Guest viewing is limited

TKR lmb my knee replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I am so sorry for you! I hope your daughter can get some other help and you can get a Rx for some home assistance from your husbands doctor..

Do you have outside assistance from perhaps a church? Or neighbors.. This is the time to use it.. and try not to feel that you must do for all.

Its hard suppressing the mommy duties.
 
We have a son that is helping us out. He is going to the store for us today. Thanks for asking.
 
You've had an unfortunate turn of events, especially with your husband's heart attack. Your daughter will be fine, she's a mother of three and hopefully her husband is available and willing. Don't try to do everything, have a quiet Christmas this year, next year will be better.
 
I'm really sorry to hear that your husband had a heart attack, @lmb .
I'm glad he's home with you again. You can convalesce together.

I'm really glad your son is helping.
Your daughter and her family will cope without you and the very last thing you and your husband need right now is to catch a tummy bug.

This is the time for you and your husband to call in help for you from the family. It's time for them to return all the loving and care you've given them.
If you read this article, it may help you to feel better about not being able to help them right now:
Nurturing mother: how to let go and accept help
 
TMy right knee needs partial replacement and after this experience I will NOT have the surgery.
A lot of us have felt that way in the first month or so. In the darker days of my 2nd knee surgery I remember saying to myself "I did this voluntarily? Twice?" :heehee: But the final results have been so worth it!
 
When you do feel ready to have the other knee done (and you will, in time) my advice is not to have a partial, because so many of them need to be revised relatively soon. Ask to have a TKR, which will be much more durable.

I had to have my PKR revised to a TKR after eleven years, which is much longer than many PKRs last. Some have to be revised in less than a year.
 
Oh I am sorry to hear you are having a rough time. I hope your husband is recovering and that worry will ease as he gets better.

I'm in the depression club too. I made sure they continued my depression meds in the hospital, but these have been dark days indeed.

I thought I was doing myself a favor by having the surgery in November so I could just get cozy in the house and snuggle thru it. But the feeling of being absolutely stuck inside has been horrible.

I really understand and want to support you if I can. Hang in there.


Laura
LTKR 21 November 2016
 
I'm sorry to hear about your husband's heart attack. I hope you both have a speedy recovery. Right now it's time for your children to help you.
 
Posts like this scare me to death. Having mine done 12/27. I'm planning on being back at work at no later than 4 weeks post surgery. The sleep scares me more than anything because I'm a really good sleeper. Scares me to death to think about just lying awake all night. What do you do????????


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Expecting to be back at work in 4 weeks is very optimistic.

When you can't sleep at night, you get up, sit quietly and read, watch TV, or take up a sedentary hobby. You catch sleep in short bursts and nap during the daytime as well. Sleep where you can, how you can, and when you can.

Sleep disturbance is a normal part of recovery. It will pass. Accept it as normal, because getting worried about it just makes it worse.
 
It still scares me as I wonder how long this will last. I slept from 9.30pm until 1am. Best stretch of sleep I have had. I highly doubt you will be ready to go back to work in 4 weeks. But you never know. Some people breeze right through this. Others like me struggle.

I think I have a low pain tolerance. When I can't sleep I am usually due for pain medication so I do take my meds. I will try for at least an hour to go back to sleep before I give up and jump on my laptop to read and get my mind off what I am going through. So its 2.09am and I will probably be awake until 4am. Then I get an hour more sleep before the husband is up making coffee and noise.
 
The first few weeks I seemed to sleep in 2 or 3 hour bursts. However, I found that if my total amount of sleep including just falling asleep during the day added up to about 7 hours I was OK.
I sleep right through now. (8 weeks out). However, I'm sometimes taken aback at how tired I can be after relatively lazy days. I start yawning uncontrollably at about 9pm!! I hope you have a few goodnights sleep soon.
 
Sleeplessness was very difficult for me as well. I didn't sleep all night until 12 weeks, when I went back to work part time. I still napped through the day (I'm not a napper and haven't napped since) and got a full night's sleep, but I think it was from pure exhaustion.
 
So its 209 am and I will probably be awake until 4 am.
Perhaps it's better not to plan how long you are going to stay awake. You are just programming your sleepless time. If you wake up, lie quietly or get up and do something to distract you. Thinking about when you will fall asleep again is only raising the stress level. Don't fight this - just roll with it.
 
Folks are right. Don't worry about sleeping. That's the worst thing you can do. The first few weeks I spent sleeping on and off throughout the day and night, but I've learned to not obsess about it. That just keeps you awake longer.
 
Wow @mbrown have to agree with others about being able to return to work at 4 wks. It's not just sleep issues, I was pretty fortunate I'm not a great sleeper usually wake up during the night once or twice anyway, but with this surgery when I woke up I felt I needed to get up for a bit, usually watched some t.v. and returned to bed. Overall you will get the sleep your body requires, naps are great during this time, and a nap helps break things up, sitting in a chair all day watching t.v gets old also, sleep allows healing. But in the early weeks eating habits are different, pain meds can cause drowsiness and your not allowed to drive while using them, you need to ice and elevate and get your meds in as scheduled. Your adjusting to walking yet, probably using a cane at this point, oh and the energy drain and brain fog. You may be scheduled for outpatient or at home p/t yet. Guess you will have to play it by ear to see if your ready, just a lot going on in your body yet towards healing.
 
mbrown, I may not be typical, but I thought my sleep patterns were pretty much the same after as they were before both surgeries. Some people experience a disruption, but please don't worry about it. Worrying about it may make the problem worse than it would have been.
 
OK. Now we've talked about sleep disturbance, please can we return to the main topic of this thread, which is lmb's recovery? Thank you.
:merryx:
 
Posts like this scare me to death. Having mine done 12/27. I'm planning on being back at work at no later than 4 weeks post surgery. The sleep scares me more than anything because I'm a really good sleeper. Scares me to death to think about just lying awake all night. What do you do????????


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543

Remember not everyone has sleep disturbances. I have slept quite well with both surgeries. Good pain control is critical.


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
I have never been a good day sleeper. I do try to at least to rest with my eyes closed. Last Sunday my husband had a major heart attack. He is home and doing better but it took a lot out of him. Plus my daughter is pregnant and has 3 little girls. Tummy flu going around their house and I am use to helping her out. The whole world is falling apart and I am helpless in my recliner unable to care for anyone besides myself.

Dearest IMB, take a deep breath. THIS IS GOING TO GET BETTER! YOU WILL SLEEP WELL AGAIN! I hope both you and your hubby have a restful day today and that you both continue on the road to recovery. 2017 will hopefully be a healthy year for you both. I hold you in prayer for a complete recovery. Some folks compare this period to that of the newborn weeks of exhaustion, unsureness, anxiety and sleeplessness. Like that period this too shall pass. As nurturers it is so difficult to be sidelined but it's not forever and your new knee is going to give you years of playing with those grandbabies! Is there ONE thing that's better today?


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom