THR Lucky the new hip - outpatient style!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @TriciaGP!

Great update my friend and fellow April graduate!

I thought I'd add in my two cents worth and reinforce the pain med issue. TAKE YOUR PAIN MEDS EVEN IF YOU DO NOT HAVE PAIN at least through the first week. I didn't heed my own advice last night and boy did I pay for it. It took me all night to get ahead of the pain again.

Keep on keeping on and remember...slow and steady. Hugs! :)
 
@Cynthia777 :friends: am definitely following your advice. Had thought about dialing back on the pain meds a little but hearing of your overnight adventure, I think I'll just keep on the way we've been going. Glad to hear you up and about! Was missing your posts! April was definitely a good month! Hugs! Hope you're able to get better sleep as well!
 
When you start cutting back, make sure you cut back VERY slowly. When in cut back the last time I had tried too go too quickly and I definitely felt withdrawal symptoms (sweats and a real downer feeling). I had been taking
10 Mg's of Percocet 3 times a day, so I dropped one full pill which was too fast (at least for me). So, I cut back to 2 and 1/2 pills three times a day for a few days, then dropped another 1/2 pill for a few days, until I had completely stopped them. This formula worked well for me, but you may be able to cut back a little quicker (just play around with it and see what works for you). I get where I'm feeling really good, so my mind starts lying and telling me I don't need them as much ...wrong! The dirty little mind is trying to play with me! :heehee:
 
Thank you @Cynthia777 :loveshwr: makes sense to cut back slowly not just drop them altogether. Definitely don't need any withdrawal symptoms.
Did PT this afternoon, added some exercises, walking on cane instead of walker, 1739 steps today. Sore now. Popped a pill and gonna rest. Telling myself to try to take it easy, don't have to move so fast.
Hope everyone has a restful evening! Hugs! :roseshwr::friends:
 
@TriciaGP Hi , Bilateral Jim here. Sounds like you recovering nicely. Remember that this was a major surgery and just heal. 22 months ago i was chopped, sawed, dislocated,sewn on, super glued, hammered and then some. I did my own rehab which consisted of walking. period. I healed and fueled and rested. Like Jos will tell you. Hip do fine on their own. Fabulous advice. Now, those teds were something else. I threw those away after 7-8 days. Good Luck and rest, your body will love you for it!
 
Thanks @Michegon! Working on listening to my body. So far, doing okay at it. Slept most of the day yesterday, and felt pretty good for it. Telling self it's okay to nap during the day right now. Did a good bit of walking today, a little tired but amazed at the progress! Hugs and well wishes to everyone. So glad I decided to just do this and not keep touching it out. :-)


RTHR April 28, 2016 Mississippi, USA
 
You sound wonderful! I'm so happy for you Tricia! You're recovering the right way (slow and steady and listening to your body). I'm sure PT has its place, but if recovery is progressing nicely, no sense in ruining a good thing, right? Hugs! :loveshwr:
 
@TriciaGP - well done you! But I do read your enthusiasm and the penalty for ever so slightly overdoing it. I wear a step counter too and really went for it a few days ago. It didn't feel pain, all seemed comfortable enough at the time, so I pushed on. :walking::walking::walking::walking:
Well, next day I was completely floored! :dead:
We get all they great advice on here and think we're unique and can cope eh?!
Am taking it steady now ..... probably just over-keen to be completely back on top. It's understandable I guess. Be good! :angel:
 
Hi Everyone! @TriciaGP @Cynthia777 As I NOT so patiently wait for Herman's debut, I'm fighting the OA pain which seems to worsen each day. Without Hubby here to baby me lol, I'm definitely doing more around the house than I usually do. Boy am I paying the price! I've been listening to your advice on taking the pain meds on schedule, needed or not at that moment. Problem I'm having is that every 6 hours isn't working! By 6 hours (esp if I've been up too much) it's already consuming me. I don't see any reason why I can't take one every 5 or 5.5 hours. They take an hour to work! An hour from hell in many instances. Anyone else experiencing this? Ugh. I need Herman.
 
@Jillie422 :sneaker:Poor you! Am I assuming you've only on over the counter pain control? I had to stop all my anti inflammatory meds for the final 5 days which I found particularly difficult. It's very hard for you coping alone which is an extra pressure. If you've got your ice/gel packs have you tried elevating and icing to give some temporary relief? Am praying these final few days pass quickly for you. Best wishes
 
@Jillie422 Most things I have taken for pain have every 4-6 hours recommended in the instructions with no more than 4 doses in 24 hours so when it hurts I go for every 4 hours during the day when I'm active and then take less in the evening when I rest. But I find the real key with pre-op pain is just reducing activity as much as you can. I started following the BoneSmart Mantras pre-op as a way of fighting pain - lie down when you can, sit when you can, don't do anything that isn't necessary - and using elbow crutches outside the house just to take the pressure off my legs.
 
I also had a 'drive-by hip replacement', with an overnight stay in the hospital. My short term disability pays for the first week if there is a hospital stay, but requires me to use vacation for the first week of the surgery is outpatient.
 
@Jillie422 definitely agree with @Miss Muffet @Readysetgo @Cynthia777 If it doesn't have to be done take a rest and let it go. Ice and elevate. Ice is my new best friend. :ice: It's only a few days now. When your hubby gets home he'll take care of things. Best to rest now while you can. Rest up for surgery, sounds so weird, but you'll feel so much better afterwards. Don't over do it any more at this point. It's too close down to the wire. Hugs :console2:

@EricaC :welome: hope you are recovering well and resting.mmwhere did you have surgery? Mine was at Madison Physician Surgery through MS Sports Medicine. Glad it is done.
 
@Cynthia777 @Miss Muffet @Readysetgo thanks for your words of encouragement! I've been so up since the surgery which was one week ago today. A little down today. Some pain in hip, may have done too much yesterday. And still plugged up. Have tried just about everything. Feeling a little queasy today. Gonna drink water and rest. Love this site and all of y'all! What a great fellowship and service. Each and every day this site and its members help people work through a lot of fear. I am grateful you are all here! :friends:
 
@TriciaGP
What seems to work great for me is taking 400 Mg's of magnesium, once in the a.m. and once in the p.m. for constipation. While in the hospital they gave me Colace and that too worked well. Hope this helps.
 
@Cynthia777 thank you! Sounds like a good idea! Magnesium makes sense and is good for lots of things It seems. Great thought thanks. That's why this forum is so good! A place to pool lots of good diverse info.
 
@TriciaGP Enjoyed reading your recovery thread. Hope you are at last having relief in the elimination department.

Several years ago, I had foot surgery and took the pain meds without any stool softener. Oh boy, not good. Ended up in ER because of the plugged pipes because I had no idea why I had all that pain. Duh! This time around, I'm taking Dulcolax and I'm back on schedule, but, with Cynthia's reminder about magnesium, I think I'll switch to using that. It does work.

I see you're from MS. We often pass through your state on our way out west and especially enjoy traveling on the Natchez Trace... beautiful.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom