Guest viewing is limited

TKR March 9th RTKR

I just want it to move like my other knee.
It will. You are still early in a recovery that takes an average of a year.

I see you‘ve had two hip replacements. Many of our members who have had hip replacements report that recovery from a knee replacement is very different. Much harder and slower.

I also see that one of your hips was just last year. Two major surgeries in a short time is a little extra to recover from. Your body is trying it’s best to heal. Trust it. Where you are now is not where you will end up.
 
I never considered how my recent hip replacement could play a role in my knee replacement recovery. I can tell you that I don’t believe I ever rehabbed my right hip as effectively as I should have due to my knee. When I got to the more advanced hip exercises, my knee pain would always inhibit those exercises. Early on in my pt for my knee I did experience some hip discomfort. Mostly the variety of bridges they make you do. I’m sure everyone that has had any joint replacement notices a realignment in their bone structure. I now find my feet even hurt more than before. I’m going to have to get new orthotics and sneakers.
 
Yes, @jtrahan, this is a very common discovery post-surgery. I don't think we realize how much we shift and twist our posture to compensate for knee or hip problems until we have surgery. In recovery, it feels as though everything is "out of alignment!" The good news is that feeling will pass with time; as you become more mobile, you body will adjust.
 
Early on in my pt for my knee I did experience some hip discomfort. Mostly the variety of bridges they make you do. I
Bridges are not a good exercise for a knee replacement. I was never told to do them, and wouldn’t have if they did.
I’m going to have to get new orthotics and sneakers.
We often recommend this, as your older shoes have the older wear pattern in them.
 
Hello,
I am now around eleven weeks post op. I am still experiencing intermittent pain and regular swelling. I have on occasion had a peculiar situation and was wondering if anyone else has experienced it. While sleeping, I would will wake up in extreme knee pain feeling as if my knee was being pushed pass it’s current range of motion. I literally wake up screaming in pain. Once I’m awake my knee hurts and I stretch a little and go back to sleep. Am I moving the leg while sleeping where it’s not ready to go?
 
Am I moving the leg while sleeping where it’s not ready to go?
Possible, and it could also be that it was in one position too long without moving. Our healing knees can be so dramatic at times! 3 months is 25% healed, in this year long recovery. It will get better.
 
It was quite frequent that I woke up with my knee in pain for no known reason. As Jockette said, I might have been in one position too long or maybe I had moved it past where my knee was ready for. Who knows? I would get up and walk around or even ride my recumbent bike for a couple of minutes and I'd go back to bed and back to sleep.
 
@jtrahan funny you should talk about waking up in pain. Saturday night, I went to bed at 10pm & fell asleep very quickly which was unusual. At midnight, I woke up in pain! I got up, used the bathroom, stretched and went back to sleep. That was the first time that’s ever happened.

I had my first knee replaced eight weeks after my second hip. At the time, I wish I had waited longer. I’m having a little hip twinges, both hips, since my last knee replacement (six weeks ago). I’ll be glad when we’re all back to “normal”.

Marie
 
The pain was extreme! I dreamt as if my leg was being bent in the opposite direction. This wasn’t the first time. It happened a few times during my first few months on the recliner. I woke almost in a terror as if my leg was being bent further than usual. I can’t recall if it was in flexion or extension. Perhaps I was having a bad physical therapy dream.
 
I'm at 14 weeks and was getting intense night pain last week. I too felt like my knee was being flexed too much and I would wake up crying out! I'm a side sleeper not sure if that was the cause? I tried to sleep on my back but the extension was too painful, primarily pain on the outside of the leg. I didn't want to put anything under my knee and suffered all last week at nighttime waking up with crying fits.
Thankfully the last two nights I have slept much better. I started elevating on my wedge for 1 hour one hour before bed and doing ankle pumps. Also I went back to wearing my compression stockings through the night.
 
There is nothing wrong with putting a small pillow under your knees to help you sleep better. A slight bend is much less painful for most of us.
 
Last night the same thing happened to me again. I just blew it off and went back to sleep. I must move around a lot when I sleep.
 
I’m going back to teaching but I can’t sit. I teach physical education. I see kids from pre-k to 8th grade. I’m six months post op and I’m still having pain and swelling. I’m not looking forward to teaching seven periods every day.
 
Can you bring a set of crutches with you to take some of the load off? I have a set of forearm crutches and I think they are far superior to the usual shoulder crutches. I still use them on bad days to take some of the load.

That's a Speckled Sussex on your shoulder, isn't it? My wife raises chickens and the 'Speckles' as she calls them, are always some of her favorites.
 
I doubt it. Teaching pre-k through second grade is like herding kittens. I have to be mobile. I’m going to see how it goes. I’m starting my 33rd year and am eligible for retirement. I’d rather not retire but if I can’t do my job efficiently I’d rather not do it. I’m going to bring some ice packs to use doing lunch. In addition to my knee, I have been experiencing a horrible case of plantar fasciitis on my opposite foot. I’m now in pt for that. I can’t win.
 
By the way, that’s not a Speckled Sussex. It’s a Dominique. I do have Sussex chickens but that’s not one of them. My Speckles are the most social and my Dominique’s are the biggest drama queens.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] March 9th RTKR
    29928CE2-37FB-43C8-A0A5-4EAFEA416A1C.jpeg
    361.1 KB · Views: 61
  • [Bonesmart.org] March 9th RTKR
    269E522C-9906-4E79-9849-398B88E73439.jpeg
    256.7 KB · Views: 54
@jtrahan
You will notice I have moved the 5 above posts from saleenluver's thread to your thread, the posts are about your recovery, and were derailing saleenluver's thread.
Thanks,
Chris
 
Back
Top Bottom