PKR MAKO PKR

@bowhunter8, bruising is very normal (remember the video?), the extent will vary person to person. I didn’t have much myself, but did get some yellow streaks down the outside. Others who have posted pics experience quite a bit. Guess it depends on your tendency to bleed (which, if I remember correctly, is what a bruise is).

Sounds like you are doing very well.
 
@NavyGunns thanks for always sharing your experience. I must have forgotten the part on bruising, was a little woozy that day. The info on this forum is priceless. I have had so many well intentioned people telling me what I should or should not do. I always come back and read experiences and articles of people here and feel better about not pushing it...which is usually how I do it.
 
Hi @bowhunter8 I’m doing pretty well, I think. As I said above, I bruised....a lot. The last couple days, under my knee hurt. I used my phone and see a nice sized bruise there. Bruise on my shin bone popped up last week, started as yellow and now a few purple spots showing up.

I am using a cane as of today; I haven’t gone out to a public place yet but if I did, I’d use a crutch (keeps people at bay more). I had a hip replacement two weeks before my knee; that is bothering me more but not surprising as I have a new knee.

Boredom is my problem now; it was my right knee so I’m not driving now. I’ve been doing in home PT (gentle...she thinks I do it when she’s not here but only a few) and I will start outpatient amweek from today.

My ice machine is my best friend. I haven’t had any pain since surgery!
 
It's amazing, isn't it, how many people have opinions about your recovery? :heehee: The only person in a position to know what's going on with your recovery is you. You alone can tell what's going on with your knee. Listen to it (it is the real expert) and you'll continue to do great!
 
@Celle some of those pictures looked pretty rough. I typically don’t bruise much but I felt better after seeing some of those pics.

@SusieShoes i have a friend who works at the surgical outpatient facility I used to go to with my old ortho.she is strongly pushing me to go to PT 3x a week right now. Honestly, I couldn’t imagine the pain level I would be at if I added PT on top of my daily ADL. She says that going back to a physical job will require me to have a lot of therapy. At this point, no one could convince me to do PT. I KNOW I will pay for it. I would agree though that once I am able to do strengthening exercises it would be in my favor to be consistent with them. I have lost a lot of leg strength this year but right now is not the time to push to get it back.
 
@bowhunter8, if you look over my recovery post, you’ll see that I didn’t start PT until 3 weeks post op. I was scheduled for 3x per week for 4 weeks. Almost cancelled the last week but ended up keeping the appointments to focus on resolving a nagging pain issue due to inflammation around my incision. PT activities were solely dependent on how my knee felt and never involved any pushing by my therapist. It did involve a lot of massage and gentle movement of the knee to facilitate stretching. I typically started with some walking on the treadmill or pedaling on the stationary bike and always finished with TENS and ice. I never experienced pain during nor left in pain as a result of pt activities.
 
I have lost a lot of leg strength this year but right now is not the time to push to get it back.
I agree! Give your knee time to heal and then it will be ready to do things to strengthen it. Many PTs don’t consider healing, they want you to regain everything now. (and some surgeons do, too, mine did)

NavyGuns had an excellent PT. Many are not like his.

You are in charge of your recovery, not your friend, a PT, your surgeon, not even us here at Bonesmart. Consider all the information you get, consider your knee, and make the decision you feel is best for you, just like you are doing. :thumb:
 
My experience with PT was similar to Navygunns. I started PT one week post op. Initial Pt was gentle manipulation and some guidance on exercise. Much of the guidance was to do less, but I think my therapist helped me focus my exercise based on the condition of my knee. My therapist also helped to massage some of the swelling out of my knee. I think it helped. It also helped me to feel like I was doing something and taking control of my recovery.
 
As of now, my OS will let me know at my 2 week if he thinks I need PT. Factors were that I am young, active and had pretty good ROM and leg strength before surgery.

I have a buddy who is a PT. I remember being there for a torn groin muscle and watching him put heavy ankle weights on big burly men’s knees to try and get them straight. I also remember the sweat pouring out of there heads and the looks of agony on there faces. I’m glad I stumbled across this site because I dreaded knowing that I would be doing that myself. My leg is able to get fairly straight on its own right now, not quite zero but pretty close at day 6.

Not sure how much this is helping either but I am strictly on an anti-inflammatory diet and supplementation plan with an emphasis on bone repair. I guess time will tell.
 
@Jockette i am mainly eating lean organic protein sources and organic fruits and veggies. I am staying away from all gluten, refined sugar and going really light on dairy. If I were to make a food list it looks like this. Eggs, organic beef, chicken breasts, salmon, spring mix, spinach, kale, arugula, olives, cucumbers, carrots, hummus, celery, cauliflower, apples, oranges, EVOO, avacado oil,bananas, grapes, organic oil and vinegar dressing, etc... of course I am at the mercy of what my wife makes but she has been sticking to the guidelines. Also I supplement with calcium, d3, magnesium, fish oil,turmeric curcumin blend, bone broth, kombucha for my gut and a super green powder.

It work so well prior to surgery so I am curious to see long term with this recovery how I’ll do.
 
Thank you. I know I need to change the way I eat. It’s just so hard to pull the plug on all that tasty stuff that isn’t good for us!
 
Black pepper is also a natural anti-inflammatory. I try to add it frequently to my food.
 
@Jockette food has always been a struggle for me, still is. I have spent most of my youth and adult life overweight. My wife, who is fit as a fiddle,has been going through a lot of health issues. A few months ago We changed the way we ate for a month and were amazed at how good we felt that we kept on eating that way. I have energy, I don’t have the brain fog, my arthritis isn’t as bad and I crave healthier foods. I feel so good that it makes my eating choices/habits easier to make. Sometimes that fat kid inside shows his face and I eat bad and I physically feel terrible... brain fog, achy joints, etc... just can’t wait to recover and have all that energy with a better pair of knees,,
 
I agree. Back in 2009 I did the South Beach diet, and I lost weight. The only thing it suggested measuring was nuts, because of the fat content, even though it was healthy fat. And you are right, I stopped craving those cookies I had loved.

I ended up not staying on it because over time I found it too restrictive. I have since learned I am an all or nothing dieter. One slip and I felt like I had failed, instead of just forging on with better decisions. I also found it very hard to eat at someone else’s house, where I had no control of the ingredients. Again, failure because I didn’t eat “right”. It got boring in restaurants to just order meat and vegetables.

I realize now that I eat at home much more often than I don’t, and it’s ok to go “off plan” for one meal, but I haven’t gotten back on the eating better wagon.
 
Agreed, that is me to T....it is very hard outside of my “controlled environment”. My mother in law always bakes Whoopi pies, cakes and cookies and drops them off at the house. Makes it very hard. There is a balance that needs to be achieved because you can only restrict yourself for so long. Being 34 and already have a replacement, it has helped me realize I need to take better care of my body now and not keep abusing it like I have the past 30 years.
 
I’m 62. I had my daughters in my early 20s and my son at 28. All while they were growing up I baked all the time, I drank koolaid, we ate white bread and used store brand margarine. I was thin as anything!

Now I eat healthier than I ever did (even with cookies) and I can’t lose weight.

I do suspect carbs no longer agree with me, especially bread and cereal, but I no longer like to cook and just want something quick for dinner. I know I’m not doing myself any favors and need to make changes, if “only” to feel better physically, like you said you do, regardless of a weight loss.
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom