TKR Long painful recovery?<

Yes, comfortable side sleeping was a long time coming for me as others have said. I still use a little pillow at six months - maybe more out of habit, than necessity these days but it was quite necessary for several months.
 
At 8 months, I am finally sleeping consistently both on back or either side. My left (surgery) leg still feels quite heavy when I sleep on my side and when I need to turn over, it's almost as if I have to throw the leg or help it over with my hands. That said, I haven't needed a pillow between my legs for about 4 months. Progress can be slow, but it comes. Sweet dreams.
 
I have to apologize to somebody, maybe a couple of somebodies. I just discovered I have an in box and there were three messages there advising me of rules here, procedures, and how to accomplish certain postings.I am sorry if I violated any of these. I can assure that any violation was due to my difficulty with this medium. Even after getting directions, I don’t always seem able to execute them correctly. Hopefully, I won’t err again. I do appreciate this forum and it definitely helps.
 
As far as I know, you’re in the board’s good graces. The messages were most likely just trying to help you out. Lots of new members don’t read the How to Use This Forum section. I’m still learning how to do things. If it’s in any way complicated, I freeze, then sigh, then figure it out... but some things still defeat me, especially if on my phone. You’re in good company. :friends:
 
Thanks you....they were helpful to me and in the form of guidance, but they did point out some mistakes I made and at least one rule I violated, which I just didn’t know about. Glad I can still participate.
 
I had to be called down a few times, too. In my early days, I made lots of mistakes. Thank God, the moderators forgave me! This site is a God-send for so many people, me included!
 
As November ends I complete 4 months since surgery. I manage about 4 hours natural sleep, then a Tylenol PM to finish the night. Still unable to sleep on side. Back aches after laying on it for long time, so I pull knees to chest to loosen. I also have pain outside my knee, radiating down outside of calf. I describe it as a sharp pain. Last visit with surgeon he asked if I’m getting better and I said yes, because overall, I am. But now I’m wondering about this sharp pain I have from my knee down my calf. Surgeon said I’m a little behind in healing. Wondering if this sounds normal or should I seek intervention. Sharp pain increases when I bend my leg. I generally don’t feel it waliking.
 
Normally, when the knee and leg hurt it's because we've done too much. At 4 months, you are only 1/3 of the way of being healed. Try slowing down and resting more for a week or so and see if your leg calms down.
 
I'm in a situation where my surgeon said PT and I'm getting pretty aggressive sessions.
Do PT,i f you feel it helps, but remember that it is your knee and you are the only one who has the right to say what will happen to it.
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?
CONSENT: what it means and how it can be used

So, speak up and say NO to the aggressive therapy.
Therapy like that won't help your knee at all, but will keep it angry, inflamed, and swollen.

You are the boss when you go to PT. Whether you pay the therapist directly or through your insurance, you are paying the therapist's wages. You don't have to please your therapist. He/she has to please you.

It's not exercising that gets you your ROM and rehabs your knee - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen, so it can show itself.

Always bear this in mind:
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
​
 
Surgery was August 1, 2017. I am having sharp, burning pain on the outside of my knee, and sometimes down the outside of my calf. It always comes on when I drive or lay on my side, regardless of which side I lay. Has anyone.else experienced anything like this ? Otherwise, I am generally well. Any idea what this is?
 
Do those exercise on the link sisterinhim send. Very good, and easy to do!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom