Guest viewing is limited

TKR Medan's Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kelly, thank you for your input.

I'm only using 15-20 pound weights when I do the Leg Extension & Leg Curls.

Actually, since I have been doing the Leg Extensions with weight; I no longer have the catch behind my knee when walking. Also, I am doing a variety of exercises for my Hamstring & Quads.

My Personal Trainer is very conscientious with my exercises. He has had experience working with people who have had knee replacements and only allows me to use the appropriate machines.
 
I am 13 months post LTKA & am still experiencing pain in the area of L-4 D & L-1D. The pain is mainly when I step down or up(mostly down) stairs. I went to my OS & was diagnosed as Bursitis and was given a cortizone injection which didn't last. I find myself massaging the L-4D area alot to ease the pain. When I last saw my OS for my yearly visit; he stated I didn't need to be seen for 6 years unless I have a problem. I thought that I would be seen sooner than 6 years??????

I have a lot of scar tissue & am now being seen by a D.O.M. which doesn't really work with me. When I go in for treatment; it is with an amazing P.T. who attends to me the whole time that I am there. I just wish that I had found this practice early into my recovery because I think that my knee would have recovered better. I also go to the GYM 2-3 times a week and use the Exercise bike (2 different types), leg press, leg curls and do manual squats. I still have not gotten my flexion back to 120. Working with my current P.T., we were able to get to 108. However, my flexion doesn't stay at the achieved. Not sure why that is. She states it is the different exercises that I do while working with her. She is working with strengthening my hips and hamstrings. I thought by now, I would have been further along but I truly feel that I was working with the wrong P.T.

So, I continue on with my recovery....... I am able to walk for an extended period of time without any problems and do most activities that I want. Still working on kneeling........I feel better when I'm moving about doing different activities. My recovery doesn't interfere with my vacations.

We recently traveled from Colorado to Missouri for my sister's Memorial service which is approximately a 12 hour drive and I didn't have any problems with my knee. We did stop for stretching & food along the way but I expected my knee to be stiff. Maybe because I was the passenger and not the driver?????

Arthoscope LK-March 1995
Arthoscope LK w/lateral release-October 2009
LTKR 12/Dec/2012


Mary Ellen
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm..... who diagnosed the scar tissue?
Are you thinking that is limiting you after 13 months to a 108 ROM?
@Josephine
 
Mary Ellen, I am so glad you really like the PT you are now working with - it is so important to have someone focused on you. Almost like you, I am about 15 and 13 1/2 months out and I find I am still increasing my flexion. There is hope.:flwrysmile: It sounds like other than getting more bend, you are doing amazing with good strength. That the knees don't bother you in distance driving or interfere with vacation is a big deal!:spin: Perhaps your PT can give you some at home exercises designed to work just on the flexion. I still find myself at the bottom of the stairs, putting one foot up on the third step and doing gentle bends into it to maintain stretch and flex....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom