THR Minifab - 30M - LTHR Recovery Thread

Hello @minifab
Oh that’s awful about the bandage, I can imaging that constant annoyance and pulling sensation, :gaah: I’m so sorry.

I slept in my recliner for the first three weeks. All night, every night. I wedged a pillow in one side and felt like a baby being swaddled. My answer to comfort while trying to sleep or nap was pillows, pillows and pillows. There is something comforting about pillows, here there and everywhere. Gather em up, if you have spares and see if it helps.
Wishing you a long comfy Sunday nap! :yawn: :sleep:

The recliner was my bed of choice for quite a while. Somehow the extra back support and angle really helped and I knew I could move a bit side to side without rolling over so more relaxing. Also for me it was easier to get in and out of when groggy. I hope you get some good napping in today to make up for the lack of sleep. :yawn::sleep:

Overall, pretty good day today given I just had major surgery 48 hours ago. Slept a fair bit in the recliner, did a few walks around the house, and consistent icing. A couple friends stopped by who are both doctors as said everything looks good!:spin:

Little bit of a post op fever last night and today, but nothing alarming, so will just keep an eye on it.

Pain meds were only Tylenol today, will take some stronger ones when I go to bed soon.

Last edited:
I carried a low grade fever for several days, in fact I think it was longer like a week or two, and was told it’s a normal sign of our body’s response to the injury.
Do you have an information packet that mentions fevers? I think they advised me to contact them if mine went over 100.5?
What a nice perk of having friends who are doctors!
its always good to hear that they think things are looking great.
I was also a huge fan of using a recliner at first..Glad it’s helping you, too.
:ice:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks @Jaycey for the pillow under the knees trick, it worked well last night in bed and I had my best sleep yet - at least 8 hours. I did wake up around 3am and was awake for a bit, must have been all the naps I had through the day, so I just played on my phone for 45 minutes until I was tired and went back to sleep.

I am having a bit more pain in my groin area today, so going to focus on getting my ice pack in there today as I hadn’t gotten the ice in there much over the weekend, was really just the thigh. As well as the pulling sensation around bandage / incision area continues today.

@CricketHip yes, the info packet said anything over 38c to call the surgeons office - but I’ve been below that in the 37-37.6c range, so will just keep an eye on it for now.

A few of my nerves have woken up this morning, getting some tingles / zappers in the front of my thigh this morning. Must be good news, things are starting to reconnect and will get sensation back around the incision soon.

I’ve got really big plans for today that I am very excited for! They are to continue relaxing, keeping my leg elevated & iced, and getting up every 90-120 minutes for a bathroom break / walk down the house and back.

My wife is back at work today, fortunately work form home, but I’ve got extra cuddles from my dog to keep me company and I imagine I’ll play some video games today to help occupy the time.

Really good sleep the last 2 nights, straight through the night in bed without a pillow under my knees as I did the second night!

Pain has been almost non-existent, I keep forgetting to take my Tylenol so I’ve set an alarm in my phone now so that I remember. Would rather stay ahead of it + keep inflammation down. Still doing regular icing at this point and that seems to be the most effective at prevention. Haven’t taken my dilauded since Saturday night. The “pulling” pain is also starting to ease up, so very happy with that... maybe the hair is all waxed off now by the bandage.

My slight fever seems to also have resolved itself as of yesterday, temperature back into my normal range.

Was definitely ”moving around” more yesterday, doing a couple more laps of the hallway throughout the day + stepped out on the back porch for a couple minutes to get some sunshine.

Still using the crutches, even though I know I can go to the cane at this point. But I’ve told myself to wait until Friday for the cane as that’ll be 1 week and I don’t want to jeopardize anything yet as this is my hip for life.

Physio called and scheduled me in for next Friday, as my OS said no Physio before 2 week mark. Physio is 4 sessions as prescribed by the OS mostly focused on my gait, and will be every 2 weeks. The clinic is only 1.2 km away, and my goal by the last session (10 weeks pos–op) is to be able to walk to the clinic and back, as pre-surgery I wouldn’t have been able to do that without a lot of pain.

Re-learning to walk will be fun as I am a bit of a baby giraffe in that I learn to my non-op side and try to minimize weight on my op-side, plus twist my pelvis... didn’t realize it was that bad pre-op, but it’s very apparent now.

Oh! Should also note, thank you to everyone who recommended new shoes in other threads - I would have never thought of that. Almost all my new shoes have arrived now as well, so will be discarding the old ones - had to spoil myself a little after going through all of this.

Last edited:
Good Morning and Happy Wednesday @minifab
What a wonderful update! Thanks for sharing. You certainly seem to be doing well. Keep up the good work and have a great rest of the week breaking in your new shoes. :)

Wonderful progress. I would continue with the crutches and practice heel/toe walking to overcome the limp. I actually had to say heel/toe out loud when I first started just to get my brain and body to realize I did not have to limp any longer. Give it a try. The crutches keep you better aligned and balanced than one cane to practice proper walking so they will actually help.

Proper Walking Step Motion
1. Strike the ground first with your heel.
2. Roll through the step from heel to toe.
3. Push off with your toes.
4. Bring the back leg forward to strike again with the heel.

Have a peaceful day.

I am doing a couple of exercises the OS provided prior to discharge (not bridge or clam shell); and on the lying down heel slide my leg rotates out instead of coming straight back. This is the same as pre-surgery where it would rotate out.

Any recommendations on how to get it to come straight back?

Thanks!

on the lying down heel slide my leg rotates out instead of coming straight back. This is the same as pre-surgery where it would rotate out.

Any recommendations on how to get it to come straight back?

I’m not sure if I fully understand what you’re asking, but I’ll share that I had external rotation prior to surgery. When I stood or walked, my foot pointed outward somewhat rather than straight ahead. The surgeon told me surgery would correct this. My mom noticed that I was still doing it post op, so I questioned it at one of my post op visits with my surgeon‘s PA and was told as my body adjusted to my new hip it would ease...and it did.

Hope you have a great day! :wave:

Yay 1 week post-op! :yahoo:

Thanks @Layla definitely noticing it getting a little better each day; you’re right just need to give it times to adjust. I am focusing on heel to toe walking, twisting my pelvis back to normal, and putting weight on both sides equally. It seems to be helping.

Stopped taking Tylenol; just going to take 1 before bed. Really don’t have any pain or discomfort anymore. So I figure between aspirin + celebrex it’s doing a good job. Plus I am staying on top of icing :ice:.

Did a short walk to the kitchen and back without any walking aids today; felt good, no pain! Just need to work on my strength a bit in the op leg. Going to continue with crutches / cane for the next week or so as I continue building strength.

Trying not to push anything too hard, and limiting my steps to 1500 a day; will slowly start building that up over the coming weeks. But no need to rush anything.

Definitely like having the Apple Watch, as it reminds me stand up every hour to get the blood going + it counts my steps, so I make sure to stay under my 1500 self imposed limit.

I’ve been sleeping a little on my non-op side with a pillow between my legs a little bit; helping with my deep sleep.

On average the days are getting better, so let’s hope that trend continues into week 2! I know it’s not straight up, but as long as the trend goes up that’s what’s important.

@Michael1000 I enjoy your updates, you include good details and are staying positive. you are well on your way in your recovery.

I'm not sure it correlates, but I had issues with my operated leg's foot "toeing in" and the hospital PT suggested I focus on activating the muscles in my quadriceps ( the muscles on the front of your thigh) to help control the situation. I also did this while walking with the walker or cane and it didn't take long for things to adjust into a normal gait.

I still enjoy catching my reflection while walking down the hallway in my office building, because my foot isn't toeing in any longer. There's a mirrored door at the end of the hall, so it's perfect for gait analysis. :walking:

Hello @minifab Happy Saturday! Thanks for the update.
Wow, you’re doing so well. Not feeling the need for pain meds and taking short walks without an aid. Remarkable! I like your measured approach. Be careful not to overdo it now, when it can happen easily. You’re feeling better and you push it a little and suddenly it’s too far.

I advise members follow the Activity Progression for THR from the Recovery Guidelines often because I used it as my guide. I followed it loosely, but I firmly believe it kept me out of trouble. I had one bad day after weaning from the walker to the cane. I walked too many circles around my house with the cane and paid for it the next day. So go slow and enjoy. Your doing great!

Happy Tuesday everyone! My mantra for the past few days has been heel-to-toe, heel-to-toe.

Hard to believe my surgery was only 11 days ago; feeling so great and best of all the constant hip pain is gone!!

Overall, had a pretty good weekend - continuing my regime of icing and walking around the house to keep things moving. Saturday night left the house, and went to pick up take out food (as a passenger) so 30 minutes in the car and it felt really good. Sunday we went for a walk outside around the block, yay for getting an outside walk in - really enjoyed that small victory.

My steps have been pretty good - break through day followed by slower day. Friday was 1750, Saturday 1250, Sunday 2200, Monday 1350. Will probably try to get up to around 2500 today and see how that feels tomorrow.

My thigh muscle feels way better at this point, so guessing it’s adjusted back after getting moved around so much to make room during the surgery. I feel different aches / pains each day, but they come and go - all feel like muscles / tendons as my body get’s back to how it should be standing, walking, and carrying my weight. It’ll come with time.

A little bit of blood came through my bandage yesterday (Looks like a sharpie dot, so not worried), excited for Friday when I can take it off and look at the incision and get some fresh air at it.

I am definitely more self-reliant now, in that I am getting around the house fully - and not needing my wife nearly as much to look after me.

The other win for me is I’ve started showering 100% on my own, where at the beginning I needed my wife’s help to get in and out of the shower. Feels so nice to get that freedom back; maybe next week I’ll try a standing shower.

I know this will cause a little controversy, but going to change course a little from the bonesmart playbook and return to work next week. If I had to go into the office or do any physical work I would have followed the playbook. But, I am fortunate where I am able to work from my computer in my recliner with full control / flexibility on my schedule. Given I am currently sitting in my recliner on a computer / iPad all day - I really don’t see it much different, except some additional mental stimulation. If I take a little longer getting ready one morning, that won’t be an issue, or if I get too tired through the day I’ll just take a break - but my work consists of talking on the phone with my team + answer emails, so I feel like it’ll be managable at this point. If it isn’t, my work is super supportive and I’ll adjust back take the time my body needs. Little earlier than I initially thought, but I also didn’t expect to feel this good + with covid and working from home it changes things a bit.

Keep celebrating the small wins as they turn into the big wins! Focused on the longer term.

Congratulations on your walks. It does feel great to get outside. It is very nice that you have so much flexibility with your job and can try it out and see how it goes. Just keep listening to your body and your hip as you still have lots of healing to finish. Have a great evening.

Nice update! Seems you’re doing well with your measured approach to recovery. I guess we won’t get the BoneSmart police after you for working from your recliner next week, as tolerated. It sounds like you have the ideal situation allowing you to work from home and take breaks as necessary. We’ll be watching for any signs of battle fatigue :skep: and offer our unsolicited two cents if you get too ambitious, lol.
A wonderful rest of the week to you. Happy September!
@minifab

Happy Labour Day Weekend, hope everyone is enjoying the long weekend.

Been a busy last few days since my last update.

Tuesday steps 2270, Wed 1962, Thurs 2770, Fri 2296, Sat 1071, Sun 2968.

Had a couple blood spots on my bandage last Sunday and Tuesday evening, so sent a picture to my surgeon on Wednesday. He asked me to come in on Thursday (13 day post op, instead of this week) to take the bandage off + make sure there was no infection.

So I went in to the hospital on Thursday they took x-rays + took the bandage off. X-rays look good, no movement of the stem. The incision was open superficially at the top and bottom a little bit, where the glue must not have been strong enough, but the internal stitches are holding so he wasn’t concerned. This coming Thursday I have to take the bandage off again and send him a picture to see if we need to do anything different. Outside of watching incision he said he doesn’t need anymore follow up appointments until 1 year, and to just continue walking around until week 6 when I can start playing sports again (but I’ll hold off a bit longer than that!).

Friday had my first physio session, where they took measurements and looked at my gait. The physio has had a few previous patients from my surgeon and said he was the best surgeon in the country - so makes me happy I picked him. See him again in 2 weeks where we’ll start doing some exercises. 30 degrees ROM when I slide the leg out, 91 degrees ROM when I do heel slide.

Saturday was a bit sore in my non-op leg + a bit of post op blues so didn’t do much and didn’t leave the house.

Sunday felt a bit better - went for a little walk around the block + went out to dinner with a couple of friends. Towards the end of dinner I was a little uncomfortable but not too bad.

Around the house I am using the cane less and less, but always use it outside. I can go up the stairs “normally”, but coming down I take it 1 stair at a time.

Only meds I am taking at this point are the 2x daily aspirin, 2x daily Celebrex, and 1x daily pantoprazole. The Celebrex + panto finish on Friday, then it’s another 2 weeks of aspirin. Haven’t had any pain in op leg since probably last Tuesday, every time I stand up I wince expecting a shot of pain but it fortunately doesn’t hit.

Fully sleeping on my non-op side and don’t wake up with any aches like I did the first couple of days. Going to start showering standing up this week as I’ve gotten comfortable getting in and out without my cane now... might help cut down how long I shower for! Have also started driving again in a mid-size SUV, so I step up into the vehicle - will hold off on the lower car until later this fall.

Fever has continued to stay away, measuring a couple times a day - it’s still normal no fever. So happy for that.

Average Heart rate was a little high the first bit (74-80 bpm), but this weekend it has climbed to 86-90 bpm so hopefully that comes back down to normal soon. Thinking it may be a combination of the meds + anxiety. Little anxious on my incision, wish they used staples so it would have healed quicker. Anyone see the elevated heart rate after surgery before?

Overall, progress trend continues to go up. Few little set backs as expected, but nothing to be concerned about.

Questions for the group:

1. Any way to improve healing on the incision?
2. Anyone see elevated heart rate like I have after surgery?

Last edited:
Sounds like a pretty good update. Sorry the incision is troubling you, maybe try to take it a little easier for a while and if that helps.

Can't help you with the heart rate but you may be right, it may be the meds, and you are still healing from that controlled trauma known as surgery.

I get that you want to work on gait, maybe try doing the heal to toe walking that a lot of us use. Really concentrate, take slow, smaller deliberate steps. Heal strikes first and then you roll through to your toes, really helps with gait. And since you're planning to work on gait I'm assuming you are possibly limping still? Continue to use the cane or another assistive device as long as you are limping. I definitely kept mine handy when out in public for quite sometime, you never know when someone is going to bump into you. As far as worrying about ROM, continue to walk, in moderation, and everything should come out just fine. You're still pretty early on so would be very careful with any other exercises, if there is any pain or discomfort, stop!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back