helenium
member
- Joined
- Dec 10, 2017
- Messages
- 183
- Gender
- Female
- Country
United Kingdom
Until recently I would say that most of my increased strength has come from activities of daily living (on my own) and walking (not to excess). Does that sound familiar
? Improvement has been exceedingly slow, but my surgeon warned me that it would be and he is very happy with my progress. I had x-rays and a much-delayed review just a month ago, and it was reassuring to know that I was progressing well and to see that my fractures have healed.
I had a face-to-face PT appointment this week (to address some mid lateral thigh pain) and had a thorough hip assessment too. He was absolutely superb, can't praise him enough. He suggested some exercises to specifically target my remaining weaknesses, and I know I need to do them to get the best possible outcome from this latest hip. I WILL ABSOLUTELY HATE THEM! They're mainly for my glut medius and hip rotators, and the specific exercises address strengthening them. When my new side catches up with the other side I should be able to balance equally on both sides and walk without a limp. My goal is to walk outdoors without a crutch or cane, something I've not been able to do since 2013.
Yes, sorry to say, but I think you probably do. It's hard, I need more too. You must remember, these hips of ours, and their surrounding structures, have been through a lot. Not just revision surgeries, but the consequences of repeated dislocations (partial in my case, and they were no fun). Recovery takes time, but we will get there.
I had my first PT assessment just before Covid arrived. I'd been using 2 crutches (in the UK we tend to ditch the walker asap) and had just been given permission to reduce to 1, as pain allowed. He watched me walking with just the one crutch and suggested just two things, you might find them useful too.
1. Use the 1 crutch (opposite hand), but gradually reduce how much I was leaning on it (making sure to walk heel-toe)
2. Practice standing on one leg (counter-top at the ready to prevent falls)
The one leg balancing exercise was impossible! I do it (when I remember) while waiting for the kettle to boil etc, and although I don't attribute my improvement to that exercise, it's a very useful measure of progress. I'm getting pretty good at it!!
!
Good luck with whatever you decide to do next @Diane60. Exercise that patience muscle really hard too.
? Improvement has been exceedingly slow, but my surgeon warned me that it would be and he is very happy with my progress. I had x-rays and a much-delayed review just a month ago, and it was reassuring to know that I was progressing well and to see that my fractures have healed.I had a face-to-face PT appointment this week (to address some mid lateral thigh pain) and had a thorough hip assessment too. He was absolutely superb, can't praise him enough. He suggested some exercises to specifically target my remaining weaknesses, and I know I need to do them to get the best possible outcome from this latest hip. I WILL ABSOLUTELY HATE THEM! They're mainly for my glut medius and hip rotators, and the specific exercises address strengthening them. When my new side catches up with the other side I should be able to balance equally on both sides and walk without a limp. My goal is to walk outdoors without a crutch or cane, something I've not been able to do since 2013.
It sounds like from Helenium I need to have more patience.
Yes, sorry to say, but I think you probably do. It's hard, I need more too. You must remember, these hips of ours, and their surrounding structures, have been through a lot. Not just revision surgeries, but the consequences of repeated dislocations (partial in my case, and they were no fun). Recovery takes time, but we will get there.
I had my first PT assessment just before Covid arrived. I'd been using 2 crutches (in the UK we tend to ditch the walker asap) and had just been given permission to reduce to 1, as pain allowed. He watched me walking with just the one crutch and suggested just two things, you might find them useful too.
1. Use the 1 crutch (opposite hand), but gradually reduce how much I was leaning on it (making sure to walk heel-toe)
2. Practice standing on one leg (counter-top at the ready to prevent falls)
The one leg balancing exercise was impossible! I do it (when I remember) while waiting for the kettle to boil etc, and although I don't attribute my improvement to that exercise, it's a very useful measure of progress. I'm getting pretty good at it!!
Might be a good idea, somewhere down the line, to know whether you need to target specific areas. We all hate having to do the floor exercises you're referring to. @Schaargi's thread comes to mind. We can all cheer each other on, I'll have to start mine when my PT's email comes through. I'm hoping it won't be today because I'm really not in the mood, or any other day for that matterIs strength training enough or do I need to see a PT
!Good luck with whatever you decide to do next @Diane60. Exercise that patience muscle really hard too.