THR Limping after 11 wks and Leg length difference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, one more thing. I was reading on the forum about using Pure Coconut Oil on your incision scar. Mine healed up great, but is really long....And I have indention where the scar is (like the tissue is gone..like a valley). When I touch the scar I can feel lumps. Isn't that scar tissue and will the Coconut Oil help to break that up? Any advice would be appreciated. Everyone have a Wonderful day!! We have getting a much needed rain here in North Central Florida! Yay...
 
Sandybeach, which type of stretches are you doing? I am doing squats, leg lifts, butt lifts, clam shell, steps, toe raises (although I cannot do many of those anymore) I broke my talus in my ankle in Oct. and those began to make my ankle hurt and begin a clicking noise. There are a couple I do at PT that I can't do at home. I do have a recumbent bike, but my PT doesn't want me to do a full resolution yet. He said b/c it brings my leg up higher than my hip. I will be glad when I can begin riding it since I have one at home. That being said those other exercises are killers!
 
Rah Rah The coconut or any oil can be used on you scar, use your thumb/fingers to message and break up the scar tissue (lumps you are feeling). I don't understand why PT has a problem with the bike after all your surgery was April 8th? Hasn't your doctor lifted restrictions on the 90 degree rule? Mine was lifted at 6 weeks and my surgery as stated in my signature was April 11th. When you have time it might be a good idea to put your information in your signature so that we don't need to read your whole over again. You will find your signature under your name at the top right hand corner there is a drop down menu and you will see it there.
 
Liveringer I will try the oil. I see my Dr. July 11th and I'm sure he will lift the restrictions then. Do you go to PT? If so what kind of exercise do they have you doing? What kind of stretching are you doing if any?
:thankyou:
 
Oh, one more thing. I was reading on the forum about using Pure Coconut Oil on your incision scar. Mine healed up great, but is really long....And I have indention where the scar is (like the tissue is gone..like a valley). When I touch the scar I can feel lumps. Isn't that scar tissue and will the Coconut Oil help to break that up? Any advice would be appreciated. Everyone have a Wonderful day!! We have getting a much needed rain here in North Central Florida! Yay...

Absolutely, coconut oil is the best oil to apply :)
 
Rah Rah My PT sessions are over now as I did them for about 6-7 weeks. Stretching exercises on your back lift leg in the air and hold release do about 5-10 reps, on back slide good leg up knee bent now with op leg try and lift do as many as possible up to 20 this one each time try to lift the leg higher but no need to go higher than the bent knee. I did bike and treadmill. I believe in the library there are recommended exercises and have illustrations. I hope I get the mod by I believe C Mac might be able to help also.
 
How long did y'all go to PT? Does anyone continue to do certain exercise's that help to keep your hip strong?
Hips actually don't need much PT as they have a way of working themselves out in time. Besides which, all you are doing in going to work and all, is exercise enough! Perhaps later you might do some strengthening exercises like clam shells and squats if you want to but you don't need them for recovery.
At what point did you try and lean over to put on your sock and shoe on? Anytime, I lean over just a little it pulls where my incision was so I stop.
I wouldn't let that worry you. It's if it starts to hurt deep inside when you should take notice! And I mean the kind of pain that almost takes your breath away. Pulling at your incision is not in the same league and you need to do it a little bit more every day to get your incision stretched out.
I never knew it could take so long for your body to realign, but makes sense if you have been limping for over 2 years as I have-that it will take a long time to correct.
Well, that's an epiphany for sure! So many people fail to make that connection and get really bent out of shape about why things seem to take so long to get right!
And I have indention where the scar is (like the tissue is gone..like a valley). When I touch the scar I can feel lumps. Isn't that scar tissue and will the Coconut Oil help to break that up?
You don't need anything on your scar as time will sort it out very well. But you can do it if you want to.

I have some questions to ask you:
1. what medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?
2. how often are you icing your knee and for how long?
3. how high are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?
4. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and
5. what kind of PT are you doing? How much and how often?
 
Rah Rah Regarding PT: I am receiving none. My surgeon said not necessary for hip....only for knees. So it appears the range of time for PT is really variable...starting at none. He said just walk walk walk.
 
Josephine,
I was given Oxy-Codone 5mg ever 4-6 t hours, but have only taken one (Friday night) in the last 2 months. I do take a Tylenol if it gets bad enough
I ice several times a day and when I go to bed. I couldn't ice my knee at work (couldn't keep it from sliding off). I can ice my hip and thigh though.
I have a hard time getting my leg elevating enough. When I am really swelled, I got on the floor and put my legs up with my butt right up against the chair. That really helped the swelling.
I am now vacuuming, mopping, doing laundry, some sweeping (I have a bad shoulder). I cook, do dishes but have not done any outside chores..we have horses and I haven't be able to clean stalls. I haven't done much shopping, but have got to the grocery store.
I go to Physical Therapy twice a week. I do leg raises, hip abductors, toe raises, clam shells, squats, putting a pillow between my legs while they are bent and squeezing the pillow, stair steps, butt and thigh squeezes.
I hope that I answered all your questions. My knees are so much better! I believe it was those squats -they were sore to touch the inside of both knee caps. I honestly, could barely carry my weight they were so sore Friday. I haven't done any PT exercise since Thursday. My swelling below in incision site is not swollen much at all:) The best I have felt:) I go to PT tomorrow so we will see, but I'm telling him about those squats. How sore they made me etc. Still limping but walk much better when it doesn't hurt to walk.
Thanks for all your help and suggestions!
 
Hello, I haven't been on here in a while. It has now been just over 4 months. I am still having some gait issues, but mostly walk w/o my cane. I'm worse at work the sitting makes me so stiff even after one hour. I get up every hour and walk but just the same it's a struggle. I do walk on my 15 min. break. My thigh is what bothers me the most and I still have swelling just below the incision site. Not real bad, but enough. I am praying this soreness in my thigh and swelling will one day Be Gone! The good news is I have no pain in my hip!!

I did mount my horse this weekend and it didn't hurt at all!:) After I dismounted my inner thigh was a little tender. Does anyone know any stretches for the inner thigh? I plan to ride Labor Day Weekend- Dr. said it would be fine. I had planned to wait until Oct. to make it six months but my Therapist said why wait? I was scared to death to get on my horse, but am so glad that I did. I still limp from the LLD when I don't wear shoes inside. Doctor says my legs are even -maybe it is my pelvis! PT said I have 2/3 difference- All I know is my HR leg is longer.
Anyone have any stretches for my inner thighs? I also have alignment issue with my back and was thinking of going to a Chiropractor (I know my hip will be off limits). My waste up is tilted slightly to the right and from my waste down a little to the left! Weird, I know and very hard to walk trying to correct! There are changes to my spine slightly. Not sure what to do?
Thanks for listening! Suggestions Welcome.
 
Rah Rah Being able to get on your horse is a huge accomplishment. If you still have swelling you should ice it. The soreness in your thigh should work it's way out unless you have some injury from something else. My muscles get sore too from over use but within a couple days they settle down. If you are struggling after sitting for an hour you should maybe be getting up every half hour and see if that helps with the stiffness. It sounds like if you know of a good chiropractor, a trip in might be beneficial. Might as well give it a try and see if that helps ease the pain and gait.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom