THR LTHR and I'm a mess

jayemmeff

Country
United States United States
i’m really grateful for this forum. I read a lot, and have gotten a lot of information. But I just needed to post my own experience and the issues I'm having, sort of just to get it off my chest. Hopefully that is OK. And if anybody has had similar experiences, I’d love to hear that there’s a light at the end of the tunnel.

I’ve been suffering with an arthritic hip for three years, during which time I have not been able to walk normally, using a Rollator most of the time. Only within the last year did I find a pain clinic to help me manage the pain. and that hasn’t been easy, given the trouble that doctors have prescribing narcotics to people who actually need them.

In any event, I went into the surgery hoping to add some normalcy to my life. and I know that won’t happen immediately, but this is been horrendous. They were unable to manage my pain at the hospital, but elected to send me home anyway. I also could not make it to the bathroom, although I was able to use the commode. I also could not move my left leg hardly at all, and the right leg seems to have weakened quite a bit (from overuse, I’d imagine).

So now I am on day two of being home and unable to make it to the bathroom. I can barely get out of bed, and I can’t get back into bed without help. I do not have full-time help here, I live alone. I have someone who comes in the morning and the evenings, but if I get up in the middle of the night, or during the day, I’m by myself. And I can’t get back in the bed.

The pain meds they sent me home with are half the dose I'm used to taking (that prescription ran out the day I had my surgery, and they won’t refill it until the 18th).

So I’m doing a lot of crying, having many panic attacks, wondering why I did this.

I know I’ll probably look back at it and think it was just a blip, but right now it is overwhelming. And I just need somebody to tell me it’s gonna be OK.

Wow-I really feel for you. I had hip and back issues for several years before my surgery and the surgeon told me with my sciatica and issues it would not be a simple recovery. I have my son living with me and a couple of good friends stopping by but that first week was hell. My son had to lift my leg onto the bed the first couple of days and one night he didn’t hear me calling and it was a nightmare getting to potty and back into bed. Hopefully you have a bedside commode. I rented a hospital bed for 2 months. I am on day 24 now and walking with cane. Call your doc and see if u can get pain meds regulated. Keep us updated!’

Oh my, hang in there!! My first 2 weeks were tough and I slept in the recliner for 15 days. I couldn't lay flat without an anxiety attack, and I could not lift my leg either. Please keep icing as that helps a TON! I took Tylenol arthritis around the clock. I still take an aleve every morning and I'm 6 months out. It takes the edge off the muscle pain i'm still dealing with. I also cried and wondered why in the world I had done this. Just know this will take time and patience to heal from. I can now do most things, but some things will never be the same. I am able to walk a few miles a day...you will feel better before you know it. Sending you healing prayers!

@jayemmeff
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us!! :welome:
Sorry to hear you are having such a hard time in the first few days after your surgery.
Are you icing and elevating?
In addition to your pain meds are you taking Tylenol, (being sure to add up Tylenol from all sources for no more than 4000 mg per day.) Check with your MD to be sure it is ok to take.
Will you be having home health this coming week, they can help set you up with someone to teach you how to move around successfully.

Since you are alone, keep your phone handy at all times incase of an emergency, you will be able to call someone.

Call your surgeons office and take to the on call MD and see if they can address your under medication.

Please post your surgery date, a moderator will add it to your signature for you. Having the exact date will help us properly advise you. Thanks!

Here are the Hip Recovery Guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us! I do believe it will be okay. At only two days post op, it can feel overwhelming. I’m so sorry you’re struggling and in pain. :console2:

I’m sure spending the majority of the day alone and worrying about getting up to use the bathroom alone overnight, then facing difficulty getting back into bed has to feel very frustrating. Many sleep in a recliner initially. If you have one, I‘d suggest you try that.

If you’re able to enlist family, or a friend, to spend a few nights with you, consider that also. As the days go on you will become more comfortable and establish a routine. You will most likely be surprised at how much better you’re feeling even after the first week. Initially it does feel like a huge challenge, but it does get better.

You do need to get the pain under control, enough so that you’re comfortably mobile. You can call your surgeon‘s office and ask for suggestions on managing the pain until the 18th. Make use of ICE and ELEVATION as they both will help with pain. You can ice for as long as you want as long as you place fabric between the ice source and your leg. Ice any / all areas of discomfort and pain. There are articles explaining both in the Recovery Guidelines.

As far as getting into the bed, try placing a plastic trash bag close to the edge So you can sit on it and slowly get yourself into position on the bed, then remove it. You can use a regular belt or the belt from a bathrobe to lift your leg onto the bed. Try practicing this next time you have someone there with you.

I understand this is easier said than done, but try not to stress because it will get better. We’re here whenever you need us for advice, support or encouragement. So stop by whenever you’re feeling lonely.

Please leave the date of your Left THR surgery below so we can create a signature for you.
I hope tonight is peaceful and you’re able to get some restorative rest. :)

Thank you all. My surgery was 3/11/21.

I have been icing and elevating all along. I have an adjustable bed, which helps with that elevation. I have a big ice pack that I’ve got on my hip and butt, which is extremely sore. And then I have a second ice pack on my right leg, which is now pretty much numb from the hip to the thigh (that hip was replaced in 2016).

Unfortunately, the pain clinic will not listen to me when I talk about the need for my pain meds. I will try them again on Monday, but it’s really awful talking to them. They make you feel so less than. Like you’re a drug addict or something. All I want is for this pain to be relieved enough that I can move through it.

I have a finagled leg lifter (bathrobe tie), but the problem is that my good leg is not strong enough to lift onto the bed, and if I use the leg lifter on that leg I can’t get it onto my bad leg. It’s all a mess. I just screamed my way to the bathroom - I hope my tenants don’t call the cops…

I have a commode on order, hopefully arriving tomorrow.

Oh, and I have a recliner, but it's too low for me to get out of.

Oh, and another thing! The post-operative care is being managed via an app/website. There is no home health care, no PT, no one coming to the house. I can message my doctors through the app. But I'm basically on my own - info and exercise videos are posted for me to watch. (These covid times??)

Last edited:
Hello again,
If you’d like the day and month of your Right THR reflected in your signature, please share the info and we’ll add it. Thanks!
@jayemmeff

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
How are you doing since we last heard from you? Hopefully your recovery is going well and you’re enjoying steady progress. Please update if you can find the time, we’d love to hear from you. Enjoy the week!
@jayemmeff

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68