PKR Makoplasty Recovery<

Hello @Josephine, here is another pic. Hopefully it is better. Thanks, Craig

[Bonesmart.org] Makoplasty Recovery<




I have attached a photo of my knees to show the swelling. Not sure how severe it is never had any kind of operation in the past. This picture also shows the two extra holes they put near my patella tendon and quad muscle for the camera and the robot. Not sure this could be impacting my tightness and inability to bend past 90°? Thanks, Craig
 
show the swelling. Not sure how severe it is
It's moderate. Nothing to worry about.
also shows the two extra holes they put near my patella tendon and quad muscle for the camera and the robot. Not sure this could be impacting my tightness and inability to bend past 90°?
That's not the problem. Your problem is inadequate pain meds and doing too much!

Do you remember this advice I gave you earlier? You said you would adjust your meds - did it help?
Well for a start you probably need to adjust for pain meds. Ibuprofen is a poor pain med and has some nasty side effects to boot so I would strongly recommend you stop using it. Medications: acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) and NSAIDs, differences and dangers
The Tylenol is better but you need to take 1,000mg 4 times a day for better pain relief.
 
Hello, I wanted to give a 12 week update on my patella femoral PKR, Makoplasty. I hope that this update helps others that may be considering a PKR.
The good news:
-surgeon says I am doing well
-ROM is up and down but easily over 100 degree flexion and is 0 degrees extension
-pain is minimal taking 1000 mg of Tylenol per day
-swelling is very minor
-X-rays show that the prosthetic is perfectly in place and tracking nicely
-quad pain and tightness is much less
-I attribute this change to consistent deep muscle massage using Vitamin e oil and stretching
-played 36 holes of golf last week using a cart not much issue other than tired and stiff in the evening
-a hot bath and massage with vitamin e oil solved this problem

The bad news:
-Ultrasound of quad muscles and upper patella tendon show blood and fluid around the tendon
-they had a sports med doc come in and look at the pictures
-he said this is not common but will dissipate with time and movement
-the body should absorb the blood and fluid
-this fluid around the tendon is causing some of the tight stiff feeling I get when I sit for longer periods
-it is also causing me to have less ROM than otherwise predicted at this stage

For others with PKR quad and patellar tendon tightness an ultrasound may reveal the issue...

Daily routine:
-Stationary bike 15 minutes low resistance
-stretching and 15 to 20 heel slides
-bowflex max trainer 10 minutes no resistance
-then just everyday life

I specifically asked the surgeon about longevity of my replacement. He said and I quote, “with today’s improved materials, the use of the Mako robot and lack of stress on this type of replacement you should get 25 years out of this procedure.”

To close I would recommend this procedure. There have certainly been ups and downs but I am better off than before surgery and I feel at some point down the line I will be near 100%. I do think a partial replacements success hinges on the number of operations the surgeon has performed and also the use of the Mako robot for accuracy. They have eliminated items like the plastic spacer that failed in other partials so the longevity projections have improved greatly.

I hope this helps someone out there make an educated decision. We are all different, heal differently and need different courses of action for us to heal.
Good luck to all!
 
will dissipate with time and movement
This doesn't necessarily mean exercises. Just ordinary activities and walking (though not to excess) is quite sufficient.
this fluid around the tendon is causing some of the tight stiff feeling I get when I sit for longer periods - it is also causing me to have less ROM than otherwise predicted at this stage
Otherwise known as "swelling"!! Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
you should get 25 years out of this procedure.”
And the rest!
 
I, too, had a makoplasty in early November for a total replacement. The two holes they placed for the robot healed pretty quickly, although the one in my shin hurt for a while longer than the actual incision did. It's pretty calm now, and I don't even notice it.

I was wondering about the recumbent bike. We have a new one at our rec center, so I'll give it a try. I've been doing the regular upright one in slow motion (full cycles) for about 20 minutes every two days and it's helping a lot.

Interesting about the fluid buildup -- I suspect I have a little of that in two spots where my quads attach and that results in a bit more stiffness than I'd like. I have a checkup with the OS next week and will ask about that. Thank you for mentioning the issue.
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom