Guest viewing is limited

TKR Member, ODIC --TKR 24 July 17

Status
Not open for further replies.
@kneeper
That was the first actual "before and after" comparison that really showed me the difference! I guess I went in to the surgery thinking that I could have waited longer, but now I am not sure about that! Maybe I just didn't want to admit how bad it had gotten, even though it was pretty obvious to everyone close to me.
Taza :SUNsmile:
 
You are smart to have your walk and then ice. I have a love-hate relationship with icing and elevating, so sometimes haven't done it after an activity. It really does make a difference!
 
I understand what you are saying about thinking maybe you could have waited longer for surgery. I put off surgery for a long time since I could still walk and function pretty well. But I knew it was inevitable, and several people told me it was better if I did not wait until my knee was super damaged. I guess I was in denial and also a little afraid of having part of my body removed and replaced.

It is taking a little time to get used to Bob and his antics, but I know I will. Reading everybody's experiences on the forum convinces me that there will come a time when I will be very happy with my decision, and I will not even think about Bob anymore.

By the way, I see you are from Tucson. I lived in Sells a long time ago. :wave:
 
@Lil Cyborg
I'm noticing that some of the folks here have named their new knees! Yours is Bob & I think @Canada35 calls hers Spence. But why a guy's name? :what: Just curious! I never thought of it. But now I will!
Taza :SUNsmile:
 
Bionic Spence is @Fire wolf 's knee. It is funny that we have named our knees with male names, but I believe there is someone who has named her knee Not So Sweet Martha Lorraine! I love that. One of my friends who had both knees done told me not to name my knee because it should become a part of me, not something separate. I could not help it, however. Somehow it just had to be named. Don't ask me why I named it Bob. I have absolutely no idea. Let us know if you name yours!:spin:
 
I'm noticing that some of the folks here have named their new knees[/QUOTE

The naming of mine goes back to when I had my meniscal allograft transplant. Because it was from a cadaver, I felt it should have a name. Well that, and I am just not quite right! :snork: I actually chose Spence because Spencer Reid is my favorite character on Criminal Minds. So when it was time for TKR, my OS and PA, who got used to calling Spence Spence, asked me what tkr's name was going to be. So I turned it into Bionic Spence, and that is now how I, OS and PA refer to it. :yes:
 
I named my new knee Nellie! It was easier than always calling it my op knee, my bionic knee or my TKR knee and added to the fun of others naming their knees! Sometimes it's naughty Nellie and other times it's nice Nellie!
 
Last edited:
Thanks for all those smiles this morning!
:snork: :snork: :snork:
I am all cozy with my homemade RICE setup: a stretchy Ace wrap for the 1st layer, flexible ice-alcohol pack 2nd layer, older Ace bandage 3rd layer. The mountain of pillows & my second cuppa.

I went to a friend's house for dinner last night -- my 1st post-op social outing! So I was upright more than usual, and the price is to spend the morning like this, but that's what holiday Sundays are for, right?

Happy Labor Day & may we all take a moment to appreciate the blood, sweat & tears that went into creating laws to protect the rights of the working people. :yay::dancy::yes!:

Taza :SUNsmile:
 
Holiday Sundays are either for socializing (and lots of it) or for RICE, because rest restores our tender knees. Hope you have a fun Sunday and Labor Day holiday.

Your post about walking up and down the block made me smile. Annoying stitches aside, you're doing so well!
 
I hope I can successfully attach a pic of the electric-knee-cooler-pump my GF loaned me! It makes icing much easier. I'm sure lots of you already know about these!

On another note, I returned to the OS again today about the infection. A week of Keflex (cephalexin) didn't get rid of the puffy redness at 2-3 places where I spit the stitches, nor the heat/swelling around the outside of the patella.

He recommended a couple of blood tests, and also drew a vial of fluid out of the joint (so glad I was lying down for that!) and said he'd send it to the lab. Overall he seemed fairly positive that the infection was limited to the upper skin vs. deeper down, which is good.

I also have a 2nd week of antibiotics; not my favorite thing, but much preferred to another surgery! :nah:

Meanwhile, I haven't been to PT in a week; thought it unwise to agitate an infection! But I have been doing small sets of easy flexion & extension drills, and the OS commented that the extension looks improved, and that he could tell I'd been working on it. :yes!:

You know, I'm not even too upset about this. I can feel so much more stability and less pain in the joint--the pain has been from the inflammation of the skin. Onward & upward!
Taza :SUNsmile:
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Member, ODIC --TKR 24 July 17
    15048237124961940113191.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
So glad to hear that your infection is probably limited to the skin. I'm so sorry you have to go through any of this. Recovering from knee surgery is a pain in and of itself, you don't need anything further to worry you or cause you pain! I think you are smart not to do too much physical therapy, and your ice machine looks fab. I'm also glad you are feeling more stability and less pain in your knee. Isn't that a great feeling?! You are doing something right. Keep up your positive spirit!:happydance:
 
I'm back home (last Sunday) after 6.5 weeks at my sweetie's house. The yard is a complete mess! The house wasn't much better!

The first 2 days were definitely weird as I rediscovered my usual routines. But getting back into the swing of things at home helps me feel as though I'm truly ready to begin again at work, and after 7 weeks off, my bank account needs me to, too!

I will be sure to go verrry slow, one client per day, for the next couple of weeks. Sure am grateful for the support & kindness I've experienced here. Wishing you all a wonderful recovery!

Taza :SUNsmile:
 
Let us know how your lighter work schedule works out. Lots of people have questions about returning to work and it's so difficult to give an answer.

Also don't overdo the housework or your old routines. That's very easy to do and end up setting your recovery back a step. Slow and steady will get you back up to speed. :)
 
@KnewKnee please don't rush to work to soon I was keen to start back to work and which I have this week ,phased return and boy how it takes it out of you. I do part time at moment and when I come home I collapse on my bed legs elevate and fall asleep completely wipe out for several hours , so please don't overdo anything at this present time,
 
@bland9
I'm self-employed, so I am going to schedule one client per day, which leaves plenty of R&R time with ice! (Being self-employed also means zero PTO, unfortunately!)
I appreciate your input & am sorry you're having a tough time with re-entry into the working world. :sad:
Taza :SUNsmile:
 
Oh, thank goodness you know the value of "lived in" housekeeping! I warned Mr. Shoes before he married me that housekeeping was not my strong suit. Being able to let the dust bunnies proliferate has been a boon to my recovery. The house has since recovered from my neglect.

@KnewKnee, you have an ideal work set up for an early return. Complete control of your time. I have a similar arrangement. Easing back into a full schedule is the way to go.
 
I'm happy to say that I got into a swimming pool Tuesday & Wednesday & did 15 minutes of deep water jogging. It helped so much! My knee felt like it worked much more smoothly afterwards, and it buoyed my spirit as well! I have felt so clunky and have gained some weight since the surgery. I know extra pounds put more stress on my knees.

It was almost 3 years ago that I tore my meniscus, and my knee function went from a gradual decline into a sharp descent. In those 3 years I have gained 30 pounds, mostly because previous to that, I was walking 2 brisk miles a day with my dog. Depression & inactivity are a dangerous duo!

I'm now seeing the possibility of a new future with my new knee & am very grateful that I was able to have this surgery! (And that was not my immediate conclusion, post-op!) This has been a big deal. I'm very happy to have found this forum to help guide & support me!

Taza :SUNsmile:
 
I just caught up on your thread and it seems like you are having a stellar recovery; huzzah!:wowspring:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom