Hi MarkC, I've just read most of your posts from 2011 onwards. I'm 46 looking at THR.
I'm really interested in knowing who your Duke docs were. I know Clifford from TOA (I'm from Triangle area, NC). A bit about me (although this is probably not the place but I wanted to make sure I got your attention).
Diagnosed in 2010 with FAI left side with torn labrum, had surgery with Dr. Liebelt at Triangle Ortho, he didn't think there was enough of extra bone to bother shaving it down which was a BIG mistake so then about 6 months later I had more torn labrum and decided to go to Duke where I saw Olsen. He shaved down the bone and fixed the torn labrum and articular cartilage but decided not to do microfracture b/c he didn't think I needed it. I see this as conservative mistake #2. So now I'm 4 years down the road, went to THE hip FAI guy, Dr. Stubbs at Wake Forest who told me I have more torn articular cartilage, scar tissue, extremely deep hip joints and arthritis (thought the whole reason I got the other 2 scopes was to avoid this!!). Stubbs said he could do a 3rd scope but 50% chance it will get rid of my pain b/c it won't fix the arthritis and I would just need THR in another 3-5 years anyway b/c of the arthritis AND with my deep hip sockets it makes scopes very difficult and I risk doing damage to the sciatic nerve when they dislocate the joint. He said if i wanted to fix everything and get back to my active lifestyle I should go ahead and look at THR....and he doesn't even do THR's!! So I originally made an appt with Dr. Bolognesi at Duke but he's so booked up i couldn't be seen until July 25th. I'm trying to swim but, like you, it now hurts to swim and if I can't swim it's not good! I called and made an appt with Dr. Attarian and got in a little sooner, I have to do something about this like, yesterday. Hoping he does anterior approach, scheduler didn't know. I've had such bad experiences with decent docs that I'm bound and determine to only see THE best docs for this THR surgery. Do you want to weigh in on these docs? (Bolognesi vs Attarian vs Clifford)? You may know nothing about Bolognesi.