Bilateral TKR Mamamoe's Recovery Thread

Hi @Mamamoe

I also had bilateral TKR this month on July 6, so I’m a little bit ahead of you. That first week, I really second guessed my decision to have both knees replaced at once, but now I’m glad I did. I don’t want to do this again!

I had PT during my 3 hospital days but no home PT visits. Instead they gave me 7 exercises to do - some on the bed, some sitting in a chair (3 sets of 10 each throughout the day). I am still doing these home exercises plus a few more every single day. I started out patient PT one week post op. I was very scared at first, didn’t think I could do some of the things they asked me to do, but it turns out I COULD do them pretty easily. I was letting my fear get the best of me at first. My therapist is pretty gentle. We focus mainly on strength, endurance, balance, and ROM. I love the 5 minute warm up on the recumbent bike. It really helps my stiffness feel better! I also enjoy the kneecap massage, scar massage and gentle stretching. It all really makes my knees feel better. Occasionally (not every visit) he will push the stretch to take a measurement. It’s a one time thing that’s pretty quickly over and done. None of the other exercises he has me do hurt. And I can see progress in my strength, endurance, balance and even in my ROM each week.

Like you, I am still struggling with stiffness at home. I’ve found that if I get up and walk for 10 minutes every hour and maybe do an exercise or two, I feel a lot better. The holding still for too long makes my stiffness way worse. I also ice and elevate a lot!!! I don’t think you can do that too often.

Self care stuff like a complete shower with hair washing, dressing and getting ready wipes me out. I still use a shower chair for those longer showers, and I need a rest in between all the steps. But for the last week, I’ve been able to stand on my own for quick rinse showers. Progress!

You will make progress! I promise!!!!
 
Self care stuff like a complete shower with hair washing, dressing and getting ready wipes me out. I still use a shower chair for those longer showers, and I need a rest in between all the steps. But for the last week, I’ve been able to stand on my own for quick rinse showers. Progress!
This right here! If I have to wash my hair, it's going to be a shower chair day. That is crazy exhausting on me for some reason.
 
Hang in there! Recovery from one tkr is exhausting so I can’t imagine both! I forget how far along you are, but heading into week 5 for me and it is a huge difference in how I feel now and just a week or so ago. You will get better, the pain will subside and you will wake up one morning not in a fog and think I got this! The first few weeks are incredibly hard.

I would suggest if you have not already, take some time and read thru some recovery threads of similar surgery and see how and when things got better for them. Just know what happens for one person does not mean it will or will not happen for you.
 
Hi everyone,

Well my PT came to the house today and added some more exercises, it was a good workout but now I am feeling it. I have ice on my knees and that seems to help.
I have my 2 week appointment tomorrow so I’m anxious to see what they will say I think I will be starting formal PT this week. I am able to walk a short distance without the walker which is good, but I still get tired easily. I imagine tomorrow will be exhausting since I haven’t been out of the house in weeks.

The self care wipes me out also. I washed my hair tonight and I was totally exhausted after I did. I imagine that will come in time.

Hopefully things will improve with time...
 
I think it'd be a good idea to postpone your outside PT for a few more weeks at least. Your knees are way too young to be going out this early. Plus, there's always the corvid virus out there to worry about. I think you need to build up more immunity and add a little more healing time for your knees before venturing out. It won't set your recovery back at all to wait a while before starting outside PT and will more than likely help it. You are doing well right around your house!
 
When we tell you to take care of yourself and don't push too hard, we mean it. If you or a PT push too hard, your knees will punish you, and not just for a day. The exhaustion and swelling are a way of life for now, but both will get better. It sounds like you are very motivated to gain strength and flexibility, so it will come. Baby those knees for a while.
 
@Mamamoe if you have pain after PT, it’s probably too much for your new knees. I had bilateral TKR on Mar 16, right before everything shutdown so I had no formal PT at all. I walked around my house, used my exercise bike ( but never to the point of pain) then gradually walked around outside, using a walker at first. You can have a great recovery with no PT! My ice machine was my most helpful thing for staying comfortable & I used it any time I was sitting or lying down. At my post op visit my surgeon said I was way ahead of what’s expected & no need for me to do any PT. As for exhaustion, my surgeon said to expect that for 12 months. It has gotten much better & now at 4 months I sometimes have enough energy left at the end of a workday to go for a bike ride. Hope your recovery goes well!
 
Hi

I have a question for anyone. Tomorrow it will be 4 weeks since my bilateral knee replacement surgery. I have been going to PT and doing a few little things around the house but I get tired easily and after doing a few little chores I’m exhausted. Is that normal? I was thinking I should feel a lot better by now. I mean I do feel better but I didn’t think I would get so tired.
 
It’s totally normal to still feel fatigued, so don’t worry. I just looked back through the journal I kept during the early part of my recovery, and at seven weeks, I wrote about feeling so tired after even simple activities. I’m at five months post op now, and my energy level is mostly great, but now and then I’ll have a day when I’m reminded that this is a long recovery. My best advice is to listen to your knee and rest when you need to. Maybe this will help!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Mamamoe's Recovery Thread
    887B56C7-C345-4553-A380-577E5B041032.jpeg
    55.4 KB · Views: 251
I am 8 weeks post-op. Went to Wal-Mart for about 20 minutes to pick up a few things. When I got home I could barely make it up the stairs...I was wiped out!!! Surgery really does "take the wind out of your sail"!! :sleep:
 
Yes. it’s very normal to still be so tired. It’s the healing that is draining your energy. Try not to fight it too much, rest when you need to.
 
Hi

I have a question for anyone. Tomorrow it will be 4 weeks since my bilateral knee replacement surgery. I have been going to PT and doing a few little things around the house but I get tired easily and after doing a few little chores I’m exhausted. Is that normal? I was thinking I should feel a lot better by now. I mean I do feel better but I didn’t think I would get so tired.

I had my right knee revision surgery, to total knee on July 29th. It's unbelievable how exhausted I feel! My knee is doing well am having in-home pt., for another week or so. The bandage is off and it looks good. Pt said they applied glue with dissolvable sutures underneath. At times there is also pain on the underside of my knee which icing helps. Most of my day is spent resting in the recliner with hourly intervals of getting up and puttering around. I can't believe how exhausted I am with such little activity. My body must just need more rest. It feels so good to share and read the posts of others and their knee recovery
 
Hi Everyone

So I went to PT yesterday and my range of motion was 80 in one leg and 87 on the other. I’m 5 weeks post op and I feel like I should be further along.
Let me know your thoughts

Thanks
 
I’m 5 weeks post op and I feel like I should be further along.
Five weeks is just the beginning of what can be a 1 year + process. Your ROM is what it is. Trying to push for an increase will only set you back. Patience prescribed in large doses.
 
5 weeks is still early in the process. Worrying about ROM numbers can cause distress. Rest and find things that give you pleasure. Be patient and gentle with your exercises, so they don't make it harder for your knees to heal.

What a joy it is now to take long walks and bicycle rides! It is true that it's a marathon, not a sprint.
 
A lot will depend on how much swelling you have. It's also not unusual to hit short plateaus. Keep up with the ice and elevation and keep the exercises and/or activities gentle and you should continue to progress.
 
Hi Everyone

So I went to PT yesterday and my range of motion was 80 in one leg and 87 on the other. I’m 5 weeks post op and I feel like I should be further along.
Let me know your thoughts

Thanks
I’ll be 6 weeks post op for bilateral TKR on Monday. I think we all think we should be further along than we are. It’s such a normal feeling because this recovery takes sooooo long. So I’ve started celebrating the small victories. My PT had me walk a short distance without my crutch 1.5 weeks ago. I did it, but it wasn’t pretty. But I’ve been practicing walking crutch free for short distances at hone since then, and I’m getting better at it every day!!!! My extension still needs much work and my flexion is only 100R and 105L with help. I can only get to 90 and 95 on my own. It had been improving about 5 a week but then slowed down. So I’m focusing on heal toe forward walking and toe heal backwards walking, which is supposed to help. And I’m going to start rocking in a rocking chair regularly because I read that this helps too. I’m coming along slowly and so will you!
 
I have a question, has anyone ever pulled a muscle in your groin area exercising. I have a knot of some sort at the top of my right leg, I can feel it when I stand up but not when I lay down. It feels like a muscle, it’s sore but I called the doctor, I want to make sure it’s not a blood clot.
 
A blood clot is usually really painful, red, and hot. But, you did best by calling your doctor.
 
Back
Top Bottom