Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

I have a Giraffe razor extension, works great, no bending over. IMO it does a better job than bending over.

Amazon product ASIN B00HXQP3VA
Be sure to use the Amazon Smile link in the rotating banner at the top of the page, a percentage of your purchase price will support BoneSmart.
 
@Pumpkln I've seen those on Amazon, but my shower is really small, and it's difficult to shave my legs in there. I can use the shower in the other bathroom, but because hubby uses that one, I don't like to as it's never as clean as I like. :heehee: I did sit on the tub to shave, and thought about an extender for that to reach the backs, then promptly forgot about it when I was done shaving....:rotfl: Senior moment.......I'll order one today for next time. Thanks!
 
@Pumpkln I just bought it and it'll be here Tuesday. Thanks for reminding me! (and yes, I bought it through Amazon Smile-Amazon reminds me to switch it every time I go to the site now, since I started using it a short time ago) :)
 
I took my first trip to the warehouse store today; my knee is great as I used an electric cart, but I am beat. Although I mostly kept my knee stretched out in the cart, I was able to sit comfortably with it bent straight down part of the time without even realizing it. But I did stretch it back out whenever I noticed as I don't want to leave it straight down for long yet. My husband just told me I'm obviously done for the day, and I agree. But it was nice to get out and all I had to do was ride through the store, avoid running into people with the cart, which isn't easy on a Saturday, point at things and hubby did all the work. I will have to vacuum seal some things but they can stay in the fridge until tonight or tomorrow when I get my energy back.
 
That thing is ingenious! I’m ordering one soon. It’s not easy to put one leg up on bath tub to shave. Balance isn’t great and both knees tend to wobble.
 
I just finished putting away the groceries we bought last night, (yep, we did the second half of the monthly grocery shop last night) and did a little straightening around the house. Just that little bit tires me out and I'm ready for a nICE long rest. Unfortunately that'll have to wait until after the HVAC guy comes and checks on our a/c. It's working fine, but we think that the duct may have a hole as it's spitting out dust in one bedroom, so they're coming to look at it to see what's up. I'm able to do more each day, but the energy drain still hits. I'm also walking better, but my extension needs to get better before I can lose the limp. I also notice after a while my thigh gets tired and feels weak, so I have to take breaks when it gets to that point. I've also started doing some sewing again, and so far have been able to sit and sew for a while before having to get my knee back up. I'm not doing any major cooking yet, as standing and moving around the kitchen is still a bit difficult, but I am managing simple meals most nights. All in all, I'm doing very well; much better overall than four years ago, but I still have a long road ahead before I can say I'm recovered and ready to roll. :bicycle1:
 
My granddaughter's birthday was yesterday, but her party is Saturday. I told her last night I may not be able to attend, and she gave me a hug and said, "Couldn't you go and just sit the whole time? I'll even bring you your food". Talk about melting a grandma's heart. The problem is they're not having it at their house this year, they're having it at John's Incredible Pizza. Ugh. On the best of days that place gives me a migraine, but right now I'm afraid I'll have to leave after ten minutes of the noise and confusion of that place. But you know I'm going; who could resist their granddaughter's pleas and big blue eyes? :loveshwr: I think I'll ice my knee all day, then take some OTC pain relief just before leaving. And when I get home I'll retire with my ice machine for the night. :ice:
 
Yes, if my almost 9 year old granddaughter said that to me, I’d be there! (much as I despise those noisy places even when I’m not in early recovery!)

I’ll be seeing my granddaughter in 3 days!!!:roseshwr:
She lives 9 hours away from me.
 
That'll be lovely for you @Jockette. My two Grandsons 'helped' me with the shopping today! It cost a fortune with all the little extras they popped in my trolley. Lovely funny wee boys but, somehow, I really appreciate the peace and quiet when they go home! I know I'm very lucky that they live so near and I see a lot of them.
 
@Jockette That'll be a nice visit for you. I'm betting you are counting down the hours. We have 10 grandchildren and soon will have another great-grandchild, and only two of them live close by.
 
I forgot to mention that I finally decided to do the walk down my driveway to my mailbox yesterday. I've put it off as it was difficult going down the driveway before the surgery, so I wasn't ready to try it until yesterday. Uphill has always been relatively easy, but downhill and I haven't gotten along in years. My OS explained to me why that is some time ago, but I forget exactly what he said. Anyway, not only did I make it, it was easier than it has been in years to go down the driveway. Granted, I still limp, and so I got the cane out of the car to use for the short walk, but it was still easier. Uphill I used the strap on the cane to just carry it as I didn't need it for the uphill part, and my hands were occupied with the mail. The next hurdle will likely be stairs, but I'm not ready to try those yet. I can go up and down them, but not in the proper way; I still go up and down like a toddler, but hope I can soon navigate stairs like an adult. It's been years since I could do that, other than a very short window of time after my first TKR before things went downhill (pun intended).
 
It will be seven weeks tomorrow and I've jumped over another hurdle these past few days. I have taken back my kitchen and am making dinner again! :yay: Hubby still does the dishes :yay::yay::yay:as that's past my daily limit, but dinner I am doing again. They're not fancy meals, but it's another big step. I made burgers and fries, plus cantaloupe from our garden, on Tuesday; last night I made BBQ pulled pork sandwiches topped with homemade coleslaw, pickles and garden tomatoes plus fresh corn on the cob, baked beans and a zucchini from our garden I marinated and grilled (not knowing hubby was bringing the corn home). Tonight we'll have leftover BBQ pork sandwiches along with some roasted beets from our garden, the rest of the baked beans and more tomatoes. And it's easier than it sounds as the burger patties were from my pre-made freezer stash so all I had to do was grill them, the smoked pulled pork I also made before my surgery and froze, and so on. For me it's easy as most of the meals were from items I pre-made, or were bottled, canned, etc, and as I usually do everything from scratch, to me this is easy.
 
@lovetocookandsew, that sound wonderful! So glad you are doing well. I am trying to think ahead knowing my revision will most likely be in October. Could you give me the exact name of your ice machine and where to purchase it?
 
I have the DonJoy Iceman Clear. You can look online for it, but I got mine from my hospital. There are some places that sell it, if you decide on this one. You may even be able to buy it from the company directly. Plus there are a few other brands that are electric that people here have mentioned. My only suggestions are to make sure to avoid any with lame 30 minute timers unless they also have a continuous setting option-resetting every 30 minutes in the day time would make me crazy, not to mention the nighttime! And get the universal wrap if you get the one I have, not the knee wrap, as it only covers half your knee area. The universal isn't perfect, but it's better by far than their knee wrap.
 
I'm going to the birthday party in a few hours; I'm looking forward to being there for my granddaughter, but not looking forward to the place and the noise of a 9 year old's party, nor is my knee looking forward to all that's involved. We shall see how it goes.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom