Lounge Doctor

TKR LTKR on June 23

beesknee

Country
United States United States
Thanks Jan, I have heard the peas work well too.I have so many freezable gel packs, I even made a few with alcohol, water, and water absorbing beads....
I have 4 refillable ice packs. 2 I fill with a mixture of water and alcohol and the fresh to a nice cold soft slush and can be refrozen over and over. The other two I fill with water and ice as need.

I use the alcohol and water ones when elevating for a while and the ice and water when I am sitting around the house and want a quick icing.

One thing for sure, the day I don't need or see and ice pack will be a very happy day for me. They make my knee feel better but getting sick of cold ice on me several times a day.

OP
OP
Jo Wo

Jo Wo

senior
Country
I know, @beesknee.....some days I just don't want to ice. I find that sometimes just a bit of coolness is enough to soothe. also the medial side gets angry at the ice quicker, throwing me zingers. So I put extra layers of fabric over that area.

I can now tell if my knee is ready for more activity if it stays relatively cool after the ice is off. it always seems slightly warmer than my good knee but I can feel the heat of inflammation go up and know it's time to rest

Irongirl56

Country
I guess I am months away from floor exercises @Sisterpat.

Weeding is also going to be difficult.
I have finally made it to the floor but have had lots of practice from all my other surgeries. I have had 2 surgeries where I was non weight bearing and in a straight leg brace for 6 weeks so figured it out with that on.
with this recovery I am able to bend over and put myself in a downward dog pose then bend the good knee to kneel on and swing the hurt knee around and sit on the floor. I find it much easier to do my extension work on the floor so had to figure it out. The harder part is getting back up but again I kneel on my good knee keeping my hurt leg straight out behind me or a bit to the side. I put myself back in a downward dog and walk my hands in to a forward fold and rise up. using the bed or a chair can work too.

OP
OP
Jo Wo

Jo Wo

senior
Country
thanks @Irongirl56. I had a hunch the down dog would be a good way to begin.

We have a total gym system and I dont know how I can get started doing upper body at a low incline on that. I think I am months away from that!

OP
OP
Jo Wo

Jo Wo

senior
Country
DAY28: 4 weekiversary. I feel as if I am turning a corner here in week 4.
Yesterday I walked outside, circling the house on grass or pavement, up and down a few steps because our lot is not level, for a total of four minutes. We cleaned the kitchen floor in the morning. took it easy the rest of the day and only took 1000 mg tylenol every 12 hours instead of every 8. I pedalled the recumbent for ten minutes before bed, moving the seat down a bit after the first five minutes. Thought that might put me in ODIC but it didn't. Slept fine. After warming up my knees with some high step marching, I went downstairs on both feet with cane and railing. Tomorrow I am off the aspirin regimen and can take naproxen or Ibuprofen alternating with the tylenol. Today I will try the tylenol 625 every 8 hours instead of the 1000 mg every 12 hours and see if that works.

Arrangrl

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Jo
You are doing great ! Happy Post Op Anniversary!

Irongirl56

Country
Jo, you are doing fantastic! Week 4 seems to be the week for improvements!

MTBinNC

Country
"
I have a zero degree knee heel rest foam block coming home with me. need to use for a total of 5 hours a day.
@Jo Wo , I think you'll find that zero degree heel rest very uncomfortable. It really isn't necessary to keep your knee completely straight while you're in bed and your final degree of extension won't be compromised if you allow your knee to bend a little, especially while you're elevating your leg."

Well- I sure wish I'd seen this before my surgery!! No one mentioned that I didn't have to keep my leg in that thing. It was awful! After a while my Home Health PT suggested the pain it caused (and lack of sleep) wasn't worth it

OP
OP
Jo Wo

Jo Wo

senior
Country
My extension was zero from very early on, so I abandoned it quickly. The home pt made me use it to prop my knee for short arc quads.

OP
OP
Jo Wo

Jo Wo

senior
Country
DAY29: I was a victim of ODIC's sneaky recruitment tactics yesterday. I did my morning walkabout the outside of the house for 15 minutes. It felt fine, no pain. Then I practiced walking a few back and forth passes on the patio without the cane. went inside, showered, rested, iced. At lunchtime I did some prep tasks for dinner, and waltzed the stick vac around the living room to hunt down some dust bunnies. But within hours my knee applied for a one day guest pass at club ODIC. The rest of the day was resting, icing, hobbling to and from the bathroom on a tight knee.

I was stupid, despite all my self talk warning me to be wise. I had to reming myself that more than two months before my surgery I timed how long I could do that same outdoor walk around the house and it was less than 10 minutes. After that point I did very little walking other than in the house for ADLs. So I think it's got to be at least a week of 10 minute walks for me before pushing on that number.

Today I feel much better after a good sleep. But no outside walking, since we need to go to cvs for an rx and the supermarket for fruit, not for full shopping. Thankfully, the pt place called to cancel this morning's appointment because the insurance authorization has not come through yet.

Arrangrl

Country
Hi Jo

I had a very similar day to you which meant the next day I was very tired and a little bit sore - lesson learned. I live alone my daughter has gone back home , so have to do most things myself , I’m doing them gradually though …

Patience is a virtue on this recovery isn’t it!

Jan x

OP
OP
Jo Wo

Jo Wo

senior
Country
the lesson for me today was that the trip to the pharmacy and the short supermarket session put me at the same number of steps as I did all day yesterday. So I rested and iced all afternoon. I am using the fitbit data to keep myself from doing too much walking.

OP
OP
Jo Wo

Jo Wo

senior
Country
DAY30: Yesterday I did 6 sit to stands without using my arms. I think functionally am doing well, but my mental frustration has me a bit down. I wish I could spend more time doing normal activities even sitting at my desk. I am running out of tv distractions despite numerous streaming apps. I did some bedside watercolor on the walker tray. I will try to do more of that today, it's the best distraction.

Today will be my last day on aspirin anticlot therapy. I think I can take ibuprofen alternating with tylenol tomorrow. Maybe alternate every 4 hours. Has anyone else done this?

Arrangrl

Country
DAY30: Yesterday I did 6 sit to stands without using my arms. I think functionally am doing well, but my mental frustration has me a bit down. I wish I could spend more time doing normal activities even sitting at my desk. I am running out of tv distractions despite numerous streaming apps. I did some bedside watercolor on the walker tray. I will try to do more of that today, it's the best distraction.

Today will be my last day on aspirin anticlot therapy. I think I can take ibuprofen alternating with tylenol tomorrow. Maybe alternate every 4 hours. Has anyone else done this?
Morning Jo
Our journey seems to be very similar . I am increasing my PT this week on from 5 to 10 exercises but again I have to do this gradually . I’m feeling the same frustrations as yourself - getting fed up watching TV
And wishing my life was a bit more “ normal “ but then I remind myself this is a long process for a reason! Maybe we could video chat Jo ? Have that cuppa virtually !!
Hang in there :)
Jan x

OP
OP
Jo Wo

Jo Wo

senior
Country
DAY31: Today I am off the anticoagulation therapy, so I can alternate ibuprofen and tylenol, and take all my vitamins and supplements. Yesterday I walked down my 100 foot driveway and back up with my new trekking poles as part of my 10 minute walk. I felt fine!

I even worked through my tai chi form on a narrower stance, remembered most of the moves after many months.

was a bit restless and achey at night because I took less tylenol and didn't ice before bed.

This morning I probably walked longer than I should have, as I needed a glimpse of morning nature so my husband drove me over to the nature center, which felt so silly to us since we live across the street, but I would not be able to walk halfway to their entrance at this point.

I probably walked too far but I needed to be there for my mental health. I think that the coming months are going to be a series of choices and sometimes I will over do it because the cost is worth it. Other times I might feel like it's an activity I can decline without remorse. I am always conscious that it is far easier for me right now than for those who are on this journey while working or caring for family. I am also blessed to have a supportive spouse.

Sisterpat

Country
You are quite sensible about it Jo! Yes, we must all make the decisions right for us, taking into account the consequences of those decisions. Power on!

beesknee

Country
DAY30: I wish I could spend more time doing normal activities even sitting at my desk
This is the one that is killing me. I have run an online business from home for nearly 20 years so I can get lost for hours working at my desk. Even if I have nothing to do I still can kill some time screwing around.

I still can't sit in chair long with both legs on the ground without distracting pain. I moved our Poof under the desk and prop up on that but still not very comfortable and after an hour I had enough.

So now my big activity is hobbling from window to window and staring out wishing. I remember my dad doing the same thing when he was 90 years old.

Yesterday, my wife said why were you in the spare room? I said how did you you know? She said she followed the walker tracks into the vacuumed room. I said I just wanted to look out the window.

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Rosamund Doudna
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom