Guest viewing is limited

TKR Manipulation

I had a MUA after my first TKR. I dreaded it but it was absolutely OK. I was so pleased at the outcome. It was wonderful to sit with both my feet flat down on the floor with knees bent to 90°. Don't worry. (Although I know that's easy to say!)
Go easy on the PT afterwards or, even better, don't do it! Just keep walking about between icing and elevating. Then gradually increase the amount of walking and general activities. You'll be fine and glad you had the MUA. Good luck.
 
@mondurace - Did you decide to have the MUA? If so, what date is set , or what date was it done?
 
A couple of things. One is that it's not ideal to get a second opinion from a doctor in the same practice -- sense of loyalty and all that.

I had MUA at the three month mark after my original TKR because I never got beyond 85 degrees in all that time -- I had a "hard stop" beyond which the leg would not bend. My doctor explained that once you are under anesthesia, they grasp your lower leg and gently push. They can feel and hear the adhesions let loose. I had four small adhesions and one big adhesion break. It takes a minute or two.

During the 10 straight days of PT I'm sure they want to ensure you are "keeping your gains" after the MUA. Read the article on MUA. My experience was any PT that hurt me set me back. Ultimately I ended up in charge of my own PT because the physical therapy place I went to were too forceful and stuck in their thinking.
 
What exactly, are you worrying about?
How about the fact that I had no idea how this TKR was going to be.
Nor all these strange burning, stinging, tearing, sensations I'm constantly experiencing EACH NIGHT.
Nor being constipated, insomnia.
And now, nearly 4 months later, I'm told that things will not get better without MUA and physical therapy has told my Dr that I've stopped progressing.

So since the 24th; (80 degrees ROM) no more PT.
I'm worried about being/becoming addicted to Norco
Still walking as if I'm dragging a tree trunk.

Yes, I should have done a great deal of 'homework' before surgery; I thought surgery and then recovery, then back to work and life would go on. NOT!!

When my Dr's nurse called to tell me about what I needed to do before MUA, I told her I wasn't sure I wanted to do this and would like to get a 2nd opinion. My ortho emailed & said, "Not a problem, we will set you up to see one of my partners."
Just how do I go about getting a 2nd opinion? I'm scheduled for MUA on the 12th
BTW, thanks for the MUA info, Josephine.

Thank you all for sharing your experience. Feeling a bit better knowing I have all your support.
 
Many of us are unprepared for this recovery because we are not told what to expect, or we are led by our medical professionals to have unrealistic expectations. My recovery was an absolute shock.

I agree with all the things you are worried about, I think most of us worry about the same or similar things.

Ideally, second opinions should be with someone who doesn’t know your surgeon. However, I forgot your early stage of recovery. Most surgeons won’t see someone for a second opinion at only 3-4 months post op, partly because as you heal, many early problems resolve over time. Full healing takes an average of a year. So, seeing one of the partners is probably your only option right now. It could be good to discuss your situation with the partner. He/she just might have a different take on matters and make you feel more comfortable.

MUA is a hard decision. I never had a need for it (I’ve had other problems, though) but I’ve read about members not sure whether or not to do it.

Just remember, it is your decision. Nothing can be done without your consent.

A while back Josephine asked if she could ask you questions and she won’t post her questions until you give her permission. Your answers will give her specific information so she can advise you appropriately. She’s had lots of experience and cares about each member here and wants to help. She has helped many of us.
 
I had one on Oct 3rd, 2017, and it didn't help my situation at all. Really disgusted because I did everything I was told to do, PT 4 days a week, excercises at home, etc..and this turned into a nightmare. This was 3 months after surgery, and my surgeon said it was necessary, because my knee wasn't progressing as well as he liked, it never straightened out, and currently is in a bent position when walking. You are sleep the whole time, and it took him about 20 minutes to perform it. Now I'm having a revision with a totally different surgeon on Feb 6th.
 
Last edited:
Hi, @mondurace
What I just did with your name is called tagging someone. You should have gotten an alert at the top of the screen telling you this. The alert will say I mentioned you. If you tap that alert it will bring you to this post.

I’m going to go get some links for you that explain how to do things on this forum. I’ll be back!
 
@mondurace I hope this tag will help you find your thread.
Here are the instructions on how to tag someone How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you
When you want to call me to your thread (this thread) just put an @ in front of my name and after you've posted it, my name should become a blue, underlined link, as described in the article.
 
Let me offer a couple of practical suggestions. In case you are still plagued with constipation, you can solve that overnight using Milk of Magnesia. My personal preference is to use Metamucil once or twice a day while taking narcotics. BTW the latest research I saw on colace stool softeners is they don't work. Regarding "addiction": You are likely physically dependent on norco, but that's not a problem. As your pain diminishes, you will use less and less and finally just naturally stop taking them without having any withdrawal. You just don't want to stop them abruptly.

Regarding your MUA: You can request to delay it (reschedule) while setting up a second opinion if that's what you would like to do. @Jamie can offer you specific recommendations once she knows where you live. One can get in pretty soon to see just about any joint replacement surgeon because they get a lot of cancellations. In the meantime, see what backing off from stressing your knee does in terms of ROM.

I had manipulation and it's nothing to fear, and I do understand completely the uncertainty about having one.
 
I think people tend to get a bit frantic about it because in among the list of required 'warnings' about possible complications is one about sustaining a fracture. It is a possibility but in 55 years in ortho surgery, I've never seen nor even heard of one happening! So I'd say it's rather rare!
 
While surgeons may have appointment openings, most will not see another surgeon's patient for 6 months to a year. I can certainly help you look for someone when and if you need to talk with another doctor. All you'd need to do is tag me in a post or send me a Personal Message (PM) asking for help.

Go ahead and talk with your doctor's partner. Don't expect a lot, though, as he or she will likely have the same recommendation for an MUA. But at least it will buy you some time and it's always possible that the second doctor will be a bit more understanding of your desire to not have an MUA right now and keep the therapy in the "gentle" category. You don't HAVE to do the MUA. Any good surgeon should agree to allow you to work on your ROM yourself and be pleased if you are making steady progress, even if it's slower than what he'd like.

We can help you with any anxiety or other concerns. I see you've already received suggestions for the constipation and your worries about the prescription pain meds. If you follow her guidance, things should be just fine.

We're here to help you get through these challenges, so don't hesitate to post when you need to vent a little or to get answers for a question.
 
Hello everyone. Had my second opinion with a revision total joints MD, (one of my orthopedic Dr's partners). Said my xrays were good, examined my leg/knee (heard the 'clicking') and was very pleased that my leg was 'straight'. However it was only at about 70 degrees. Manipulation was explained and then recommended I do the MUA. No, I'm not surprised, and still pleased I went.

I asked about using the elliptical & bicycle last week & this week (some soreness but not painful). It was advised that I continue the machines with caution. I know that using the elliptical is not a 'full revolution' as the bicycle which I'm just rocking back and forth, but I was elated to go round & round for over a ½hr on the elliptical. Fact is, after doing this for the first time, last week- I cried inside. Make sense? Today, the bicycle!
 
I would wait awhile for the MUA. I refused one after my first TKR two years ago, and it came around just fine, in its own time.
 
Yesterday, on the bicycle- just rocking back & forth, a physical trainer I know walked by and said, "Go on- all the way! You can do it." I couldn't. Then she suggested I stand up and then, YAYYY I DID IT. It was painful & again I cried a little bit. My posture was bad, but she said not to worry- just keep peddling. I did 10 more revolutions. I've also come to realize, (maybe take for granted) how wonderful it is to ride a bike 'full circle'.
 
Of course you could do it standing up! You leg would be straight then. Sitting, it would be bent!
 
Thanks, Jockette for sending me here.
I mentioned yesterday (as it is right now) that my leg- mostly knee was stiff, hard, swollen-front and back. It's been in the 40s when I try to walk (like a pirate) and my knee is cold to touch as well.

Question: When my leg is elevated as for icing, could I apply heat instead? I have a "Thermo therapy" microwaveable body wrap with 100% natural wheat, made in Britain- (Xmas present) & perfect size to place on my knee. Knee just doesn't like ice when it's already cold.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom