THR THR May Need Revision

Marygucci

Country
United States United States
Hello Everyone - I recently joined Bone Smart after coming to terms that both my right and left hips which were replaced 24 and 23 years ago in my mid-40's may need to be revised. The reason for my initial replacements was due to arterial necrosis in both. The medical team was not able to determine the cause of the necrosis but an MRI did uncover a healed fracture in my left hip. No idea when this happened but my theory is that my parents must have dropped me when I was an infant. :heehee:

The surgeon who did both surgeries over two decades ago did an anterior entry on both which he believed would give me a longer lasting result and I believe it did. At the time of the surgery he thought I would have 10-15 years before having to think about revision but as it turns out I have gotten much more time. I started to feel pain in the last few months in the same locations (primarily in the inner groin area) as well as what feels like my hips are "loose" and "slipping". Walking long distances with my dog, especially up and down hills, driving, climbing stairs, etc. is becoming more problematic. Even having my leg in the wrong position can cause pain.

Unfortunately the original surgeon retired almost 10 year ago and I had relocated back to the northeast where my husband and I originally came from. I had located a local orthopedic surgeon with a reputation for dealing with "problem" hip and knee replacements just for monitoring me. Since I wasn't presenting with any issues, he didn't see the need for me to come in annually. I did learn from this surgeon that the protheses that were used with me were ones surgeons in this part of the world had not used and if (and when) the time came, they would need to research how and what to do. I also learned that you stand a better chance of success if the surgeon you have brings significant experience in revision surgery. Of course when I called the practice recently to schedule an appointment I learned this surgeon had retired.

Rather than meet with another surgeon in the practice, decided to do my own research to locate a surgeon with lots of experience in doing revisions. One thing I discovered with medicine and healthcare is that physicians tend to refer to those who are within their network or "village", not necessarily the best. I live in a second/third tier metropolitan area in upstate NY, but not a major metropolitan area so finding an ortho surgeon with lots of revision experience is a challenge.

I discovered on the internet Medicare data that is maintained on physicians and how frequently they treat certain health issues or perform certain procedures. That includes not only hip and knee replacements, but also replacements of hip and knee replacements. With that information I found several physicians located in larger northeast cities who were reported as performing hip revision surgeries at a rate significantly higher than the average and placed them in the 99th percentile in their states compared to other ortho surgeons. (I am assuming lots of experience will make you better at what you do.) With that information, I selected and scheduled an appointment with a surgeon to get an initial evaluation and consultation. Luckily several years ago I was able to get copies of the operating records that were generated on both my hips so hopefully they will shed some light too. Depending on the diagnosis I will then make decisions on next steps. Although given the age of my protheses and myself turning 70 this year, its hard not to think that perhaps the time has come.

Not sure if anyone else on this forum has faced this situation, but appreciate being able to "vent". Would welcome any ideas on the kind of questions I should be asking, especially if I need a revision.

Hi and Welcome! Thanks for joining us.
I live in a second/third tier metropolitan area in upstate NY, but not a major metropolitan area so finding an ortho surgeon with lots of revision experience is a challenge.
Another consideration may be a consultation with HSS, Hospital for Special Surgery, which is the top rated orthopedic hospital in the country. They are located in NYC, with other east coast locations.
I believe Admin has within their resources a few OS recommendations for HSS, if interested. They also do online consultations for a fee.

I echo @Layla in saying you might want to visit the Hospital for Special Surgery. Dozens of excellent surgeons there. I had my second hip replacement there--and I traveled north from Pennsylvania. Lots of people from around New York state travel to HSS to get excellent care. Funny: My first surgeon, who worked in Pennsylvania when I had my surgery with him, is also now at HSS.

You can call the HSS switch board and ask for a recommendation for a revision surgeon or you can just choose multiple surgeons there and schedule appointments for each of them. It's not unusual for a person to visit multiple surgeons in the same practice--HSS surgeons understand that.

Last edited:
OMG, @Going4fun, was your surgeon Matthew Austin??? I’m thinking of using him, and have not been able to find anyone else who ever has. Please respond. I’d so appreciate talking to you!

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Plerea
Recent bookmarks
Back