Revision THR Looks like maybe a revision will be needed...

@Hipster63 , I also took Chalcedonian1's advice and purchased the Ossur Cold Therapy unit. I've been using mine 24/7 since my surgery. A tip I read somewhere on this forum that I found useful is to fill the cooler not with ice, but with frozen water bottles. I use five or six 12 oz bottles at a time. Much easier than ice water to change out. While 5 are cooling my hip, 10 others are re-freezing in the freezer. Without the bottles. my refrigerator's ice machine could never keep up with my rate of consumption.
 
@TerryB_TX Ah - just saw this. Great!! I just received my unit yesterday. I will unpack it and check it out. I'd love to use it at the hospital but that would be rather inconvenient. Thanks for the bottle tip!
 
Hi, sweet lady :hi:
I love reading your updates and learning of your progress.
After all you've experienced things are looking up. I see a bright future on the horizon.
May it only get better!
@chalcedonian1
 
:wave: @chalcedonian1
Have missed you and only hope that means you have been doing well and catching up on life instead of "all things hips"
Pop in when possible and give us some good news.:roseshwr:
 
Wow! It has been a long time since we've had an update from you.
Three and a half months post op already.
I've noticed the kind support and encouragement you've offered TerryB TX
I hope all is going well and you are enjoying life.
Leave us an update if you have time. Would love to hear of your progress.
Hugs
@chalcedonian1
 
:wave:Hope all is well in your world!
If you pop in, do let us know.
Still sending positive thoughts :)
 
Layla, Mojo333, TerryB_TX Here I am! Life has been very busy here, and I have been thrown into it full throttle. Sorry to have been off the boards with no responses to anyone.

I just saw my revision surgeon a day ago, new xrays were taken and my revision is rock solid. The bone is doing what it is supposed to be doing, the surgeon couldn't be more pleased, nor could I. I am walking with no limp and hardly ever have any hip/thigh pain. I walk up stairs without using my arms or hands, leg over leg.

I can still feel that my operated (right) leg is weaker than my left leg and needs strengthening. Pain occasionally comes when I do a lot in a day, but it not the kind of pain I had before with the loose implant, and goes away after I rest. My scar does occasionally "pinch" or tighten and burn a little when I sit, but that is just tissue pain which will dissipate eventually, so no big deal. I am getting more comfortable when I sit for periods of time, still not quite fully comfortable but that is no big deal either. I also can drive for long periods of time without any pain.

I am now fully cleared to go back to the gym. The surgeon cautioned against doing squats or lunges, not good for the knees and just not great in general, and to not use bands around my legs/knees in training (no problem there, I tore my rotator cuff using bands and I detest them as a result). I can do leg presses and other leg/hip exercises on stationary weight equipment and work the Bosu ball for balance, etc. , also swimming and stationary bike/spinning. He said just to listen to my body, to not overdo in any circumstance--well, no problem there, I don't want to tempt fate.

I have a very long femoral stem, and I asked if there were any negatives associated with that, and he said not really, it just would be very hard to take out but he doesn't expect that will be necessary (only if I had an infection). To that end, he will prescribe antibiotics to me for teeth cleaning and all other dental work. He doesn't believe in tempting fate and is aware of current studies about antibiotics and hip implants, but he knows my personality and thinks I should take them for the rest of my life before dental work, and I will, of course.

I couldn't be happier with the outcome, and I have come a very long way as I was very much in the pits of despair before my revision. I never thought I would have this kind of success with this second implant, I just was sure that I would fall again into the morass of a poor outcome and more pain. I NEVER was pain free after the first implant surgery, and as my postings show, had chronic problems with it. But I have had the opposite experience now, and I couldn't be more grateful. I still occasionally ice with my Ossur unit, it is a wonderful device and I also use it on other parts of my body when they ache. So, all in, things are moving along extremely and I am looking forward to strengthening as much as possible now.

Thank you to all on this forum for your support and encouragement. I am not sure I could have gotten through this experience without you!

And @Josephine is an incredible person, a gem, an asset, a diamond in platinum, and no words could express my appreciation for all her responses and reassurances. I just can't believe I am now a success story--pinch me!
 
Thanks for sharing the wonderful news. I'm so happy for you!
It's been a long road but your future looks bright. You are a success story.
Your journey gives hope to anyone following a similar path. There can be a happy ending!
Please stay in touch. Would love to hear more updates.
Big hugs to you!
@chalcedonian1
 
:thankyou: so very much for that wonderful update.
I have been SO hoping that you were doing well.

You took on the challenge of turning this around head-on...educating yourself on all things Revision...and bravely working toward Well.
Very happy for you.
Do pop in when you are able!:ok:
 
Wow @chalcedonian1 , what a fantastic report back. Looks to me like the revision has given you your life back; I am so very happy for you!

I am interested that your new doc advised against squats and lunges. My biokeneticist actually had me doing squats last week, and they put me in terrible pain (to my as yet unoperated hip). Needless to say I have stopped those.
 
:wave: Hope this holiday season is happy and hopeful for you!
:dancing::merry christmas::re-snowman:
 
Hello chalcendonian1, I just read through most of this thread and found it very interesting and useful. Thank you for taking the time to document your pre-surgical worries and actions and your eventual results. It helps to know I am not alone in my worries about how to select the right revision OS, why did my prosthesis loosen, how will it not happen again, did the first OS make an error, etc. etc. I, too, am facing a revision where both components are loose and will be swapped out. As with you, it appears my original THR used a prosthesis that was too small and put me at high risk of loosening. Although I was quite functional and active with my new hip for 9 years, I had intermittent aches and pains throughout that time, usually quite mild but certainly noticeable and not pleasant. The discussion of NSAIDs surprised me and is something I want to talk to my OS about. The warnings about PT I have read over and over on this forum. I know I will be getting a few sessions of in-home PT, but it sounds like I really do not need to bother with outpatient PT. I love to walk, and it turns out that is the best PT of all as long as it is not overdone.

Here is wishing you continued success in your recovery. I'm so pleased to hear how well you are doing.
 
Hi @chalcedonian1
I hope you had a lovely Christmas and are doing well.
You're coming up on your 6 mo Anniversary. Would love to read how you're doing when you have time to update.
Wishing you peace, health and happiness in the New Year!
 
Hello everyone,

Thank you for the well wishes! I am doing really well, I have very little to no pain. The slight pain is when I might overdo slightly, but my tolerance is increasing, as in, the more I do, the more it takes to trigger anything. It is truly a miracle to me. I never expected to be able to run down stairs again, but that is just what I have been doing! I truly feel blessed, and all the hard work I have done, all the research and worrying, and all the physical work (walking) has been most certainly worth it. I am proof that there IS hope.

I hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season as much as I am. If I can ever help anyone even just a little bit, it makes my postings worth it too.

@Josephine I hope this holiday season finds you well, and thank you again for all your encouragement, specificity, and just plain being there--as I have said before you are a national treasure!!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!
 
I am really happy for you @chalcedonian1 ; it is wonderful to read how well you are doing, after all you have been through. I wish you continued healing, health and happiness always. I am sure the last of the twinges will disappear over time.

Enjoy the rest of the holidays, and wishing you a hippy new year. [emoji126][emoji2]
 
Hi:wave:
Wonderful news! Couldn't be happier for you after all you've been through.
The future looks bright and I'll bet 2019 will be great!
Hugs and best wishes. :loveshwr:
@chalcedonian1
 
@chalcedonian1 I have read your entire thread, cried through the beginning as your thoughts, and worries of what was causing pain are all hauntingly familiar.

I hope to be similarly FIXED this Thursday. Very grateful to you for your thoughtful progression through the phases of shock, acceptance, selecting the right surgeon and then rehabilitation. If you are ever back here, I just wanted you to know your words give me hope. Wishing you continued pain free mobility.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Back
Top Bottom