Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Made it!!

Well done, it will be worth it . Onwards and upwards from this point .
 
Hi Stella
Hope you are getting this double hippy recovery business all figured out.
Wishing you a restful weekend!:ice:
 
hi gang-day 5 of post op recovery. doing ok- alternating between crutches & walker; icing as much as I can, pounding down water...sleeping is challenging!! ugh trying to sleep on my back is so hard for me. gonna take my first post op shower today then I get to put those lovely TED stockings on once again lol. Appetite- it's there somewhat. My hubby has been wonderful in preparing meals, and just overall taking care of me. As well as my kids.
Swelling- it appears to be getting better but boy I feel like I could give Kim Kardashian a run for her money! My P
T came to see me yesterday and reviewed the exercises given to me by the hospital. I am doing those 3 x a day, trying to get up and walk around the house ; I will tell you day 4-yesterday, seemed like it was a bit of a tough day But thanks to this forum knowing some days will be good and others will feel like I took a few steps back, it's to be expected. Trying to keep a positive attitude, meditate (if my mind could stay focused) and doing yoga nidra which has been very helpful when trying to get some sleep time.
I have 0 movement restrictions, and from what the visiting nurse told me, very little bruising. Dr Phillips my surgeon -I am so very grateful to him. I have been off opiods since day 2 and taking Tylenol every6 hrs. The preop nurse told me Dr Phillips patient's usually do so well that not alot of pain med management is required.
There is one thing I've noticed- when up and walkiing- my Left leg/hip is so much weaker than the right That hip was worse off tho too. When I shift my weight into that leg (using the walker) , it almost feels like pressure- I dont know if that's the right word- I am figuring it's due to the muscles having to learn to re-fire?
 
I too had a "better " leg...and it was the one that was better pre-op.
It's undoubtedly weaker as you probably babied it more when you walked pre-op!
There will be lots of retraining with gait and posture AFTER some more healing happens!
The strength will come back as you get more mobile. Really early days still.

There will be all sorts of strange sensations going on...my bad leg was a log leg for first weeks.
Didn't want to listen as well.

You are doing just great. Healing hugs!:roseshwr:
 
You're doing really well! So awesome to read.
Back sleeping is a challenge when you're not used to it.
Glad to hear you feel well taken care of and are keeping a positive attitude.
It will take you far. I hope you have a peaceful relaxing weekend.
Yay for first shower!
@stellaluna
 
Hi gang. Day 6 . Wow got a look at the bruising- explained the discomfort I had last nite, I think?? Still pretty swollen. I have noticed almost like a pinching sensation in front of right hip - where the hip flexor/psoas is. I notice it when I’m sitting and I’m in hip flexion. Now I’m still swollen down there so wondering if that’s a contributing factor? No problems walking or doing PT exercises or stairs; trust me I’m not going crazy; I wanna sleep more than anything.
 
Are you icing and elevating? That will help ease the swelling.

Please do go light on exercise. Your new hips need rest - not increased activity.
 
@jacey yes I am icing quite a bit. Doing pt exercises 3x a day, BRIEF crutch or walker walks around the house a couple x a day (like 5 min) I also count bathroom trips as well! And today I am sleeping a lot/ a solid morning nap and afternoon nap. Trying to just really respect what’s happening in my body.
 
I have noticed that the left hip- which was the worse of the two- I still feel some discomfort similar to what I felt preop. It’s not in the groin area but rather on the outer hip.. which is where I had pain preop. Could this be because that hip was so bad the muscles took a beating? Thoughts??
 
Possibly? I'm no medical expert..but stands to reason that if the muscles were constantly aggravated before they will take time to settle?
Hard to take inventory ...I tried to also...this early out honestly.
Everything old and new makes you pause and wonder.
Lots of stages to go through - with better walking and posture...new aches.
All likely temporary!
Hope you are icing like a fiend!:ice:
 
Hi gang. Day 11 post op. Down to a cane in the house ; using crutches for brief outside strolls- right now I’m getting out once a day but moving around regularly inside house; discomfort is better esp after dr called in script for muscle relaxer- the quad pain at nite was really uncomfortable and interfering with sleep. Feeling good today but man I can’t believe how easily I tire! After doing my PT exercises and a short 10 min stroll with my PT I was ready to lay down! Continuing to ice; I also came up with some super gentle yoga I can do seated on the bed or standing; mostly upper body stretching and opening; the walker is a great prop for modified down dog, and my bureau is a great prop for chaturanga pushups! Oh and yoga nidra has been a huge help in relaxation! My home PT is great; she gave me a couple ideas for safe hamstrings stretches and core work. Icing like crazy but most of the swelling is gone. My first post op is next Thursday.
 
It sounds like you're doing great! Keep up the good work.
Energy Drain is real after major surgery. Our energy supply isn't limitless. So while healing after surgery our energy will be used for healing first, not leaving a great reserve for all the other activity of daily life. It's normal to feel tired for quite some time. How long....most likely relates to your body's rate of healing. Get enough rest / sleep and sneak in a nap when you're able. Our body does it's best healing while we're sleeping.
Best wishes for a restful weekend!
@stellaluna
 
It's going to get there.
Sending healing hugs...:roseshwr:
Rest is what the body says...and we can't fight that.
 
Last edited:
Hey gang... 13 days post op bilateral THR... I am doing pretty good I think-doing my PT exercises 3x a day as instructed, got in 2 10 min outdoor strolls yesterday (felt so good to be outside/so healing!) ;I am now on the cane but use crutches for outdoor walks; icing like crazy. The damn leg cramps in thighs still wake me at nite; got on a muscle relaxer for it but not sure it's completely helping; I end up getting ice in middle of the nite to put on thighs and I swear it helps. The other thing I have noticed is my left hip, which was the more severe w/OA and weaker of the two, I get a dull ache on that side when I weight bear 100% on the leg. It is right over the outer hip; thinking it is a weak muscle maybe glute medius; I do know that before surgery that hip was super weak. I can even see a difference now when I do a knee lift on that side, there is 0 compensation and that's exciting. But wondering about this muscle ache and how to relieve. My PT is coming tomorrow so will ask but wondered if anyone here has experienced this. All in all I am so very very thrilled with recovery. I even started doing some gentle standing yoga breathing exercises and it feels wonderful.
 
Oh and my first Post op is this Thursday! I'll check in with you all afterwards <3
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom