PKR Let the games begin!!! (therapy/recovery)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@RedRider Good Morning. As far as finding a comfortable/icing position. My method is pretty similar to other member's responses. I use a body pillow as my base pillow and then layer/tier 2 pillows on top of the body pillow a couple inches away from the bottom pillow (to make a gradual elevation). Each day my mobility improves and the pillow castle can be arranged a bit differently depending if I am resting on my side or back.
 
Good Morning/Afternoon everyone. Hope recovery is going well.
The last few days have been ok. I've been taking antibiotics the last several days for a cyst that developed on my left calf a couple days after surgery. Never had one before. So I ice the surgery leg & put a hot pack on the other calf. It may be getting lanced today at an Urgent Care center I've been going to, after my physical therapy session. My thigh is still throbbing on a continuous basis. Assume it's due to the muscle atrophy and the thigh is aching from trying to rebuild the muscle. Still a bit worried about blood clots forming since I had an episode with pulmonary embolism in my lungs due to a dislocated knee about 25yrs ago. My Dr. is aware of my history and put me on blood thinners for about 10 days after this surgery. However, the last 2 days I've been feeling really short of breath when doing the same tasks I've done the last several weeks. Plan on mentioning it at the Urgent Care center today. Not sure (can't remember) if there's a way to see if my oxygen level is where it should be.

Later this afternoon I plan on motivating to cook breaded pork chops & perogies. I've been craving a yummy comfort meal for weeks. And now that the cold weather is upon us...even here in Alabama ....I think the time has come for a fattening meal.
 
Hi @billingcl Hope you get the breathing sorted out and take lots of care. I think they can measure oxygen levels and lung function quite easily and should be able to do it at an Urgent Care centre. I have asthma and have a really simple device at home that I breathe into that measure lung capacity when I have a chest infection.

Hope all these issues resolve quickly and the cyst responds to the antibiotics.

I have no idea what perogies are ! My fav comfort food is a bacon, onion and potato hotpot with cheese on top!

Happy eating over there!
 
Hi @SuperSnapper . Thank you for the well wishes. Yesterday was a long day. Attempted to go to PT and was denied therapy and requested I go to the Urgent Care due to the shortness of breath and my BP was higher than normal. I usually have very low BP. The Urgent Care Dr. looked at abscess and said I needed to go to ER for the other issues and while I was there to have the abscess addressed. After 7hrs I was finally released from ER and felt like they took all the necessary tests to rule out blood clots since that is in my history. They also lanced/packed the abscess. However, I failed a "tilt test" and was referred to a cardiologist. I have an appt. tomorrow morning with the cardiologist and will see if all is well or additional testing, etc. is required to get the breathing/rapid heart rate under control since I still can't perform simple tasks without both occurring. I did some internet research and it said that being in bed for prolonged periods can cause this...so maybe I'm just fatigued from the surgery and laying around while recovering.

The bacon, onion, potato hot pot w/ cheese sounds yummy. Never heard of it before. But sounds like the filling in my favorite perogie. Perogies are dumplings stuffed with various ingredients..potato, cheese, apricots, onions, etc. I cooked my comfort meal this afternoon since I didn't get home until after 10pm yesterday. Unfortunately, I couldn't eat much since everything is tasting really salty to me lately. Assume a reaction to one of the many medications I'm on. This is another symptom that has occurred the last couple weeks. Very disappointing that I can't enjoy my favorite foods because they taste like a ton of salt was poured on it.

Hope you have a great day. Heading to take a nap.
 
@billingcl oh my word, that sounds like a tough day you had. I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this so soon after your surgery. Your system is probably all messed up but at least you are seeing the right people for help. I bet hanging round in ER for that long was grim. Are you on antibiotics for the abscess cos they always make food taste dreadful to me but metallic.? Anyway, I hope your appointment with the cardiologist gives you some answers tomorrow.
I will post you the recipe for the hotpot ,if you'd like it. I found it years ago when we were poor students and its always been a firm family favourite. The perogies sound like my kind of comfort food. It's funny how when we are ill we like comfort or "nursery" food as we call it.
Let us know how you get on. Best wishes
Mary x
 
Hi @kneeper Thanks for checking in on me. I've been meaning to post an update.

This week I'll be 6 wks post op and am hanging in there. All in all I am getting better every day. As of today, if I concentrate on my gate and walk slow, I can walk normal. And I can ride my recumbent bike for 30 min. at a level 4 resistance. :happydance: My post surgery follow-up appointment was on Monday and the surgeon said I'm still a bit behind on recovery expectations for a PKR. He seemed to rush through the appointment and dismissed my areas of concern as normal recovery issues after such a procedure. Said that he has faith I'll get to where I need to be by my next appointment around 1/23rd. Assume (as I've commented in other postings) that I waited a year too long to get the surgery and leg muscle atrophy had set in prior to surgery. I'm working hard though and am at 115 bend, 0 straighten. My shortness of breath isn't as prevalent as it was a couple weeks ago and my heart echo procedure & 24-hr monitor results came back normal. I read on another site that sometimes pain meds can cause breathing problems. Wonder if that is the case with me, as I only take them at bedtime now (if needed). The only other area of concern is regarding sleep....since I'm still having a very hard time. Regardless if I ice and elevate, my thigh aches non-stop as soon as I lie down and I am constantly changing positions due to my entire leg feeling restless & throbbing. I typically toss and turn for hours until I finally fall asleep for an hour or so, only to start again. I start work again this coming Monday since I can't afford to have my pay reduced to 80% STD...pray I can get the sleep issue under control due to my work schedule requiring I wake at 4:30am 5 days a week, work 8-10hrs & have a 2hr commute each way. Work days are long and nights need to be restful. :sleep:

Hope all other members are recovering well and had a great Thanksgiving.
 
It's great that you can do as much as you're doing--sounds great to me for 6 weeks. but I wonder if you might need to ease back on the activity or take some tylenol during the day. Do you still ice?

With being back to work next week, don't worry about doing additional exercises. Some heal slides, stretching and maybe a few minutes on the bike would be the most I'd attempt. Just getting to and from work and working will probably knock the stuffing out of you.
 
@billingcl just popped in to see how you are doing? You sound a lot better. I hope work is ok next week and you manage to sort out your sleeping pattern
 
Hang in there @billingcl, you're doing great. I agree with your doctor; you're going to get where you want. Unfortunately you've had some big hurdles to get over but you're getting there. Your ROM numbers are excellent!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom