Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

I just caught up from the beginning and I'm horrified and darned by your story. Has your OS told you why you had such horrible pain? Despite the way your knees were before, the TKR should have fixed that. 20 minutes for icing were for the non-temperature controlled I've packs so you didn't get Frost bit. The Berg polar cube, which was my post op gift from my OS, removes the time limit as it maintains the water at a constantly higher temperature than freezing. Mine was on all the time I was at the hospital, day and night. I sure hope your poison after all this time finally stops. You've been through a war! I'll check in from time to time as well. Feel MUCH better!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
OMG! :rotfl: My husband took a picture of all the staples in my knee, then photo-shopped a zipper over the staples!
:loll::heehee::rofsign:He says that way the doctor can get in there to fix it if anything goes wrong, or if he needs to change the batteries in my bionic knee. Yes, I married him on purpose....:rotfl:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery
Not much beats a great sense of humor----and laughter is good for the spirit while you're recovering.
 
Had a rough day today. Knee was swollen quite a bit. I need some ideas or advice on ways to keep the ice in one place all night so it doesn't slip away while I sleep. If you have any, please let me know.
 
You must be careful not to let the ice touch the skin also not having ice all night on the knee isn't good either. I found using the pads that can be fozen work better than ice. I'm talking about the beads that freeze. The ones I have I got from a message place and they stay cold for quite some time. I would wrap them around the knee. I wish I could find some way to ice while sewing. If I had know about the ice machine, I would of looked into it. Not saying I would get it but looked into it. I understand you need a person to help you with it. Remember to elevate. Take care. Tashia and the Kids.
 
Thanks, Tashia. I have been using the blue ice bags at night. They start cold, but don't stay icy cold long enough to burn my skin, plus I have a towel between it and my skin. My problem is the towel and ice slip off while I'm asleep and elevated (granted I sleep 2 hours at a time at most on a good night, but am drowsy and don't always remember to change the bags which are warmish by then). During the day I've been using cold bags of ice cubes for shorter times. So my knee was really hurting and swollen today. I need to figure out a better system for nights(actually I need to adopt someone elses' good idea) . I saw some kind of ice that looked like beads online, but it may take too long to get here, so I need to find it locally and send hubby after it, or just get other ideas working.
 
I have been realizing lately how blessed I am, even with having to go through all this. I have no worries about my health insurance as I have excellent coverage that covers basically everything. I didn't have to pay for the toilet commode (which also can be used as a bedside commode and a shower chair), the CPM machine, the home nursing care, the home PT, etc. I don't work outside my home so I haven't had to worry about dealing with bosses or companies for all the time required for this, my husband has more than enough leave time to take care of me for a couple of weeks or more if I need it, so I didn't have to try to manage alone which not only would have been overwhelming, but I really doubt I could have done it, and still can't yet. I found this wonderful site where I could get help, share ideas, cry, vent and learn about all aspects of TKRs. Thank-you so much everyone, for being a blessing in my life and the lives of others. Kim
 
Can you have your OS write a script for an ice machine? They even sell on amazon and are so worth it. If not I would wrap an ace bandage around the ice pack. Not too tight but enough to hold it. Let us know how you make out!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
Thanks, Jozilla. I will be speaking to my OS's nurse this am to get a prescription refilled, I'll ask her if they'll do an ice machine. I don't believe they do since they got me all kinds of stuff I never had to ask for, and I think they would have an ice machine also if it were covered. But, it never hurts to ask. I have seen some on Amazon, I just wasn't sure which one worked the best and if they were worth a couple hundred, or if the cheaper ones were complete or needed extra stuff. It seemed way overpriced for a cooler and a knee wrap basically. Hubby had thought about the ace bandage before but I was worried it would constrict even if he wrapped it loosely. I awoke just now from a decent sleep because my leg had another spasm, causing it to hurt and jump, waking me in the process. I really need more than little snatches of sleep between long stretches of awake...sigh.
 
I am also not sure on the ace bandage so see if you can tag someone. I have a Donjoy iceman classic. I loved it and used it for probably eight weeks all night long. I froze 16 oz water bottles instead if ice cubes and kept reusing them. Lots of members also use polar ice machine and love them. Good luck!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
I love my polar ice I got it on Amazon.
Temp control used to be poor, the units are better now. Glad to see I am not the only awake west coaster tonite. I overdid it yesterday :(.
Too much company for me. Today off to the OS 45 min each way. Will be glad when I get home.
Hope you get some rest.


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
 
You get some rest too, Pumpkin. I have a little bit busier day too what with my nurse coming, PT coming and teaching me to go up and down steps, waking to my phone call and talking to the nurse about the refill........etc etc. 45 minutes each way?ugh!
 
Sounds like we both have busy days, resting icing and elevating before we leave in about a half hour.
:hog: LOL, I will be in the side car, Screaming my head off.
 
I don't have to leave the house today as I'm still having everyone come out here. I think the nurse is finished with home visits today, but home PT has this week and next to go still, at least. I can't drive at least until after my 6 week check on May 28th, so I'm not sure how they do it. But I've asked them to schedule afternoons as it takes me all morning to get all the nighttime meds out of my system. In the sidecar? No way..........:rotfl:
 
Did you have enough stamina? That's my main problem-I tire way too soon. I got all 46 staples out today- OMG did it hurt! At least I could cry and yell into my own pillow.................She tried to be careful but it just hurt anyway. But the good news is my quads are back and good-I can lift my leg up all the way without any support and as high as my good leg. My bending ROM is 95-means nothing to me but she says it's great. And she said it was likely a little more but my strength was gone after the staples and walking outside in the 90 degree heat to the steps and learning how to go up and down so I had no strength to hold it. I'm done for the day. So what did your OS have to say? Are you using a walker, crutches or cane? Is everything looking good? Etc.....
 
Everything looks good, I use crutches outside of the house and up and down stairs (I have lots of practice starting in 1974 when I broke my leg), and use a walker in the home (I like that it stays where you put it, and you can use it to carry things). I told the OS I was conservative and would be using the walker for awhile, he said that would be fine, he rather people go slower and not rush healing.
He took off the steri strips, :yay:, I am glad to get rid of them.
Seem to have enough energy, I do spend a good deal of time resting.:elevate:
 
My OS wants me on the walker till 6 weeks but my PT is going to check with him and see if crutches or a cane would be okay; I think the OS'd rather I go slow also. I rest a lot too, but I don't do much actual sleeping. Maybe my lack of stamina has a lot to do with how little I've been doing the last year or so. How many days have you had the steri strips? I just got mine today. Did you have staples or that glue and dissolvable stitches? I'm going to ask the doc why he uses staples-it hurts way too much to remove them IMO. Lol-I type two words then fall asleep. I am beat. :sleeep:
 
I had both glue and staples, just had the steri strips for 5 days. I did not ask why :shrug:. My guess is the wound was not closing as well as he would like.
In US we keep steri strips on too long, can take weeks for them to fall off naturally, two weeks is probably OK. You can ask your OS when you see him next.
Your range of motion is right on track, you need to be able to bend your knee enough for walking, up and down stairs, bicycle riding, etc. No worries as we heal it increases all by itself.
 
Back
Top Bottom