident would you be doing this right now?
@BusterBeans
 
I just walked about 80 yards and really had trouble with pain in the replaced hip and inner thigh pain on the old replaced side. I walked more than this with no problem up until Monday evening so I think the new PT overdid it. When she arrives, I’ll ask her how to fix what’s wrong and not do anything else. Thanks for your wise counsel.
 
I’m dreading PT, will take either Tylenol OT Tramadol before she gets here and not do those new quad exercises. I would rather walk more but all these exercises that even my OS wrote I should do 3 times a day exhaust me too much to walk

QUAD EXERCISES are exactly the ones NOT to do. By experience... I say this to you. They are sore because they were stretched over to the side and held for probably the duration of the procedure and they just want to settle and be left alone. PT thinks you need to do something to help them...you NEED to do a lot of nothing and icing instead.
Tell her you aren't ready for those yet, tell her you have a contagious disease, tell her whatever and cancel it so you can see how this is really sabotaging your recovery
ONLY ONE WEEK OUT, Just Say No.
 
And you dont need to do extra walking to compensate for this lack of PT Exercises. Its too early, you can do more as things settle. Everything has been aggravated and is continuing to be aggravated with this aggressive early activity.
I know we like to be "good patients" but they arent wearing those new hips, you are.
Sending healing hugs:console2:
 
Tell PT to do the exercises and you'll watch while you nurse your wound in your recliner. :rotfl:
 
PT says I have a pinched sciatic and a pinched muscle. She worked on the sciatic and said she thought it was from the hitch in my walk. She said when I walk, I take small steps, I’m coming down on my toe and my new hip leg goes up too far in the air rather than switching motion over to the other hip. When she had me lie on my bed, she said my right foot was rotated over too far to the right — I’m a supinator. She told me to get rid of the Skechers I’ve been wearing and go back to the running shoes I have that were designed for supinators. She wants me to keep an object along my right foot in bed to stop the rotating, and she said no exercising. I’m to roll on the tennis balls to work on the sciatic and she’ll bring something tomorrow to work out the pinched nerve. She also told me to consider supinator orthotics for my shoes to keep my heel and foot from rotating. She also said I must stop pivoting around all the corners in our condo. I must do gradual turns or turn all the way around to the left to avoid making all these right turns with my right hip.

Thank you all for your advice. I’m glad she saw it your way.
 
Hi!
I hope you're finding some relief after PT worked on you yesterday. I'm happy to hear she sounds reasonable
and is not being too aggressive right now. Hopefully her suggestions and guidance bring you relief.
A great day to you!
@BusterBeans
 
@Layla thanks for checking back on me. My PT was here this morning with her tool to locate and work on nerve pinches which helped. My sciatic and inner thigh nerve pains are much better. My IT Band has kicked up so I’ve been massaging it. My PT said our nervous system can only handle so many pains at a time which is probably why the IT Band is now coming to my attention. I had terrible IT Band problems with my TKRs so am familiar. Today my PT observed that the right side of my pelvis is higher than the left — perhaps in response to the way I walked when in pain prior to surgery. She worked with me to even my pelvis and for the rest of today has me walking around the condo with the right foot in just a safety sock while the left foot is in a running shoe. She is hoping it will settle the pelvis down on this side. Unfortunately she just called to say my insurance will not let her see me anymore because she is only a PT assistant not a PT but she will share all her notes with the replacement and stop by off the clock if I need her. What a shame. We were making such progress. I can now walk short distances and do the original exercises without pain but have to consciously think about what I’m doing it. Nurse was here and incision looks great. Staples to come out Tuesday at surgeon’s office. Everything is looking up.
 
Hi :wave:
I agree....Things are looking up! Nice update.
I'm sorry you're losing your PT but hopefully you'll like the replacement just as much, or even more.
I wish you continued success....you're doing great!
A wonderful weekend to you.
@BusterBeans
 
@Layla. I’m afraid I’m not moving forward. I’m still seething in anger that my surgeon performed the anterolateral rather than the anterior he had promised. I read what Josephine said that anterior could be used to refer to how the surgeon would approach the joint, but the surgeon knew I wanted either mini posterior or anterior to prevent muscle cut. and speed recovery. If he didn’t offer that type of surgery, he should have said so and allowed me to find another surgeon. To tell me that when I was on the table in the OR and already had received a spinal took away all of my choices as a patient/person.

I have an appointment at my surgeon’s office this Tuesday to have my 17 staples removed, and I am determined to address his lack of honesty with me. I do not ever intend to go back for follow up care. I’m looking for advice on how to discuss this so he understands the personal impact he has on patients when he’s not completely honest with them. Should I focus mostly on his agreement to do an anterior VS what I received; the continuing muscle, nerve and gait problems I’m facing; and the implications of trying to pack up a house to move in 2 weeks with these unexpected physical problems and limitations? And try to keep emotion out of it? And as far as what happened in the OR with the nurse leaving me so exposed and the anesthesiologist not sedating me until after I was catheterized, positioned, scrubbed and wrapped, they were hospital employees. I’m just not sure who is responsible for watching out for patient modesty and well being: surgeon, anesthesiologist or circulating nurse? Maybe all were but none were. May not bring that topic up. Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.
 
but the surgeon knew I wanted either mini posterior or anterior to prevent muscle cut. and speed recovery.
There are several factors to consider here. First, the surgeon will us the approach that allows the best access to your hip joint. Second - no approach allows for speedy recovery. That's all marketing hype! It's all about how your own body reacts to major surgery. Finally - there are no muscles cut - they are pushed aside to allow access to the joint and placement of the implant.
I’m just not sure who is responsible for watching out for patient modesty and well being
The whole surgical team is responsible for treating you with dignity. I would assume the nursing staff were responsible for keeping you covered but I'm not a medical expert.

You are only days out of major surgery. You may need to reset your expectations regarding this recovery. Perhaps read the articles again that Layla left for you earlier in this thread. The activity progression for THRs will give you a guideline of where you should be at this point. Moving house just out of THR is tough - been there and done that. I too moved house at 4 weeks out. Your activity level will be limited and you will not be able to do any lifting at this early stage. But that would be the case even if you were not moving house. Let that new hip heal.
 
I had my two hip replacements spaced out about the same amount of time as yours. Same surgeon, same hospital, same approach-totally different recoveries (@Jaycey had told me ahead of time this might be the case!) I had anterior approach. While part of the recovery may be easier, at two weeks with both of them I had to go slow. I had pushed things too much with first hip so I worked at slowing down with second (some days more successful than others). Healing just takes time. At four months after second hip I am focusing on both of them working together. Some days the muscles in first hip are my biggest bother, but that is usually after I have lifted something too heavy for me.

I hope your visit goes well. Getting staples out may make a difference in how things feel. Try to give yourself time to heal.
 
Hi @BusterBeans
I'll bet you're moving forward. I think it's difficult to see progress at times. I gauged mine
by weekends. I usually had company then and could remember more easily days later how active, or inactive, I was at the time.

I understand your frustration, truly I do but I hate to see you stress over it or hanging onto it because I fear it can stall your recovery. All of those negative emotions WE ALL deal with are energy suckers and they steal our joy. My heart goes out to you in the humiliation you suffered, I'm sorry for that but I hope you can forgive them for their unawareness and thoughtless insensitivity to your emotional needs. Jo may have something to add putting us both in our place. :heehee: I'm sure the medical professionals are so used to it that it didn't phase them.

I think I would definitely bring up all your concerns at your post op visit. I would try to do it in a non confrontational way and let your OS respond. Relay your op room experience also. I'll be curious what he has to say about all. Being vocal about it may help relieve some of the stress over it all.
Prayers for peace, comfort and healing. We're here for you. :console2: Keep us posted....
 
@Jaycey from what I understand during the anterolateral, the gluteus mediums and gluteus minimus of the abductor are detached then later reattached as is the head of the rectus femoris of the quadriceps muscle. That is why I have to have PT 5 times a week and will start out-patient PT next week. My mini posterior moved rather than cut muscles and didn’t require any PT. I was up walking 2 hours after I was alert which is what I had read anterior would do as well. This surgery is miles apart from my mini posterior.
 
I had mini posterior for LTHR and lateral for RTHR. It's all about the surgeon's expertise and experience.

Anterior is not necessarily a quicker or easier recovery. We have many members who experience the same issues you are having post anterior.

Bottom line - just give that hip a chance to heal. It is far to early to be talking about whether or not this surgery was successful.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom