Bilateral TKR Light at the end of the tunnel

Massage + the stretches. Your PT should be able to help with both those, and may be able to show you a way to modify the stretches so you can do them, even if your knee doesn't bend well enough yet.
 
Thank you guys. Been offline for awhile but did get to a back doctor that gave me a cortisone shot in my back. By that afternoon, it seemed to have lessened and has continued throughout this week. My toes are still a little numb but I'm not disabled and miserable.
I also went to PT and they aided in some stretches. I hope to get a massage this coming week.
All great suggestions and so appreciated ☺️
 
Another question
I preface this with, I know everyone is different.
I have 3 weeks left on my leave from work (8total). Knees are doing super. I want to ask about stamina and energy. I try to go out once a day to out of the house. It goes well but then I'm pooped. Sometimes even taking a shower makes me tired. Can you suggest how you worked on this? Are there healing foods for it? I know I'm only human and cannot rush Mother Nature, but I want to use these next 3 weeks the best way I can.
 
I'm not sure that you can do anything to hasten to build your stamina. 8 weeks is very early to go back to work after a bilateral knee replacement. I would suggest that you try to rest now as much as your body needs to. Eating a well balanced diet is also important. Is there any way you can go back with part time hours? We usually suggest returning at 12 weeks with a phased in recovery.
 
My surgeon said 8 weeks minimal since I didn't have any disability. My boss has been generous enough to let me take off and still get paid 80% so I need to try. I probably will be able to shorten my hours and days.
 
Knees are doing super. I want to ask about stamina and energy. I try to go out once a day to out of the house. It goes well but then I'm pooped. Sometimes even taking a shower makes me tired. Can you suggest how you worked on this? Are there healing foods for it? I know I'm only human and cannot rush Mother Nature, but I want to use these next 3 weeks the best way I can.
I'm glad your knees are doing so well.

I'm afraid there is nothing you can do to increase your stamina, except give your body time. This energy drain is a normal result of the major surgery you have had. It does decrease gradually, but that will take a lot longer yet. That's one reason why we suggest taking about 12 weeks off work and then a Phased return to work

Much of your body's energy is still going towards healing your knees and there isn't much left for other activities. Don't forget that you had both knees done as well, so you have double the amount of healing to do and a double dose of the energy drain.
Re-read this article that was given to you in in the reading list in Post #3. It does help to explain your loss of energy: Energy drain for TKRs

When you do go back to work, expect to be very tired. If you can, just do nothing except rest, ice and elevate when you get home.
 
I mistakenly thought I could/should try to build my stamina, yep realized that was not possible. Try to keep your activities to one outing a day and let your body rest and heal as much as you can. I went back to teaching first grade at 12 weeks, but went back part time and was still exhausted by noon. The activity of getting ready for work ( showering, dressing, breakfast, driving to work) had me tired, then I actually had to teach! I spent afternoons resting, elevating and icing.
 
I rested when I needed to, but found that each week I could do a little more and rest a little less. I went back at 8 weeks (full days, but only 3-4 days) and rested when I got home.i tried to stay more active even on the days I didn't work. By 12 weeks I was back to normal in terms of stamina and energy.
 
I had that same knot in my butt. Sitting on and rolling on tennis balls and golf balls brought me some relief. Also sitting on a heating pad. Have you bought new shoes? My old improperly worn shoes were contributing to the periformis irritation. Believe it or not my periformis still knots up at times but it is easier to stretch it out now that the knees are happy. As far as return to work, only you know if that's feasible. The energy drain from two knee replacements is profound. I could have managed at 10-12 weeks but it would have been difficult. Your recovery has been great be careful that you don't create a setback or stall by pushing too hard.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I have a question about my BTKR. Before my knees were hyperextended and now they are not. Before when I stood up straight, my back arched more than normal. Now that my back is straighter and my gait is different, I'm having back pain. It's not much, just enough to feel.
My question to the pros on here, do you have any literature you can advise on the subject? This is my next chapter to overcome.
(And I did return to work working a few hours a day from my home around 6-8 weeks. Now I'm back in the field after 8 weeks, part time. I contribute it to me having very little swelling throughout... and luck!)
 
Many experince back pain after TKR. It can be because of your knees being aligned properly again and it may take time for your back to accommodate these changes. If it persists you can call your Dr or chiropractor. But this is why TKR can take a year to fully recover.
 
Hi guys, been back at work and feeling good. I'm getting strength back every day.
My question is, when I walk fast, I have popping in my knees. People I'm walking with can hear my knees! It doesn't hurt, just weird. Does anyone else have this? Is it normal? Will it go away?
 
Yes it is normal to have popping in your knees it may diminish over time. As long as there is no pain and your knee is functioning well everything is ok.
 
My question is, when I walk fast, I have popping in my knees. People I'm walking with can hear my knees! It doesn't hurt, just weird. Does anyone else have this? Is it normal? Will it go away?
Yes, it's normal to have knees that make noises. as long as it doesn't hurt, there is nothing to worry about. It happens because, instead of the relatively softer bone and cartilage, you now have hard metal and plastic parts moving over each other. Clicking/clunking knee joint after surgery

Often, the noises go away as you heal and your tendons and ligaments tighten up again, but sometimes it doesn't.

One of my TKRs is 5 years old and it still makes noises. The other knee, only 2 years old, doesn't make any noise. Go figure!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom