Revision TKR Mamie's Recovery Thread

OP
OP
Mamie

Mamie

Country
United States United States
Hi Jamie

Dr. Sinha or his office have not reached out. It’s okay as I have resigned myself to getting where I need to be alone but with my husband and this extraordinary group. My ROM I feel is coming along and PT is not being mean to me. The theory here makes perfect sense. Do you know that old saying...you get more with honey than vinegar? It’s very true. My knee is responding better with kindness I’ve allowed my knee/leg all the resting time it needs and demands. My mood is better as my emotional stress. Talking to others and allowing myself time is paying off.

These surgeons that do not tell you everything upfront are guilty of so much that happens to patients. They didn’t tell me about retention, I had no idea that I would go through this much depression because I’ve always been a fighter in my life but why don’t they tell patients of the possibilities?

I’ve learned it here and with my own experience. I’ve taken the backbone of what I’ve learned from here applying it to my life and through the help of the others beginning to see my way out of this fog. I’ve never been through much in my life except early on, you didn’t tell me a lot. I’ve had tougher times in my life but this surgery is up there for mentally, emotionally, and physically beating you up especially when you have no clue those issues are coming. I still can’t figure out why I have depression or and emotional rollercoaster. I’m not like that.

OP
OP
Mamie

Mamie

Country
Hello again, lovetocookandsew,

Thank you for the information. I have been looking at them both here and Amazon. None are Prime. Do they stand behind them? Also, it offers 18" or 24" and I am not sure if it is for one leg or two. What did you buy? I see the design is a lot different from the lesser expensive ones.

Thank you again,

Mamie

Pumpkln

Country
OP
OP
Mamie

Mamie

Country
Thank you, Pumpkin. I wish I had known that I may get into that emotion. Maybe I could have recognized it and had a chat with my own self about reacting, but instead, all I did was cry. And still do. I'm a fighter and considered to be a strong person but if anyone who thinks that could see me now, who knows what they may think. I don't even like what I see! But, now that I know what it is, I can get a handle on it. So, thank you and everyone for your support.

OP
OP
Mamie

Mamie

Country
Hello sistersinHim

Now, I am trying to figure out if the 18" or 24" is best. You are brave to chase after the left knee. My right one needs it but one is enough for me. Especially since a fantastic competent surgeon does not exist here. Let me know when you do so I can say my prayers for you.

lovetocookandsew

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
None are Prime
Actually if you search for them at Amazon, and click on Prime, there is at least one that's available with Prime. I got the narrower one as I found both my legs fit fine on it and the wider one would have been too wide for some places I wanted to use it. The cheaper ones don't have the gradual slope we recommend, but the LD does,

OP
OP
Mamie

Mamie

Country
Hey There, Kneeper. What do you mean sit up? I am still in this strange phase of never sleeping like a normal person. It is 5 AM before I get to sleep. Or fall asleep at midnight and wake at 1 with horrid pain and sit up until 5.

OP
OP
Mamie

Mamie

Country
Hi, Revision lefty!

:happydance:
I am so happy to hear you feel better. Except for being tired with much to do, I took today off. My leg is doing nothing by side movements or things that do not hurt. My spirits are better and I have hope for the first time. Charlie Horses were getting to my other leg. Anyway, know my prayers remain with you and your recovery. There are so many here that need prayers and it makes my heart so happy to be able to at least help in that way. If I can do anything for you or others, let me know. I hope you keep feeling better.

Stay happy and safe!

OP
OP
Mamie

Mamie

Country
Thanks, lovetocookandsew

I see the inflatable one on Prime. But if we buy them here, will BoneSmart get any commission to help this group? I think we can buy on Amazon also and support a charitable organization. I'll check it out in case our purchases can benefit BoneSmart.

Thanks

Pumpkln

Country
Shop smile.Amazon.com and donations will go to BoneSmart!
Part of your purchase total will be donated to BoneSmart through our parent company, The Foundation for Advancement in Research in Medicine, Inc. (FARM).

lovetocookandsew

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I see the inflatable one on Prime.
The inflatable one is not good from what I understand. But as @Pumpkln says, it helps BS to buy it through the link up top. But if not, there is one on Amazon through Prime-I did find it. I hope you buy it through the link here, but if you can't I can give you the link for the prime LD.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
If you go through smile.amazon.com and designate FARM (as Pumpkin listed for you above) we will receive a small donation. But if you purchase the Lounge Doctor from the banner link at the top of the page, Amazon isn't the middleman and we receive a significantly larger percentage of the purchase price. It's your choice, of course. Do what is easiest for you.

kneeper

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hey There, Kneeper. What do you mean sit up? I am still in this strange phase of never sleeping like a normal person. It is 5 AM before I get to sleep. Or fall asleep at midnight and wake at 1 with horrid pain and sit up until 5.
Yes, sleeping at odd times is normal. I'd definitely sleep in installments. I'd go to bed early, be up part of the night, go back to sleep and then nap. Once I realized that was just the way it was, I didn't worry about it. At least when I had my surgery they weren't so stingy with the pain meds as they are now. :(

OP
OP
Mamie

Mamie

Country
Thank you everyone for advice about the wedge. I will try to do what is best for Bone Smart. I have received so much support that if I make this purchase I want it to be best for the group. One of the problems is shipping. I usually get everything order on Amazon within 2 to 3 days and with the link above it may take a week or more as the Active Skin Repair has.

Another problem at this moment is that I woke at 6 this morning with a horrid pressure in my knee. So painful. I removed the compression wrap they had me wear due to fluid that has increased now to 17 pounds and my bandage they had put there on the incision was fairly soaked through the large surgical absorbent bandage. I'd say it was a full 4" diameter area soaked through several layers of this bandage. I placed a new bandage on but not the compression bandage. I went to sleep after taking a muscle relaxer and Dilaudid but when I woke again a few hours later the area I had not covered was wet with the same bloody discharge. I call it discharge as I know not what else to call it. It was just very painful from pressure. Whatever it is, the knee does not hurt that same way which is totally different from the surgical pain. Maybe it discharge that needed to drain and now the pressure is relieved but why is it there? I took a photo and sent it to the surgeon as the last visit they told me no anything should be leaking from the wound. It scares me as this is the second time but this is much worse.

I am not sure what they will now tell me about the elevation but once they reply, I plan to try to order the pillow lift. My husband seems to feel with so many pillows we bought for this, would work fine but we are not sure. I know there is a right way and a wrong way. My surgeon does not want support under the knee unless it's the entire leg. I just want to be sure. But whatever this drainage is that is looking like blood, should not be happening at this stage.

Talk to you later,
Mamie

Mrs. Ciz

Country
@Mamie, My mom has congestive heart failure. A couple of years ago, her heart meds caused her kidneys to shut down, and she gained 40 pounds of fluid before the doctors realized what was going on. My dad took her to the urgent care clinic because she had a wound on her leg that would not heal. The wound was leaking fluid constantly - enough to leave a puddle on the floor. It turns out the wound was not infected as my dad feared. It was that her body was retaining so much fluid that it started to escape her body any way it could, and it came out through her wound. Could the fluid you are retaining be coming out through your incision? Please get this checked out and let us know.

OP
OP
Mamie

Mamie

Country
Hello Mrs. Ciz,

I told my surgeon when they felt I was 13 pounds with fluid retention that my wound was always either sticky or wet. They wanted to wrap my leg in a compression bandage and it began to work. We discovered I was at 17 pounds fluid retention so my nephrologist began to be nervous about my kidneys since I am already in kidney failure. The good news was that 10 pounds went somewhere with the compression wrap but when I removed it and moved around a lot it has begun to build again. Last night the compression bandage was put back on but during the night,

I woke with pressure so bad I felt as though I would scream. Maybe the compression bandage was too much and the fluid needed to get out but with the bandage soaked in the areas the leaks cam from, pressure woke me. After laying there for about an hour, the pain was too severe to stay quiet any longer, so I removed the bandage and it was soaked through several layers of a bandage. I am leaking from the incision on my thigh and calf. I am waiting now for a reply from my surgeon or his PA. I am almost one-month post-op and do not feel I should be bleeding or leaking. I told them about it at a post-op but it was only sticky when I was there so to them it was not a big deal. They just wanted me to keep pushing.

Thank you for sharing your story about your mom. Your mom's situation sounds awful. Is she better now?

Mamie

OP
OP
Mamie

Mamie

Country
Hello Pumpkin,

I have called the office answering service and informed them of the photographs. No return call or e-mail came today but maybe tomorrow.

Thank you Again!
Mamie

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Lamby121