Guest viewing is limited

Revision THR Loose stem revision

So been a bit distracted. When I came round from surgery, I was seeing weird coloured spots in my eyes, even when they were closed. This was particularly noticeable in one eye. The colours disappeared after a few hours. Then back home I realised how hard it was to read. I found letters and words seemed to jump around and disappear. Well, having been for an extensive set of testing, it seems that I suffered loss of oxygen to my eye during surgery and have experienced permanent vision loss.
I feel gutted. Cried myself to sleep last night.
Apparently I'm still legal to drive, so I should feel grateful as things could be so much worse, but I'm still angry and upset, especially coming on top of two sets of surgery six months apart. Eye specialist said the eye wasn't sufficiently protected and he has seen cases where people completely lost vision.
 
Oh no, @Margie10, I'd be terribly angry and upset as well. So sorry you have that on top of healing from surgery!
 
Oh Margie! That's inexcusable. I don't blame you for being angry and upset. I would be too.
 
Thank you :bawl:I am having a "pity party" sorry! Just want a heads up to people do they know about this. If you have surgery where you are on your stomach and your face is to one side, there can be compression and loss of blood/oxygen to the eye. Ask how they plan to do the surgery!
 
Oh no that’s dreadful. You have every right to be angry and upset. I hope when you feel ready to you are able to address this further with the hospital/surgeon. I know that this won’t help you but it may help to prevent this happening to others :flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
 
Oh my stars Margie.
That is terrible news, so unfair.
Hugs for you:console2:
 
Dear Margie, I'm so very sorry.
My heart goes out to you. I'm sure you do feel gutted, frightened, angry and confused.
With all of the things we worry about pre-op I've never heard of anyone even giving this consideration.
I know this isn't much consolation now but after what the eye specialist shared, thankfully you didn't suffer complete loss of vision. Wondering if there's any hope that your vision could improve or be restored...
Prayers for comfort and peace of mind as you adjust to all.
Hugs
@Margie10
 
Margie, I'm so sorry to hear you have had this problem following your surgery. I know you must feel very vulnerable right now and please know that we're here for you!

Are you saying your hip revision was done with you lying on your stomach on the operating table? If that's the case, it's certainly not the norm and I would question why the surgeon would do that.
 
Thanks Jamie I will ask these questions. ive left messages with everyone and I am waiting for them to get back to me.
 
@Margie10
What devastating news! Is there a possibility of a second opinion?
My kids both have issues with their retinas and both see a retina specialist.
Their symptoms are what you described .
They have both had to have several laser treatments which has helped and must see
this doc every six months.
Hope you get more positive answers.
Also not to forget about your surgery, are you holding up as far as the dizziness and pain issues?
 
Hi Jaimie I've had a few answers and you were right, I wasn't lying on my stomach. Current thinking is that it was because my blood pressure was so excessively low so oxygen didn't get to my eyes. Still waiting on the diagnosis.
My hip is still pretty sore, but I had to sit for 3 hours on tiny stools having my eyes tested, constantly getting up and down off them, which was a killer! it's strange as it almost feels like I'm getting shin splints, I have pain in my lower leg. Not sure if it's just referred pain or something as I had a cemented stem.
@BeBe what were the problems with your kids? That's a worry when they are so young. Is it a retinal tear as that can be fixed by laser? I've been told blood capilleries have died so some retinal cells died and they can't rejuvenate. Only thing is my brain can slightly "rewire" to compensate by using vision from my good eye, like people with cataracts can have one lens for short vision and one lens for long vision.
 
@Margie10
It's called retinal lattice degeneration, not uncommon, but more common in people with extreme nearsightedness which my kids have. Both kids were diagnosed late teens early twenties, they had both had some flashes but this was found during a retinal scan with our ophthalmologist.
There can be retinal detachment which the laser mends; both of my kids have had partial detachments. Apparently this can be a somewhat "sleeper" as you may or may not get symptoms but the symptoms are
Similar to what you described.
 
Omigosh @BeBe thats terrible! Have they lost a lot of vision? Will it continue to deteriorate or has it stopped now!
 
I wasn't lying on my stomach. Current thinking is that it was because my blood pressure was so excessively low so oxygen didn't get to my eyes
That sounds like a more reasonable explanation.
I had to sit for 3 hours on tiny stools having my eyes tested, constantly getting up and down off them, which was a killer! It's strange as it almost feels like I'm getting shin splints, I have pain in my lower leg. Not sure if it's just referred pain or something as I had a cemented stem.
You will possibly have shin splints as you're not even 3 weeks out yet. Have a cemented stem has nothing to do with it.
 
@Margie10
Oh no they are fine vision wise, both have glasses. Both have to watch for increased flashes, they have some pinpoint things but that is what they have as their new normal. Son has worse, they have to watch for any changes. But both are not suffering any permanent loss of vision. They have to follow up twice a year with the retinal doc. We are fortunate to be close to Wills Eye Institute in Philadelphia, they have a great specialist.
Wishing you the best going forward and hope you get some answers. Our bodies have remarkable abilities to recover and compensate.
Hoping your new hip is settling in and your recovery gets back on track!
 
I've heard of some folks that have had eye issues after surgery, but most all were temporary.
I hope you get some improvement...
Hate you have to deal with this on top of surgery recovery.
Hugs coming your way:console2:
 
Thanks @Mojo333 my hip is going really well now actually, which is an enormous relief.

My eyes aren't improving and concensus amongst amongst the retinal specialists is that cells died and won't regenerate. My right eye has hardly any vision at all. I'm devastated as I am out and about more and realise I can't read road signs or recognise people's faces from a distance.

I'm also wanting answers and can't get them, it feels like the medical profession is sweeping it under the carpet hoping I'll just go away. I want to know what caused it in case I have more surgery down the track. I'm scared I wake up blind next time. Were there particular risk factors I had? What happened in surgery that caused it? And all they will say is it's never happened before, and they have never known anyone experience it, as if I'm lying about what happened. Which makes me even more upset.
 
You certainly have a right to have answers as to how/why this happened.
Thank goodness your hip is doing well. I'm so proud for that!
I should guess that if you are suspecting negligence of any sort perhaps someone in the legal profession could help you get answers? For better or worse, the US is quite I litigious country who would be all over it!
Quite awful that no-one would guess a surgery on their hips would have a risk to their eyesight.
Sending hugs and hopping you get answers, dear Margie.
 
I'm so very sorry, Margie
I can understand the devastation you must feel.
You do need to get to the bottom of this for multiple reasons.
The first being some peace of mind and reassurance any additional surgeries
will not result in further damage.
Offering prayers for physical / emotional healing and clear direction on how to proceed.
Hugs to you :console2:please know we're here for you.
@Margie10
 
Remember Margie, if they say it was caused by low blood pressure, it was the Docs job to monitor blood pressure and make sure there were no adverse effects. It’s a reason not an excuse.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom