Guest viewing is limited

TKR Marie’s LTKR thread!

I had that too after each of my surgeries. I got the impression that it occurred because my muscles were relaxed when they should have been contracting. A little walking practice and it went away. You mileage may vary of course.
I don’t recall this with the first but as we know, each knee is different.

Marie
 
I've had the sleeplessness after a couple of my surgeries. Not every time, thankfully, but enough to know how frustrating it can be. The only thing I could do was turn on the TV, set it's timer to go off just in case I did fall asleep, and watch it to turn my brain off.

I also learned to sleep anytime I could, day or night. Keep up the icing and elevating, it really helps with pain control. I hope you figure out the ice machine glitch; not having it working properly when you need it most is no fun, I know.
 
I've had the sleeplessness after a couple of my surgeries. Not every time, thankfully, but enough to know how frustrating it can be. The only thing I could do was turn on the TV, set it's timer to go off just in case I did fall asleep, and watch it to turn my brain off.

I also learned to sleep anytime I could, day or night. Keep up the icing and elevating, it really helps with pain control. I hope you figure out the ice machine glitch; not having it working properly when you need it most is no fun, I know.
Steve figured out the ice machine so hopefully tonight will be better.
I feel like I’m walking around with a concrete block attached to my leg! In no way can I lift it on my own! This is different than my other knee and that’s ok. No real pain, just discomfort, bruising & swelling.
 
Steve figured out the ice machine so hopefully tonight will be better.
I'm glad that part is figured out. Is Steve using frozen bottles of water in the ice machine? I found that my care team kept a rotation of 5-6 half liter water bottles in the freezer and that made it so much easier to change when all had melted. The frozen water bottles seemed to keep the water icy for a longer time than cubes.

I had to fashion a leg lifter for the 1st few days after surgery. Trying to lift my leg on its own was like trying to move a chair across the room with my mind. Then one day, as I was getting in bed, I just lifted it. Doing gentle heel slides and quad sets throughout the day helped to help wake up the muscles.
 
Along with the frozen water bottles, ( my machines used 4 at a time so I generally kept 12 in the frozen rotation), each morning when you empty it and rinse it out, add the water bottles, then add a little ice, then add water to the fill line. It doesn't take much ice, it's only once each day, but it makes the water icy cold from the start, and the water bottles stay frozen longer.
 
Steve figured out the ice machine so hopefully tonight will be better.
I'm glad that part is figured out. Is Steve using frozen bottles of water in the ice machine? I found that my care team kept a rotation of 5-6 half liter water bottles in the freezer and that made it so much easier to change when all had melted. The frozen water bottles seemed to keep the water icy for a longer time than cubes.

I had to fashion a leg lifter for the 1st few days after surgery. Trying to lift my leg on its own was like trying to move a chair across the room with my mind. Then one day, as I was getting in bed, I just lifted it. Doing gentle heel slides and quad sets throughout the day helped to help wake up the muscles.
We use cool whip containers of ice! Fits perfectly in my ice machine! They gave me a leg lifter at the hospital

Marie
 
Day two post op:

I got some sleep last night. Went to sleep with my ice machine on for about four hours. I then needed the bathroom and kept the ice off. Tried sleeping on my side but that didn’t work.

I‘m icing top of knee and underneath. It’s tender under the knee and the one spot on my calf. I’m assuming a bruise will be showing soon.

Log leg: this plus the exhaustion is different from my first knee. Anyone have a ballpark idea on when log leg takes its leave?
 
For me, log leg lasted about a week with knee #1 and about five days with knee #2. All of a sudden I was able to lift it to get into bed. It’ll come!
 
@InkedMarie I too had an issue with my ice machine night one. Fortunately I had also purchased a gel ice pack made specifically for TKRs. The problem with my ice machine was the plug contact's where not properly fitting into our childproof outlets. An extention cord fixed the problem. We have had so many similarities with our TKR journeys. I envy your pain level and wish I too was sharing in that same experience with you along our road to recovery. I know every knee is different and every individual heals at their own pace. We are perfect examples of this phenomena!
How are you doing and feeling today?
 
Hi Inked Marie, :wave:
Anyone have a ballpark idea on when log leg takes its leave?
It will gradually ease over the next few days. I did a little research on this strange sensation a while back and came up with the following -
The first stage of healing is the inflammatory phase. During this time it is very common to notice swelling. After lower extremity surgery, or trauma involving bleeding and inflammation, there will be fluid in the leg causing the sensation of heaviness. Gravity pulls the fluid downward and since the patient is less mobile the fluid is not pumping back through the heart as quickly. The swelling gradually eases, but can persist for up to 3-6 months in some cases. Regular movement will assist in the reduction of swelling, as will elevation and ice. Your surgeon may prescribe compression stockings for a short period of time.

Following joint replacement, you may benefit from the use of a Leg Lifter. The Leg Lifter is a mobility aid that can assist in getting in and out of cars, wheelchairs, beds, recliners and much more. The Leg Lifter is an inexpensive option that helps provide safe movement in the early days, to weeks, of recovery.

You seem to be doing okay on Day Two. Hope you sleep well tonight and have a good day tomorrow! :)
 
@InkedMarie I am 9 days out. For me it left quickly. I remember the first few days someone would try and help me lift the leg very very slowly with it burning the whole time. I wanted to scream faster it will hurt less.

I use the cube and colpac. The colpac is better for me after exercise.

Wishes for happy fast healing
 
@InkedMarie I too had an issue with my ice machine night one. Fortunately I had also purchased a gel ice pack made specifically for TKRs. The problem with my ice machine was the plug contact's where not properly fitting into our childproof outlets. An extention cord fixed the problem. We have had so many similarities with our TKR journeys. I envy your pain level and wish I too was sharing in that same experience with you along our road to recovery. I know every knee is different and every individual heals at their own pace. We are perfect examples of this phenomena!
How are you doing and feeling today?
It’s Sunday morning now. I’m doing pretty well. I’m so exhausted though! Yesterday, I was back in bed by 9:15 & slept for almost 2.5 hrs. Guess I needed the sleep!

Yesterday, something new popped up. When I get up from sitting and sometimes at rest, I get searing pain directly on top of my kneecap. It only lasts for a few seconds.

Marie
 
Four day post op update. I’m doing better....feel pretty good. Nowhere near as exhausted as I’ve been. Still no pain. I’ve taken one Dilaudid at bedtime plus one more last Friday. Outside of Tylenol & Meloxicam, that’s it. Still have “log leg” and will be glad when that’s gone.

I found my journal from the first TKR from 2018; kind of fun reading LOL. Not much different.

I had my first PT today. I actually measured at 96. I was kind of surprised. We did some gentle exercises, stretching. They have a little foot pedal kind of a thing....I actually went all the way around....many times! My husband was so surprised that he took a video. I was surprised too!

No complaints for day four. Hope things continue on the upswing.

Marie
 
Isn’t it amazing how pain levels differ for each of us. I’m glad yours is well under control.
 
You are truly blessed with the pain level you have! My partial was awful! (And my outcome was poor, so all that pain for nothing.)

By the way, rather than quoting the whole message, just go down to the reply box, and type your reply, especially if you are responding in the next post.

If you want, you can mention the member you want to address by using the @ sign in front of their username (no space) and type your reply. Not quoting whole messages saves a lot of space on the page, and also saves duplicate reading.

If you want to quote just a line in a post, highlight that line.

At the bottom of the post you will see:

Like/ +Quote/ Quote this message.

Click the +Quote

When you get to the reply box, you will see where it says “insert quotes” Click that and it will put your highlighted area into your reply.

Happy Posting! :flwrysmile:
 
@InkedMarie wow fabulous results. Great ROM. I’ve had to take narcotics several times in my life and I’m lucky. When I don’t need them anymore I just stop taking them. There’s no issue. I basically just forget to take. It’s different with the Dr pressuring me to take less. I NEED them and I’m afraid to let go. Glad this is going well for you.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom