Guest viewing is limited

Revision THR Looks like maybe a revision will be needed...

Hi @chalcedonian1. I haven’t had your experience, but I did get nerves before my second hip replacement worrying that I would have problems I didn’t have with the first. There are several successful revision threads on the site so try to take heart from that.

You mentioned the toilet riser. I got one off Amazon on a frame that has the removable pot. Since I live by myself that gave me the option of having a potty close to where I was sleeping (never had to use that option). Pot is removable and the frame sits over toilet. I found the arms to be helpful. You can adjust height, and it is easily moved out of the way if others need to use facilities.

Good luck with your preparations.
 
I wondered before if I didn't do enough walking, or maybe I did too much walking, and/or could I have done something to make myself better, did I do something to make myself worse (because this time around I will do WHATEVER it takes), yet it seems like I don't have control over this part either
chalcedonian, trying to fathom that is a slow way to insanity! If the surgeons don't know, how can you possibly know? It's a mystery so leave it at that. There was certainly nothing you did to cause it and nothing you could do to prevent it.
 
@Josephine I found the quick way to insanity a long time ago...so don't need the slow way! It would be nice to have more research in this area, for sure. I do re-read your posts earlier on in my thread about how the revision surgery may be harder on the surgeon, but it isn't anything I will necessarily know about when I wake up. At least I have gone from (months ago) being terrified to kind of an acceptance, to now being very nervous, but hoping to rein it all in by the eve of surgery and give way to a full acceptance of the process. I hope this surgery will allow me to be able to walk somewhat/more pain free again. I know there are success stories with revisions, just am struggling to get into this mind set at the moment.
 
Well, I just received an invite to a wedding on September 1st. It might be something nice to look forward to, though I wasn't expecting to be "social" quite this soon, and I don't have to say "yes", though I would like to go. The location will be a 5+ hour car ride from where I live and obviously we will stay over. I know to stop every hour or so, get out and walk and stretch during the ride (my husband will be driving), but I am curious to hear what people think about stamina levels and ability to stay focused and/or comfortable for the periods of time that will be involved during the wedding and reception, etc. I honestly do not remember how I was from my first surgery, except for an extremely painful period where my sciatica would burn and throb at about the 2 month period, especially when I was driving (which lasted a couple of months and thankfully then resolved). My first THR was anterior, this will be posterior lateral. Thanks for any advice you can give me.
 
Hi @chalcedonian1
I like your new avatar!
It's nice you have something to look forward to in the September wedding.
The five hour car ride sounds daunting to me. I had difficulty riding in a car beyond 30-45 minutes in those early weeks. If I was stuck longer than that I was jiggling around and felt as though I was being punished. Frequent stops would be a must in my opinion.

I don't recall feeling overly fatigued at two months out, but we all heal differently. If you set that (wedding) as a goal I'd make sure that I didn't do anything to land myself in the ODIC in the early weeks leading up to the date. I wish @zinnia would weigh in because she did both a flight and a lengthy car ride early on. Hopefully she sees the tag. She hasn't been around much lately and I only hope that's a positive sign.

Wish you comfort and peace as you await July 3rd!
 
@Layla Thanks-- the new avatar is for all of us-- a 4 leaf clover for great good luck, it can't hurt!

Yes, we would definitely stop A LOT. We have a comfy SUV, but I know that just jiggling around as you said can be punishing. We would leave the day before the wedding and spend all day getting there if need be. The wedding is for the son of a colleague who has been very good to me.

Do you remember if you were using a cane at that point?

I too am looking for @zinnia -- she was so wonderful to me when I first learned about needing a revision. I hope she is able to scoot on to the site now and again. I remember her experiences with overdoing it, and that is why I am seeking other people's opinions about attending this wedding. It still is possible to decline, so that is what I am weighing right now.
 
Hi again,
I used a walker for the first 11-12 days, then a cane for about a week. Walking unassisted at approx 3 weeks. Brought my cane with as security just in case....this was all new to me.
I know you realize we can't compare recoveries for many reasons. Mainly, the condition we came to the party in. I lucked out and had a good recovery. I'm thankful. I know I will need my other hip replaced one day and can't possibly match my first recovery. That thought troubles me if I dwell on it, so I don't.

With that said, many use assistive devices for longer periods, there's no shame in that. It doesn't mean any less of an end result. That's what matters, the final destination, even if it takes a bit longer to arrive.

Excited for you to move forward! Hope today is good!
@chalcedonian1
 
@chalcedonian1 , I took a trip at about the 10 week post-op timeframe and recall doing much better than expected. The trip involved a 45 min ride to the airport, a 3 hour plane trip (6'4" in economy seats), and a lot of walking in the terminal at the destination airport. I was still using my cane at the time and carrying a back pack. I recall being uncomfortable and in moderate pain for some, but not all of the trip. I took my time walking and sat and to rest frequently. The trade-off of moderate, periodic pain was well worth the re-invigoration and joy I felt at getting out and participating in life again. The discomfort was temporary, but the enjoyment sustained me far longer. Of course everybody heals differently, and mine was not a revision surgery.
 
@TerryB_TX Wow, wrapping your 6'4" frame in an economy seat after hip surgery is no mean feat-- I hate economy seating, always ask/pay for upgrades to aisle seating so I can stick my let out straight-ish or to areas with a bit more room since hip surgery. Still, never really comfortable.

I love your comment about re-invigoration and joy in participating in life again. I need that, eventually. It took a long time to figure out how not to limp, though with great effort and pain, how to lift my operated leg independently, etc etc and I guess it will take the same time again, but I do need to get out and about and not be circumscribed to just familiar surroundings. I didn't anticipate doing something like a wedding at just 8 weeks; unless people here tell me I am crazy, I am leaning towards doing it, but very very carefully and slowly...
 
Okay, first things first, @chalcedonian1. Calm down. . .I mean really calm down. Take a deep breath. Yes, there is reason to be anxious. It is surgery after all and a surgery to correct the surgery before it. . .revision. But as usual you are over intellectualizing this. It is an organic event; by that I mean it has a bit of a life of it's own which you can not control. You have to drop that wheel you are hanging on to because you are not driving this bus! Hopefully you already trust your surgeon. You are putting yourself in his hands. Now, with all your might, think ahead to recovery and put yourself there. You are not in charge of this part any more. You've done what you can do. But you are in charge of your recovery. You did nothing wrong to cause the bone not to heal into and around the replacement. . .not one thing. That is not your area, that is the surgeon's. In my case, the original surgeon did not set the acetabular cup close enough or at the correct angle to the pelvic bone so it could grow into the cup's texture so it never stabilized. He relied too much on screws to set it all. But. . .there was bone in growth in the femur so no revision necessary there. That tells me that there is nothing wrong with my body's ability to grow bone when the situation is well managed. So your surgeon's job is to revise and he will. Your job is to recovery. Look to that and know you did nothing, absolutely nothing, to cause a revision to be necessary. Not necessary to continue to question yourself.
I would advise a toilet chair, though. You will use one in the hospital; I did and it is very helpful especially in the early days when sitting and standing may be difficult and even painful to manage. I used mine for quite some time after I got home and sometimes wish those public toilets (even in the handicapped stalls?) were not so darn low. And constipation is always a trial for me too. Starting Colace is a good idea; they will probably start you on it in the hospital, they did me. If they don't, ask for the help. In fact, they didn't let me go until I started the process again before I went home. But I stayed longer than usual this last time because of blood work and fear of infection.
So, I think you are ready for this. I am happy for you. You've come a very long way and it hasn't been easy and it won't be easy ahead either. But it may be easier than you think. Be kind to yourself; it doesn't help to always be looking for a reason for what happens to us in this life. Sometimes there are no answers. . .just questions. I think I learned that in a Philosophy class!. Especially hard on yourself. You've done nothing wrong. Believe me.
So next week then. Yeah. You'll see, it is another surgery but it is just another surgery, not necessarily worse than the primary. Not a promise, but an experienced claim and I've had it both ways. My first revision was the worst; the second quite good and if it hadn't been for all the tissue damage it would have stopped there. But the third not worst than the first two, just about the same as the second. . .different surgeon made all the difference for me. I'm thinking you will be just fine and once you start recovery going in the right direction you will have your feet under you and you'll be gangbusters! :wowspring:
 
Just read yours about the wedding @chalcedonian1. Sounds lovely and exciting and frankly it may be possible for you to manage especially if you get out every hour and do the Chinese shuffle. The difficulty I had was keeping my legs lifted while in the car. . .not easy. Easier in a van and maybe manageable if you can push your seat way back. I did stuff pillows under my legs so they weren't dragged down toward the floor. I found that very uncomfortable but I had no problem with the 5 hours. My car trip was 6 wks post op and my stamina was good. I managed the whole day of festivities. But don't push yourself and take chances to sit; lots of sitting. I have to admit the weekend as a whole was stressful but if it's worth it to you, I think you can do it if you are careful not to push yourself.

I used the walker for about a week and then graduated to the cane which I am still on. And I have a rolator walker I use around the house pretty often because I can sit on it, store things in it and carry things on it when I am cooking or straightening here and there. Especially like it when washing and drying clothes. . .great help.

Because of all my difficulties and long time since I have walked on my own I may never walk again like a normal person but I won't stop trying. Ever.
You are doing great. Keep up the good work. July the 3rd. :yes!:
 
Thanks @zinnia for your words. I will go to that wedding and make sure I have time to recuperate when I get back home after it is over. I will only be gone for two nights I think. If pushing my front seat back and down doesn't work well enough, maybe I could switch to the back, and put my legs horizontally on the back seat. Or put pillows under my legs in the front seat with a little stool for them to rest on so they aren't free swinging. By 8 weeks I will be stir crazy I am sure.

And thank you for your words about giving up the need to feel in control, or to delude myself I have any control at this late date. I do have trust in my surgeon, he is at a hospital that is viewed nationally as one of the top orthopedic hospitals in the country. He has done complex revisions and seems to enjoy his work to the extent he can make people's lives better. Can't ask for more than that. It is hard for me to imagine feeling better right after surgery, I didn't experience that with my first hip for sure, BUT I WELCOME THE FEELING if it happens!

I cleared with the doctor's office cutting back to pretty much liquids a few days before the surgery. I just can't go through what happened the last time, I was completely unaware of this side effect, and with Colace I can make a fresh start as it were when I do eat in the hospital. I will order a toilet riser off of Amazon, I have fluctuated back and forth on this, the nurse said I will not have 90 degree restrictions, and I could always buy it at the hospital on check out, but I would rather have that done before I leave. I did not use one the last time, but I had the anterior approach. Better to not have to struggle if not necessary. Thanks for that advice.

So far as the advice about not always asking why things happen: yes, it is at times somewhat of a character flaw in me, I am endlessly curious and always like to better my situation if there is a chance to do so, but sometimes I do go far in this process! I ask a lot of questions, as in a lot, and don't take much at face value in anything in life until I feel I know enough to make a reasoned decision. I research things as thoroughly as I can, not to say I can't be spontaneous, or sometimes even impulsive. Staying on top of facts and issues has allowed me to have a really good life and has avoided a number of potentially disastrous mishaps for myself and my loved ones. I had lymphoma in the early 90s--there is no answer for why. I have suffered from a lung condition, etiology unknown--no answer as to why. I have soldiered through these issues , and countless others to numerous to mention here, and come out the other side, so if I could have discovered earlier on what was the cause of my failure to grow bone, it might have made my second surgery better. Not having answers is not necessarily a new position for me to be in, but one which I will only succumb to after being sure there is NOTHING out there which could be dispositive about the cause. I am now so convinced, and just need to have faith in the process of the revision as it is out of my hands.

I had a good night's sleep last night and feel better today. My week will be busy, and I don't like spending time feeling sorry for myself, so I think it will be a good week. I just need some positive reinforcement from time to time from all the good people here who have walked in my shoes. I am getting mentally stronger for sure, and finding that badge of courage I misplaced temporarily a few days ago...
 
Hi @chalcedonian1, I don't have much to add to the counsel you have already received here, other than to say I have been in your shoes, including trying to figure out "why" my original replacement and first revision failed. When I was finally able to let that futile quest go (it was a dark and painful place I couldn't allow myself to stay in) I was able to move forward. I am not comfortable with ambiguity, but I was seeking a "yes" or "no" answer to a situation that, for me, had many shades of gray. But my second revision was a success (it took me through 20+ years) and I am doing well after my third. It required a leap of faith, and the revision was a solution to a problem, not the problem itself.

Best wishes to you as your surgery date nears. It is quite likely that you will feel a difference, and feel better, right away.
 
Gracious me, I have led you astray @chalcedonian1. . .my reference is to intuition. I believe in intuition; knowing in a moment of mindfulness the answer. Not to say it is not balanced by research; I do piles and piles of it. But jotting down my first impression to refer to has been a process of problem solving for me. So we are on the same page with that. I also want to know all I can know about something that is puzzling to me, always keeping my intuitive response handy as a reference. Of course, there are certain problems that can't be addressed with intuition alone, problems that have nuts and bolts to arrange in the right order. But there is almost always a philosophical bit in any problem and that is where intuition comes in. It's kind of like a fork in the road and you have to invent the map.

I forgot to mention protein in terms of healing and producing bone in growth. Not that that was your problem but general healing requires protein and I don't mean red meat. I use a high protein smoothie or shake as proper healing did not take place because the tissues, et al, had suffered a great deal of trauma with the previous surgeries. Protein was ordered by my surgeon at every meal and I added magnesium as well. I use a whey or soy powdered protein or a combo of the two for at least one meal. I make it a fruit smoothie because I'm not especially fond of veggie ones. And a whole lot of Greek yogurt in there too. Just thought I'd throw that in there about protein. Done a whole lot of research about a proper diet following replacement surgery; very important for revision recovery I think.

But, as I said, you've got your head on straight. Just stay calm and relaxed and take care of your recovery. Have a fine time of it at the wedding. Forgive yourself an occasion mess up and you'll be going all sorts of places. Use the Bone Smart schedule for the first 8 weeks. . .it's a good guide for a recovery. I have fallen down on the job myself. . .too much traveling this spring. But I will be settling into a more active at home routine now.

Rock on, @chalcedonian1; you are going to do splendidly!
 
I hope you know what a host of folk here are sending all the best for a wonderful outcome this time.
It sounds like you have already had your share of bad fortune with health issues so I can see how your badge of courage might get tarnished a bit... It is hard being strong ALL the time.
I add my voice to the chorus around you...we all want the best for you.:friends:
 
Thanks to all of you! I really appreciate every word, every thought.

@zinnia I don't think you misled me at all, but I do appreciate your explication very much. Intuition in this process for me has been a bit tricky, as I said before I didn't trust myself early on to make a good choice in a revision surgeon as the first implant failed and I thought that surgeon was just great, given my fairly uneventful recovery (but then...). I have gotten beyond that now, as I must. And thank you for the tip on protein, and yes, of course I have several tabs open right now on my computer about post surgery diet! I intend to fortify every day with a protein shake. Do you know how many grams of protein you get approximately from your smoothie, or can you remember how much your dr. told you needed each day? I have investigated this a lot (no surprise there) and know that healing well is dependent on one's intake of protein/veggies/fruits/vitamins/calcium etc. I have noticed others talking about magnesium: what form did you use, was it a vitamin pill? I take extra Vit, D and I know magnesium helps absorb the Vit. D too, and is good for sleep supposedly. I will do that too, thank you for that. And your calming words are much appreciated and mean everything to me.

@Gypsy, your lips to God's ears that I will feel a difference--I am so yearning for this to happen. Thank you for your comments about letting go of the dark place, I think that expresses the stages I have gone through beautifully. @Layla Every hug helps, keep them coming. @Mojo333 Yes, I have had my share of health issues but I am here, still going forward and consider myself overall to be a very lucky person living a lucky life. You are just so kind to truly want the best for me, in fact so many here have been nothing but kind when I needed it. It is so appreciated. THANK YOU ALL!!!
 
As far as protein goes, I think I was taking in 80 - 125 grams a day in various forms. I got a heavy dose from my shake because I started with a cup of Greek yogurt, added a cup of 2% milk, fruit of the day, ice and the protein powder. The magnesium is in a pill and I take it with my calcium and vit. D., usually. Been slacking on those too and on the protein. You're an inspiration for me @chalcedonian1. Hang on. Your day is coming soon and before you know it you'll be on the other side and on your way.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom