Lounge Doctor
Ask the Expert Webinar

THR Life as a Double Hipster. How are you doing?

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
You are awesome right now. You are going through two recoveries simultaneously which is very difficult and frustrating but you are managing it. Give yourself many kudos for how much you are accomplishing and improving. It is hard to see our own progress at times since we want it faster and sooner and NOW. I bet if you ask your husband he would mention some things he sees as improvement in how you move. Indulge in some moping (totally normal and I have been there more than once) ice:ice: and Netflix, lots of tea and I hope you feel better tomorrow. :flwrysmile:

OP
OP
A

Ava J

Country
Accomplishing NOTHING at the moment because the last two days I've been wiped out completely. This leg is clinging to stiffness like no one's business, but it's hard to compare with the lefty because lefty was on toe-touch only for 3 weeks, so 2 weeks in, lefty just dangled in the air.
Sitting has been awful these couple of days as my buttock really hurts after a few minutes. Eeeeek.
Need to go out and walk more, I think, to stretch, otherwise it's gonna eat the muscle and my sanity away.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@Ava J please don't worry about muscle atrophy. Very early days for you. There is no need to push to get more active. Short walks, ice and elevation are all that is needed at this stage.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Accomplishing NOTHING at the moment because the last two days I've been wiped out completely.
Two major surgeries, in less than two months?!! You’re a champ!
Take advantage of that wiped out feeling by resting and sleeping when you’re able. Our body does its best healing as we sleep. Wishing you a peaceful weekend and a few comfy naps. :sleeep:

OP
OP
A

Ava J

Country
Went for my 3-week post op.
11 weeks on the left, 3 weeks on the right. All's well. Hips are healing well. I am a go to start walking without crutches, to start using my recumbent bike machine (5 minutes to start), and to practice pointing my feet the right way when I walk. The doc said to let my pain be my guide in this. If it hurts, slow down/stop.
Feeling well this week. Have been doing dishes, cooking things, crutching around the block.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi Ava,
Grest news! You’re doing so well. I had what is referred to as external rotation where my foot turned outward a bit as my hip deteriorated. My surgeon told me that surgery would correct this and it did. Once post op, for a time, don’t remember exactly how long, I still noticed it, but trusted as my body adjusted it would disappear and it did.... without
any practice!

If you notice you’re limping after you set the crutches aside, please consider using an assistive device and practice heel-toe walking until you’re no longer limping.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend!
@Ava J

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Great report and wow cooking and dishes. You are doing very well. Have a peaceful night.

OP
OP
A

Ava J

Country
@Layla

Thank you so much! That's encouraging about the rotation. In my case, I notice it quite a bit, and the doc told me to just keep an eye on it.

I have been doing what you suggested: practicing full strides with proper steps. I do limp without the assistive devices, but it's more of a duck walk. Do you know what I mean? I am still so, so, so stiff. Feeling better every day. :D

@leejaa

Thank you! I am doing well. It's crazy. The other night I rolled over onto my right side without thinking. It didn't last, of course, because that is still super sore, but it wasn't bad. :p

OP
OP
A

Ava J

Country
Yesterday hit the exhaustion point and took a long nap in the afternoon, which isn't saying anything because I'm a night owl and often take naps in the noon, but that one was late, 4:30. Did me a lot of good because I had a sorer right hip all day and was taking it easy.

Walking is becoming less and less awkward. My left hip is almost 12 weeks, and with the exception of the hurting stitches, it feels like nothing's ever happened. Stiff now and then, but that's not unusual.

By the way, would anyone be willing to share how long their stitches hurt? My left ones are stinging regularly. I wonder if that's because I had to do my right hip so soon after my left one, and the healing process was pushed back a little in light of that.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:wave:Hi, double hippy pal.
All that healing happening certainly will sap your energy.:nah:
By the way, would anyone be willing to share how long their stitches hurt? My left ones are stinging regularly. I wonder if that's because I had to do my right hip so soon after my left one, and the healing process was pushed back a little in light of that.
My incisions would sting, pull and we're extra sensitive for the first five months...as I got more active, even later than that I'd get a zap out if nowhere.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello @Ava J
Sleep when you’re able. The best healing happens while we’re sleeping. My incision area was tender for a long time also. It slowly eased over many months, as yours will.
Wow! Three month anniversary of your first surgery coming up already. Just think how great you’ll be feeling by the holidays.
Happy Thursday!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Happy Anniversary! @Ava J
One month for Righty this past Saturday and now Lefty’s three month anniversary this coming Thursday. :yes!: I hope you’re doing well, enjoying progress and feeling stronger month by month.

Have a wonderful week! :)

OP
OP
A

Ava J

Country
Thank you for the responses, everyone. I figured the stitches would hurt forever. I probably shared this, but my I had surgeries for the same problem as a kid, and my scars felt funny into my teenage years. Probably because of growth and hormones and all that because it settled a little after I turned twenty.

Three months on the lefty... Time flies and crawls insanely. Isn't it weird?

This weekend I went on a short outing to a store. WITHOUT CRUTCHES. And I haven't used them around the house for a while now, so good riddance. The stairs are the most difficult part, of course, so I hold on to the rail and park my fingers on the wall for support, but I gots this. :D

I'll be stellar by Halloween. Walking a mile this week.

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Congratulations on your outing. I took my cane along for a while as a way to keep people from running into me and especially little kids running or moving too quickly. It was my extra balance and sort of a mini sign that I should be given space. However, it is so nice not to need a cane or crutch and feel normal. Have a peaceful evening/night.

OP
OP
A

Ava J

Country
Thanks @leejaa

I've been bringing crutches when I go to Costco (huge store) for instance and want to walk a bunch, but surprisingly, I've had to deal with impatient people trailing me like I was blocking their way and kids def don't care. Maybe it's just the area I live in. Ugh.

They do steer clear if I ride on one of those scooter things.

OP
OP
A

Ava J

Country
I also wanted to add for anyone who may read this is that two weeks ago I had a major case of, "This will never end and be my life forever now." Stiff, sore, immobile, with 20 extra pounds (at least). But 4.5 weeks in and life starts looking normal again. I've been doing all sorts of awkward stuff. Sleeping on my operated side. Even trying to lay down on my stomach to see how it feels. The right hip is a trooper!
Just remember: it's gonna get better. Prepare the confetti.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Now, after three years since having my hips replaced, I am still so grateful.
I look back at my recovery thread...and see the anxious posts, the "is this normal?" and "when will I be able to..." pleas for assurance.
Thank you for the update and the reassurances.
This is what makes this forum special.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I also wanted to add for anyone who may read this is that two weeks ago I had a major case of, "This will never end and be my life forever now." Stiff, sore, immobile, with 20 extra pounds (at least). But 4.5 weeks in and life starts looking normal again. I've been doing all sorts of awkward stuff. Sleeping on my operated side. Even trying to lay down on my stomach to see how it feels. The right hip is a trooper!
Just remember: it's gonna get better. Prepare the confetti
:goodpost: Very encouraging message of your progress and uplifting for those following behind you and possibly feeling discouraged. Especially given you’re recovering from two major surgeries within the last three months.
Yay You! :yes!: All the best as you continue healing.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Happy Three Month Anniversary, Lefty!
We‘re prepping the confetti for the big drop :wink:
I hope your holiday weekend is all you want it to be. Enjoy!
@Ava J

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
hopnfox
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom