LTHR on September 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

truckinglady

Although I haven't been posting much, I have spent a lot of time reading posts and searching the library to educate myself. I have always felt knowledge is power.

September 6th is coming fast. Yesterday when I did my log I wrote 9/1/2012 and realized this is it...surgery month. It seemed so far away when I scheduled this in July. But here it is. 4 days to go. Pre-op is done and got some news that I didn't want to here from that. My nasal swab was positive for MRSA. Nurse called me the next day and told me to go to the drug store and get a script filled for mupirocin nasal ointment. I was to use that 2 times a day for 5 days before my surgery. Then I was to use Hibiclens for 5 days. I go back Tuesday and will be reswabbed. I asked nurse if that would take care of it and she said that it usually does. I asked her what if it didn't get rid of the colonization and she said they would still do surgery, but use different antibiotics. I can tell you it has made me real nervous. Have even thought about postpoing surgery till later. But in searching the net I have found the same recommendations that she told me.

I'm nervous and scared but as ready as I can be. Am looking forward to hearing from all the September Sapphires this month as they start their journey to pain-free living. Will take a while for all of us, but it will be worth it. Take care each and every one of you. And thanks for taking this journey with me!

Those nerves and worries are something we all experience. After all, this surgery is a big deal and it makes sense that a person would have at least some hesitation as the big day draws near. But....please try to keep things in perspective. It sounds like your medical team is really on top of things and that is great. Remember....it's a major life event for you, but it's just another day at the office for them. You are in excellent hands with a surgeon you trust. This is the way you will be able to reclaim the life you want.

Please post as often as you need to in order get questions or concerns addressed as soon as they pop up. I think you've done just the right thing by doing a lot of reading in these past months. You're so right that knowledge gives you power over your feelings.

My doctor had me use the hibiclens and the nasal ointment, as well as an anti-microbial mouthwash for a few days prior to surgery. However, it was done simply as a precaution....not because I tested positive for any gremlins. I think I would have taken it more seriously and been more diligent if he had explained that just in case I did have any MRSA lurking about anywhere in my body, this would protect me.

You know we all have staph and strep germs lurking in our cracks and crevices. Not to mention oodles of other not so well-known bugs. But our immune systems protect us, so we aren't constantly bombarded by infections. It stands to reason that many of us...maybe most....maybe all...have MRSA bugs among the rank and file. And again, for most of us, our immune systems can be counted on to protect us. But surgery makes us a bit more vulnerable, so I'm thinking that's why my surgeon has adopted this routine as a precaution. Some study must have shown that using the anti-microbials prior to surgery resulted in a decrease in MRSA infections in that particular hospital.

I think you can head in to surgery with no more than the usual bundle of worries. If your medical staff thought it was dangerous....to you, or others in the hospital.....they would make you postpone.

Good luck, Trucking Lady. We'll see you on the other side in a few days.
Sharon

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm just glad that I am using a os and hospital that believes in swabbing. I have seen in other posts that a lot of them don't do it. At least this way we know what we are dealing with going in. See you on the other side in a few days. Know I have a lot of hard work ahead of me, but I know it's going to be worth it! Melanie

Hi Melanie - welcome to the board. I'm having my hip done the day after you. I also tested positive for "staph" after my nasal swab and also started the nasal ointment and the special soap today and have to do it for 5 days. I'm very nervous too - but I know we will both be fine! Keep posting and I will too!! Best of luck.

Trucking Lady

Keeping my fingers crossed for a successful surgery and fast recovery for you!

Suki

Best of luck truckinglady.. I am sure you will be fine :)

Hi Chris...Yes, time is getting real close now. I am nervous, but I am looking forward to the day when there is no more pain. I'll be thinking of you on Friday as you go to surgery. (It may be a bit foggy with pain meds...LOL). And we will both do fine.

Melanie, what you are going through, we all went through who have had this procedure. My left was done in March and within 3 days I felt SO much better!

See you on the other side!

Melanie, what you are going through, we all went through who have had this procedure. My left was done in March and within 3 days I felt SO much better!

See you on the other side!
Thanks for the words of encourement. I know that I am going to feel so much better. My mother-in-law had hers done 7 years ago and says she wouldn't take a million dollars for it. My husband had his left knee done 2 years ago, and although he missed 8.5 months of work due to it getting infected and having to come out, he still says he would do it over again.

Good luck truckinglady!! Look forward to reading how you are going on the other side.

Thanks for caring. Will let you all know how it goes when I get back to my computer.

All the best tomorrow truckinglady! We will all be here anxiously awaiting your update! See you on the other side!

Good luck Melanie.. Next time we hear from you, we will be welcoming you into the Hippie Club.. :)

Good luck Truckinglady , no doubt you are feeling nervous at the moment but in a few weeks you willl be a new woman and it will be well worth it. Take care:happydance:

Thanks to everyone for their concern. It's great knowing that there are so many people that will be thinking and praying for me while I am in surgery and then starting the process of recovery. And please know that I will be thinking of those that are having surgery after me. I might not be completely lucid, but I am sure you will swim in and out of my thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
PBhips
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom