Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

I have no experince with IV pain meds at home. My best friend has issues with oral pain medications and has used a pain patch in the past. She also seems to do better with consuming a liquid rather than a pill and uses some sort of liquid when her pancreatitis acts up.
 
My only 'experience', if you can call it that, is with terminally ill patients or folk with severe pain issues such as #crps (click the hashtag link). I believe the main issue would be with the IV cannula which might get blocked or even infected. However, they do leave IVs in place for a while whilst treating per-prosthetic infections.
 
Thanks for the info. We have to get it figured out before I can even think about having a revision. I have no clue what we'll do, but my OS and I are trying to get it figured out. I'm waiting to hear back from him about this and a couple of other questions I have, so we shall see if he came up with a plan yet.
 
Would a pain management specialist be able to contribute anything helpful?
 
@Celle My OS went to a pain management conference with top specialists from Mayo, etc, recently, and part of what he was planning to do was speak to these experts about me. Unfortunately they had no info for him on pain med intolerance nor any new ideas.
 
Wow, I decided to read through my entire recovery thread.........if it wasn't mine I would have thought how awful it was for that poor person having to go through all that! But after reading every post and page, I realize I shouldn't have read through it just now as it's made me even more afraid for the revision that's coming.

Yes, I am having a revision, and it looks like it's going to be in April. My OS has come up with what he hopes is a pain management plan that will work. It won't be a fun time as it'll involve time in the ICU and a longer than usual hospital stay, but we're hoping to avoid the awful reactions of the past. My knee is no better, still swollen and painful, and, as my OS has said, "It's time to bite the bullet and just do it". I finally agreed as it is past time to put my fears aside and hope for the best outcome possible, and I am fully fed up. Am I scared? Yes, to death, but I'm more scared of having no life for the rest of my life. I've done no rafting, no walking, I can't ride a bike, I've passed on the cruises we want to take, etc, etc.

I don't have a date yet as the April schedule for my OS isn't out, but his scheduler called the other day and told me I'd be on the call list when the April schedule comes out. He isn't doing it sooner as we are in the midst of a bad flu season and he doesn't want me anywhere near the hospital until it's passed. Plus, he said it'd be awful to do my surgery, and then when it's done and I need to go to the ICU, have it full of flu patients and have no bed for me. (he's putting in an epidural during the surgery after I'm out for pain control after the surgery; or the anesthesia doc will actually do it I think, and their protocol is unfortunately that I have to be in ICU while it's in), he'll leave that in as long as possible, then change me to IV pain control for as long as it works. He wants to avoid oral pain meds as long as possible, if not totally.

If I do need to go home on an oral pain med, he will have orders in my chart that when I end up in the ER as I always seem to do, they are to call him. He will then re-admit me back into the hospital for IV pain control. If by some miracle I either don't need to use oral pain meds, or don't have a reaction to them (that'd be a miracle and a first), then we're good.

I don't know how long I'll be in the hospital, as I forgot to ask him and he didn't say, but it looks to be more than a few days. I'll post the surgery date when I know it, and will then have to start all the hassle of the pre-op prep. I really am sick of this knee and all I've had to go through, and am hoping and praying this time works and I get my life back. I've gained a ton of weight due to little activity, I'm bored out of my gourd most of my days, and am anxious to get back to normal and fun activities.
 
Kim, I am so sorry you have to go through this again. It sounds like your doctor has everything figured out and is willing to keep your pain down whatever it takes! You are blessed to have him!
 
@Pumpkln You are right.......but then, you always are....:flwrysmile: I'll try to get up there for a visit before the surgery. We have gone a couple of times but hubby always has things he wants us to do while there, so there's never time for a visit. I'm going to try to go by myself so we can visit, but I'm not holding my breath........:dubious:
 
Hi Kim, I started reading your epic recovery journey and then started skipping ahead ... I’m too impatient right now to read 69 pages ... lol!
Can I ask you a few questions? I had a TKR in February 2014. Short version of recovery - lots of pain, couldn’t get good ROM, had MUA, gained ROM but then lost it again, tons of PT for two years, Pain and swelling every day ...
I am so depressed and discouraged. It’s like what came first ... the chicken or the egg? Looking back over 4 years I see that I haven’t been myself since TKR. I just don’t feel good. Slightly “out of it”, you know? Seems like my immune system is shot ...
All those things can be caused by depression, I know. But maybe it’s the other way around!! Maybe I’m depressed because there is something wrong ... I just heard yesterday about nichol allergy ... maybe THAT’S what’s wrong!?
I’m making appointment with PCP ASAP.
Did your nichol allergy make you feel “sick”?
 
Hi Mary. I'm so sorry you're going through all that. I know how hard it is to finally agree to have a TKR, get your hopes up, see things get better as you begin to recover, then bam! things go backwards. It is depressing and frustrating.

I don't think it makes me feel sick; it just hurts, is swollen, etc. I do know I am tired a lot; I don't know if it's from my knee, my not sleeping well due to pain that wakes me often, or as a result of not a lot of activity, thus boredom and so on. My nickel allergy report came back as 5.0 reactive. Even though it wasn't highly reactive, it was still reactive. I knew I was allergic to nickel as earrings cause me problems pretty quickly unless they're surgical steel, so I wasn't surprised at the result. My OS has said that he doesn't know if it's the nickel or not as my reaction wasn't the highest, but over time he has ruled out basically everything else, so that leaves nickel as the only thing we haven't been able to rule in or out. He's going to do a revision with the Aesculap gold knee, and we hope that solves the issues. It took both of us a long time to get to the point of a revision as we are both afraid of the reactions I've had to pain meds so were hoping to avoid the revision, to no avail.

What part of California are you in? Do you have an OS currently? Have you seen him lately or spoken to him about the problems? I read your thread but don't remember the exact details.
 
Have you been tested for gold allergy, Kim? I ask because when I went to get tested for metal allergy, thinking I'd be allergic to nickel, if anything, I proved to be moderately reactive to... gold! Go figure, right? I wear gold jewelry without problem. Anyway, if you're getting a gold knee, it might pay to be sure gold is a good choice for you.
 
Looking at the mfg web site, it is ceramic with a gold color.
broken link removed: https://www.aesculapimplantsystems.com/products/orthopaedics/knee-arthroplasty/advanced-surface-technology/metal-ion-barrier
 
Do keep us informed of what happens with you.
 
I am still waiting for a surgery date. I really, really, really hope this time's the charm (I can't say third time's the charm since I've had way more than three knee surgeries over the last 10 or more years since I first injured it). I am so tired of fighting with this knee. I'm on it for just under an hour making dinner and it's so swollen that I am walking without being able to bend it very much. :hairpulling::gaah::hissy::tantrum2::censored:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom