THR Mark's on the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
More soreness at the the incision site has been my experience too. As is more swelling. I ice whenever I am sitting, it helps. I am more or less off the meds, pain is not very high. Do not do too much, I think I did too much in the hospital, it slowed me down a bit, but keep exercising. I am about to do a ten minute exercise, then my lovonox shot, then a shower, yeah.
 
How much sitting in a chair is too much? ONe hour, two hours, none at all? How much sitting are you doing Mark? My anterior bandage is partly over the crease of my torso which bends in half with sitting, so I'm starting to believe I cannot sit at all with the anterior approach, maybe?
 
Sounds as if your recovery is going great. I hope that continues. My 2nd day was more painful, even more pain when I was walking and letting the new hip bear some weight.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I was told it took 4 to 8 weeks for the incision lump to be absorbed, and sure enough just around the 4 week period most of that golf ball sized lump at the incision has disappeared.

I stop exercising when I fell what I would describe as insertion pain - pain in my upper thigh or hip joint that seems to be coming from the equipment rather than my soft tissue. I'll push a bit through the soft tissue pain, but I stop when I start to feel the inner pain that seems like its from the equipment.
 
@waterman1 I can sit with no problem or pain. But we are all different.
 
@waterman1 and @MarkK
Sitting with anterior is no problem. Just take little walks now and then.
Ice while sitting. Heck, I iced while sleeping. (obviously the gel pack would expire in time so not like it
was on constantly....)
Glad you are both doing well. Onward and upward!
 
Sunday, almost one week now, time sure went fast. I am eating well, all body functions are working, not much pain. I am taking 1-2 Percocet each day when the stiffness bothers me or when it is time for doing my home pt. I do a few leg movement exercises plus some in house walking in circles twice a day. Swelling is starting to go down.

In 30 minutes I will do my pt, give myself my lovonox shot, take a shower, then watch some World Cup this afternoon. And sleep. Ahead of last time, but this is not a sprint, so in two months I probably will not remember.

I believe that my easy progress is due to not waiting. I waited about 9 months last time after I got my first pain. And that pain progressed quickly from bad to terrible. This time I scheduled the surgery as soon as I had low pain...and I could see on the new X-ray that my hip had no cartilage. So I lived with minor pain only for 2-3 months. My doctor agreed, he said that while my femoral head was bad, the surrounding tissue and other bone were not badly inflamed. So the operation was easier for him and he expected the recovery to be fast.

Mark
 
@MarkK, Hello from another Mark. Congratulations on your progress!

You were a wise man to have set the second surgery up early once you felt a bit of pain. My journey mirrored your first surgical path with me putting off getting help when my pain was very minor. I ended up with both hips so bad that the pain and immobility was severe for about three months. Not a good way to wait for surgery, especially when doing prehab exercises to keep strong prior to surgery.

Good luck and continued success!
 
@MarkK just keep moving forward. Speed and distance are not as important as consistent movement toward your goal. Most people end up where they chose to stop rather than where they could have gotten to.
 
Ice ice ice.. I iced all the time the first two weeks. You should be able to sit with anterior. I never had that.. The incision was sore but sitting was not a problem.. Ice!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Ten days out, I've seen the physical therapist at home now 4 times, he is good. Will see him next week twice or maybe three times. Then I think for the serious work to the PT Center. Many exercises, and now long walks. It is fine, but it is hot and humid here. My leg has some strength back, I can lift and lower it. I am tired but sleeping and icing a lot too, so I should be fine. But this recovery has been excellent, everything considered. I thought I would be happy with 80% of the excellent recovery of last time, but this has been better. I think for two reasons: I did not wait for this surgery, I did it as soon as the x-ray showed no cartilage (and I was in very minor pain). And I really took it super easy once I scheduled the surgery two months ago.

BTW, I've posted a picture of my incision in the scar thread. It is very clean, no bruising, no bleeding, glued, not stapled. I see, now that I have a photo, that my scar was made like a 'rope' -- this is a method used by surgeons so that when it heals, it will not leave an indentation, it will heal flat. I do not remember this for my other incision. The scar is about 3 or 3.5 inches lont.

[Bonesmart.org] Mark's on the other side


Mark
 
Glad you are doing so well again, and your hypothesis certainly makes sense.
Interesting rope scar with no bruising at all.
:cheers:
 
Interesting comment on the rope technique. My "scar" pic is just before your's and my dent is ridiculous and long with a couple of bubbles. It sounds like you're doing great...keep up the good work! Ice, ice, ice.
 
Yes, I am online. The protocol used by my OS changed a month or two before my surgery: 20 months ago, he had me use Xarelto. He looked at some studies and decided that aspirin + TED was better. So I expected that. But his change a month or two ago was to drop the 'aspirin+TED' in favor of Lovonox. So I have been giving myself shots in the stomach for the past 22 days. Not as bad as it sounds. I go from Lovonox to aspirin only (for ten days) this weekend. Sorry I have no good TED advice. But good luck.

Mark
 
@MarkK , it sounds like you have a really good outcome.

Just curious, did your OS use the Hana table and computer navigation for the anterior approach?
 
He did use the special table, and I did see various x-ray equipment above before I passed out; but I did not see any evidence of computer gear. Knowing my OS, I do not think he used computer navigation, but you never know. He never mentioned it, and he told me everything about what he was planning. This is my second hip to be replaced, I have had miracle recoveries both times, but this time I've had much less bruising and swelling. Also, I can 'dead lift' my leg from a lying position with no problem, took me a couple of months to do it last time. But if anyone had a doubt about doing this would talk to me or read my posts, they would run for the surgery and not delay. I did delay too, it is scary, but comes a time where you need to just do it.

I am so excited, I will be off to outpatient PT within a week, I loved it last time. Gets me into great shape in addition to getting my hip and leg muscles working better.

Best,

Mark
 
Since I am here, I thought I would write a 3 week update. It is good. I am walking in and around my house with no aids. If I go out for any time -- my wife and I took my 99 year old Uncle shopping today -- I bring and use the crutch. (Although in the supermarket I used a shopping wagon, which is like a large and excellent walker). I am doing exercises every day, not a huge number, but enough to keep my muscles busy. Various leg lifts, stretches, etc. About a dozen exercises.

I will drive to my 6 month dermatologist visit on Friday morning, also have a nice massage on Friday afternoon. On Thursday or Saturday or Monday I will go out to my first outpatient PT session, that will be great.

I have a lot of energy in the morning, but by early afternoon I typically need a nap. I am tired, but no longer exhausted. The World Cup games were wonderful, I'd watch for a few minutes, pass out, and next thing I knew, the game was over or mostly over. Golf will be on starting thursday, so I can do the same with that :)

On the downhill walk now, this is so excellent. I am lucky, I think except for the hip issues, I got a lot of Uncle Leo's genes. He is 99, he lives alone, I take him shopping, but he cooks for himself and lives a peaceful life.

Good healing everyone,

Mark
 
@ MarkK. Congratulations on your uneventful recovery on your second THR. I'm just one week post-op, yesterday, from my LTHR. Most of us who get the knee and hip replacements recover with no problems, but there are usually some bumps in the road for everyone. In my first week checkup, I am walking ok, and swelling is down, but I got an allergic reaction from something pertaining to the surgery. I'm sure it will be just a little bump in the road.

Sounds like you are an active guy who enjoys the PT sessions. As you have done one THR already, you understand how important it is to exercise to regain strength. Hope we will continue to get healthy reports from you.

LTHR July 7', 2014
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom