Bilateral TKR Mamamoe's Recovery Thread

I am still using a walker and I think I will be using it for a few weeks. I’m not ready for the cane yet.

I can take a few steps without a walker if my husbands holds on to my pjs...
 
Congrats on doing both, I think you’ll be grateful to only go through this recovery once. I had my bilateral knee surgery almost 3 years ago. My knees are doing great! Time is for certain what’s necessary for significant pain relief to happen. Best wishes to you!
 
@Mamamoe, maybe you should contact your surgeon regarding feeling dizzy and slightly sick, it could be that the medicine/pills you are taking don't agree with you and you are having side effects.
I did very few exercises at home, for the first few weeks and when I eventually did go to PT, I didn't let them force my knee. Fast forward 9 months I am able to do most things pain free, I have a good range of movement and extension too.
So allow yourself a little "me" time and baby your knees they will "Thank you" eventually xxx
 
I had my at home PT this afternoon. I did a few of the exercises in bed and then did a few the kitchen table. My ROM was 70 on one knee and 65 on the other.

She is coming back tomorrow, hopefully the ROM will be better.
She also removed the bandage. I don’t have staples , they used glue, it looks pretty good...
 
She is coming back tomorrow, hopefully the ROM will be better.
Don’t worry about your ROM at only one week post op. It will improve slowly, as you heal. Don’t get caught up in the mindset of some PTs that it will take work to get the ROM better.


Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.
 
@Mamamoe You are doing GREAT!! You had 2 knees done. It will take some time. This is my 2nd PKR. This recover is going SO much better than the first!! My ROM is better, my incision looks better. I also have NOT been a drama king. What is the difference, I chilled out this time, I did not rush my recovery. I did dedicate a lot of time to Icing and elevating. As I got board, (I have the attention span of a rat on crack) I did a lap around the house, or refilled my ice machine, or some ankle pumps'
As time went on, I started doing more exercises. As you will hear from many people on BoneSmart. Your knee is the boss the more you try to push it, the more it will push back.
 
I had PT today and it was pretty hard. My ROM was only 70 but that was the best I could do. They are coming out again on Wednesday. I’m pretty stiff right now.

Next week I will be going to an outpatient place for PT. I’m kind of nervous about that.
 
PT should not be hard or painful. If it is, then it’s not the appropriate type of PT for you. Unfortunately we find this happens too often.

It is your knee, not theirs, so you need to take charge of the session and not do anything that is painful. Don’t allow them to bend your knee, some PTs go too far with that, and it’s not necessary.

Your ROM will come along fine, as you heal, and as your swelling goes down. Painful PT will slow down that process. Don’t let them do that to you.
 
No pain, swelling, and stiffness=more ROM gain. The more you exercise right now, the more pain and swelling you are going to have. Your number one job is not to worry about that bend and to heal that knee. Your knee heals best with gentle, unforced movements. PT is not helpful if it leaves you stiff and painful. That is bad PT. No PT is much better for your knee than bad PT. Gentle movements only is the key.
 
I had PT yesterday and today I’m having sharp pains in my knees so I cancelled PT for today. They are coming again on Friday. I think I did to much yesterday. Today was not a good day for me , hopefully tomorrow will be better.
 
Pain after PT means you are getting the WRONG PT. Do not do anything that causes pain and swelling. Tell them not to come anymore. That's what I did. I had one home PT that turned into an OT. Then, I told them that I didn't need them and not to come back.

I was in control, not PT. You should do the same thing.
 
You were very wise to cancel today’s PT. Some PTs are overzealous and the patient pays the price. :bignono:
 
Did you have Outpatient therapy? I know I need some type of therapy...
 
Yes, I did have out patient therapy. It was somewhat aggressive, they force bent my knee and it took a while to recover from it and then it was time to go again for another appointment. I went 3 times a week the first month, to out patient, starting at 48 hours after surgery.

They put me in the pool at 4 weeks post op, for almost an hour! Way too long for 4 weeks post op. It took me 3 days to get back to where I was before I went.

It was at that point I googled “stopping therapy” and found Bonesmart, and learned that I didn’t have to do the type of “therapy” I was getting. I started cancelling appointments and only went twice in the next 4 weeks, and I got what I call an “honorable discharge” when I was 8 weeks.

Next time around I will not have formal PT. I will manage my own rehab at home, and be far better off than I was this time. It’s not rocket science. (one of my favorite sayings!) All you have to do is give the knee movement and be patient and let it heal. As it heals you will naturally get stronger and be able to do more.
 
Hi I had bilateral knee surgery over two years ago. I second what everyone is saying about ROM and exercises. Sometimes if the PT is too much, it can cause additional swelling. I did not do much PT at all, for a couple of reasons. First of all I had very persistent and annoying skin issues post surgery, with my stitches inflaming and blistering. It took three months for all that to resolve, and any PT only aggravated that condition. So I relied on activities of daily living and walking for my exercise. And lots and lots of icing and elevating. The other reason was that I had very good ROM early on (through no efforts on my part, it just worked out that way). Such that my surgeon told me there was no need for further PT, just to keep moving the knee in walking or on the stationary bike.

I wanted to add that my gut is very sensitive to meds, and I tried never to take anything on an empty stomach. I kept a plate of saltines by my bed, and ate a cracker before every dose of pain meds. I avoided nausea that way, from the pain meds, and also the strong antibiotics I was on for the skin issues.

Hang in there - you will be so glad you did both at the same time. But it really is a year long recovery, so patience (of which I have little) will really help.
 
I’ve just been so depressed today about the PT. I just don’t know what the right thing to do is. I guess I need to think about it when I’m in a different frame of mind.

Maybe I will start out going and just see how it goes. If I don’t like it then I will quit and manage my own rehab.

What you guys said makes perfect sense. Thanks for everything.
 
I know how hard that PT decision is, I struggled with it myself, in those early weeks of my recovery. We are led to believe that we absolutely must go to PT, but I was not handling mine well, and even my husband, who was always an athlete, could see that. We were both afraid for me to stop going, and worried what my surgeon would say, etc. etc.

I have learned a whole lot since then (I’m 3+ years post op now) My knee continued to heal past the one year mark, and even past the 2 year mark, and I haven’t done any formal exercises since that awful day in the pool at 4 weeks.

I have also seen so many members here who have had successful outcomes without painful PT.

We do also have members who like to go to PT, and do well with it. It all depends on your particular body and the therapist that you work with. (They are not all created equal)

So, go ahead and give it a try. Just keep in mind that you need to stay in control of the session (I didn’t know that before I found Bonesmart) Don’t do anything that is painful, and don’t let them push your knee, either to bend or straighten it. If it goes well, continue with it, if it doesn’t go well, then do your own movements at home.

Also keep in mind that this is a year long recovery, we are all different and there is no set timeframe, your body will heal on its own timeframe and you can’t speed that up. :console2:
 
Jockette is so right about therapists. I had a great one with my second knee--very collaborative. She might say let's try 10 of exercise x. If I got to 8 and said "that's it for that one" she accepted it. I think the good ones want to see you try but do listen to you.

My PT with the first knee was pretty good, but ultimately too aggressive for my situation. I tried to please by doing some things against my better judgment). :bignono:With knee #2 I said no to the aggressive exercises but was willing to try others. Oh, and I also refused to go 3x/week which was their default.

I will also say that 70 at just a couple of weeks is not bad. If you're swollen the knee isn't going to bend more no matter how much you try. The focus is on ice and elevation early on.
 
I have a question, I’ve been doing some exercises in bed and the one where you bend you knee and slide your forth back and forth, if I bend too much will it cause the glue to break open. That’s what it feels like but I was not sure how much to force it.
 
I was not sure how much to force it.
Don't force it at all. Forcing it will probably cause more pain and swelling and slow down your healing. Just gentle, unforced movements is the best thing for your healing.
 
Back
Top Bottom